Rushkani

Tourist visa from India

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, My husband has PR and we are in the process of of applying for his US citizenship but it seems like it will some time. We are expecting our first child next month and really want my in-laws to be here. We are alone here. They have already been denied for tourist visa twice based on traveling reason.  They just asked two questions...who lives in US and reason of visit. They had hired an agent there but he wasn't very good at guiding them. We really want them here because of the baby now. How should we approach this in the consulate? What kind of evidence should we submit? They have business in India so there is a strong tie to the home country. Would really appreciate all your help!

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Rushkani said:

Hi, My husband has PR and we are in the process of of applying for his US citizenship but it seems like it will some time. We are expecting our first child next month and really want my in-laws to be here. We are alone here. They have already been denied for tourist visa twice based on traveling reason.  They just asked two questions...who lives in US and reason of visit. They had hired an agent there but he wasn't very good at guiding them. We really want them here because of the baby now. How should we approach this in the consulate? What kind of evidence should we submit? They have business in India so there is a strong tie to the home country. Would really appreciate all your help!

Thanks!

You could apply again, however the odds aren't in their favor. If they've been denied twice and now they're wanting to come for a baby, it's going to look even more likely that they will stay. If your purpose is also to have them help with childcare, etc. that isn't something they can legally do or provide as an argument to travel, as USCIS views it as taking away a job from the US economy and working. Also, there is nothing you can do to sponsor their visa. They will need to apply and be accepted/rejected on their merit alone, however I wouldn't get my hopes up.

There's no evidence to "submit"....they fill out the DS-160 and interview. They can carry documents with them such as bank statements showing they can afford the trip and ownership of the business, but the CO usually does not look at documents.  There's nothing to "guide" them other than maybe how to fill out the DS-160 form and guide them to the embassy/consulate.

They are free to apply. I wish them good luck.

With 2 previous denials, it's unlikely to be granted unless there is a material change in circumstances. Also, having a child soon would be more of a reason for them to stay and/or help take care of the child, which is considered work and not allowed on a tourist visa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Rushkani said:

Thanks!

Agents generally aren't helpful at all with a tourist visa. You and your husband cannot submit any evidence that will improve their chances of getting a tourist visa. Your in-laws have to qualify completely on their own merits but demonstrating strong ties to India. So they should bring proofs of their business, properties, other family living in India, etc. 

Visa agents in India are viewed as scrupulous. Many tend to be unethical and charge tens of thousands in rupees to help with documentation and fill out the application. They go by unnecessary checklists.. invitations, financial support letters, w2s, tax returns, blah blah.  None of those are required!!!! Many coach applicants in how to interview. Your husband probably sent over a bunch of documents the agent requested, no?

With two denials, their odds are slim unless something significant changed. But nothing stopping them from applying again. Indian parents' assistance with childcare and babysitting is being viewed more and more as unpaid work that takes jobs away from US persons, and thus being scrutinized a lot more. You shouldn't be alone; Indians in the US tend to have a wide social network. 

What about your parents or your mother? An expectant mom's mother is usually around in Indian culture. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

• 5 months later...
On 10/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, Rushkani said:

Thanks!

Did they reapply? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.