2,200 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I filed my I-751 the 22nd of October. They received it the 24th of October but I haven't received a NOA yet. When I was reading this thread I noticed that the filing locations seemed different. I filed my submission to California, Laguna Niguel. I double checked on the USCIS site and found only 2 places where to file. Since I am in Florida I had to send my file to Dallas Texas!!!! I did panic slightly (spooky Halloween surprise haha) as my gc expires the 4th of November. So I called USCIS and spoke to a representative. He told me that I should have sent it to Dallas and that more than likely they would return my file to me. And that I should just file it again. So today I worked on my new file, I have it all ready to send out tomorrow with USPS 1 day service. It should get there the 2nd of November, just in time. The representative said that even if it would get there late it still would not be a problem. On the USCIS site however it says they can deport you so I do not want to take any risks. I read a lot of what was said in this thread but didn't see anyone with this same problem - filing at the wrong location. I still don't understand how I ended up with the California address! I am a very organized person and I looked it up just as I did today. I prepared my file in September but didn't file until now as I still needed to travel abroad. I didn't want to not be here in case I had to go to a biometrics appointment. Does anyone know if the filing locations were different last month?

I will also have to go to the bank in the morning to get a new check and see if my check wasn't cashed yet.

Any helpful thoughts on this predicament?

N400 timeline

02/21/2020 - Filed N400

02/22/2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled

02/28/2020 - paper NOA and Biometrics letter received

03/13/2020 - Biometrics appointment

03/06/2020 - Succesfull walk in Biometrics

10/23/2020 - Received appointment letter online 

12/03/2020 - Interview appointment 

12/10/2020 - Received notice that oath ceremony will be scheduled 

01/21/2021 - Uploaded statement about objection to bear arms

01/22/2021 - Received notice that invitation to oath ceremony has been sent

01/28/2020 - Received letter in the mail with invitation to oath ceremony

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, vtbui86 said:

if it is taking this long to process a case, then what happens in the mean time while the card is expired? Are we suppose to go out and get a ID from the RMV to use as identification?

No, once you filed form I 751, you will be given 18 months extension of your legal permanent residency in form of a letter on you NOA. Please note, that both the NOA letter and your expired green card is the ID you need to either get a job or change a job or even travel out of the USA and reenter without an issue, in other words the NOA letter serves as same worth of green card, but you need to make a copy, keep the original letter safely at home while you carry the expire green card with the copy on your person always, because that's the only proof of your status. I wish us all good luck

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Soley said:

Hello everyone,

I filed my I-751 the 22nd of October. They received it the 24th of October but I haven't received a NOA yet. When I was reading this thread I noticed that the filing locations seemed different. I filed my submission to California, Laguna Niguel. I double checked on the USCIS site and found only 2 places where to file. Since I am in Florida I had to send my file to Dallas Texas!!!! I did panic slightly (spooky Halloween surprise haha) as my gc expires the 4th of November. So I called USCIS and spoke to a representative. He told me that I should have sent it to Dallas and that more than likely they would return my file to me. And that I should just file it again. So today I worked on my new file, I have it all ready to send out tomorrow with USPS 1 day service. It should get there the 2nd of November, just in time. The representative said that even if it would get there late it still would not be a problem. On the USCIS site however it says they can deport you so I do not want to take any risks. I read a lot of what was said in this thread but didn't see anyone with this same problem - filing at the wrong location. I still don't understand how I ended up with the California address! I am a very organized person and I looked it up just as I did today. I prepared my file in September but didn't file until now as I still needed to travel abroad. I didn't want to not be here in case I had to go to a biometrics appointment. Does anyone know if the filing locations were different last month?

I will also have to go to the bank in the morning to get a new check and see if my check wasn't cashed yet.

It's a bit sad you filed to a wrong address location, it's a bit disturbing because your GC expires on November 4th. What you have not elaborated is if you got the package sent to California back to you or not. Let's assume they return it back, normally, if the check isn't cash within 3days to a week of the package delivery as regards courier tracking #, it indicate the package would probably be sent back. This rejection NOA always comes in exactly 2 weeks., that is when they normally send the package back if they've decided to. So if you have received the package returned back to you, that's good, you can resubmit the application to the right address at Dallas TX, since you resides in Florida, you need to file at Dallas TX. You will need to express it so that the package arrives before your 90 days window elope you, the fact is that your application needs to arrive the appropriate processing location within the 90days prior to your GC expiration. If they haven't return your package, try to go to your bank to confirm your check, if your check is cashed, then you have nothing to worry about, it simply means they've accepted your application. But if it's over a week and your check isn't cash yet, it's a bit disturbing as I won't suggest you file a second application without been sure of the status of the first one. So it's dicey for that fact that your GC expires soon....Here is an advise, if your check is not cashed, give USCIS a call, let them understand you sent your package to a wrong location, also tell them your GC expires on November 4th, and inform them of your intent to submit a second application to the right location while you wait for the first one to be return since you had noticed the check hasn't been cash yet. Good luck, wish you the best... Below is where u need to send your application

Alabama
Armed Forces - Europe
Armed Forced - the Americas
Connecticut
Delaware
Washington, District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Unknown
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS
P.O. BOX 660480
Dallas, TX 75266

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: I-751
2501 S State Hwy 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Edited by prok

7 hours ago, prok said:

It's a bit sad you filed to a wrong address location, it's a bit disturbing because your GC expires on November 4th. What you have not elaborated is if you got the package sent to California back to you or not. Let's assume they return it back, normally, if the check isn't cash within 3days to a week of the package delivery as regards courier tracking #, it indicate the package would probably be sent back. This rejection NOA always comes in exactly 2 weeks., that is when they normally send the package back if they've decided to. So if you have received the package returned back to you, that's good, you can resubmit the application to the right address at Dallas TX, since you resides in Florida, you need to file at Dallas TX. You will need to express it so that the package arrives before your 90 days window elope you, the fact is that your application needs to arrive the appropriate processing location within the 90days prior to your GC expiration. If they haven't return your package, try to go to your bank to confirm your check, if your check is cashed, then you have nothing to worry about, it simply means they've accepted your application. But if it's over a week and your check isn't cash yet, it's a bit disturbing as I won't suggest you file a second application without been sure of the status of the first one. So it's dicey for that fact that your GC expires soon....Here is an advise, if your check is not cashed, give USCIS a call, let them understand you sent your package to a wrong location, also tell them your GC expires on November 4th, and inform them of your intent to submit a second application to the right location while you wait for the first one to be return since you had noticed the check hasn't been cash yet. Good luck, wish you the best... Below is where u need to send your application 

Alabama
Armed Forces - Europe
Armed Forced - the Americas
Connecticut
Delaware
Washington, District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Unknown
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS
P.O. BOX 660480
Dallas, TX 75266

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: I-751
2501 S State Hwy 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

I totally agree it's sad I filed to the wrong location.... I still don't understand why!

As to them sending it back to me; I haven't had any notice whatsoever but the representative at USCIS told me to go ahead and file it again, this time at the right address. I will include a note stating these facts. So they know there is another identical file out there. I will go to the bank to find out if they have cashed the check. I didn't know that once they cash the check, your file is automatically accepted, is this true? Did you get this information from somewhere I can verify it? Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I did find the right address in the meantime, just in time thankfully.... I had no idea I had sent it to the wrong address..... Thanks to this thread!

N400 timeline

02/21/2020 - Filed N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
10 hours ago, Soley said:

Hello everyone,

They changed the filling addresses effective September 11.

It's unfortunate but hopefully the USCIS customer service rep was right and they will return the first package. You don't want to pay twice. I am pretty sure they don't return any money back, but I could be wrong.

N-400/Naturalization application

Spoiler

·         10/30/2019 - Filed N-400 Online - Case Was Received and A Receipt Notice Was Emailed

·         10/31/2019 - NOA 1 dated October 30 available online

·         11/02/2019 - Status Changed to Biometrics Appointment Was Scheduled

·         11/04/2019 - NOA 1 dated October 30 in the mail

·         11/04/2019 - Biometrics Appointment notice dated November 1 available online

·         11/08/2019 - Biometrics Appointment notice dated November 1 in the mail

·         11/21/2019 - Biometrics Appointment

·         11/21/2019 - Status Changed to Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

·         12/30/2019 - Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled

·         12/31/2019 - Interview notice dated December 30 available online

·         01/06/2020 - Interview notice dated December 30 in the mail

·         02/06/2020 - Interview at local USCIS Office - APPROVED

·         02/06/2020 - Status Changed to Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

·         02/12/2020 - Status Changed to Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

·         02/13/2020 - Naturalization notice dated February 12 available online

·         02/18/2020 - Naturalization notice dated February 12 in the mail

·         03/11/2020 - Naturalization Ceremony - US CITIZEN!

·         03/11/2020 - Status Changed to Certificate Of Naturalization Was Issued

US Passport application

·         03/11/2020 - Applied for US Passport at local USPS with expedite service

·         03/16/2020 - Received email that Application is In Process

·         03/17/2020 - Check was cashed

·         03/23/2020 - Received email that Application is Approved

·         03/26/2020 - Received the Passport Book in the mail

·         03/27/2020 - Received the Certificate of Naturalization in the mail

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Soley said:

I totally agree it's sad I filed to the wrong location.... I still don't understand why!

As to them sending it back to me; I haven't had any notice whatsoever but the representative at USCIS told me to go ahead and file it again, this time at the right address. I will include a note stating these facts. So they know there is another identical file out there. I will go to the bank to find out if they have cashed the check. I didn't know that once they cash the check, your file is automatically accepted, is this true? Did you get this information from somewhere I can verify it? Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I did find the right address in the meantime, just in time thankfully.... I had no idea I had sent it to the wrong address..... Thanks to this thread!

Yes, if the cashed the check you are good to go, it means the package was accepted, so before you send the second one check with your bank to see if the check was cashed. 

Edited by alexpop13

Spoiler

·         10/30/2019 - Filed N-400 Online - Case Was Received and A Receipt Notice Was Emailed

·         11/04/2019 - Biometrics Appointment notice dated November 1 available online

·         11/08/2019 - Biometrics Appointment notice dated November 1 in the mail

·         11/21/2019 - Status Changed to Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

·         03/11/2020 - Status Changed to Certificate Of Naturalization Was Issued

US Passport application

·         03/11/2020 - Applied for US Passport at local USPS with expedite service

Timeline
59 minutes ago, NPL said:

Our package was received on October 16th (checked by tracking number). Our check still has not been cashed and we have not yet received a NOA1. Should we be worried?

It seems like they are taking longer to even cash the check. It should be cashed shortly assuming you sent the right fee and the app is properly filed. Also did you include the e-form notification? 

They received ours Tuesday, 10/30. Nothing so far.

Spoiler

US Passport application

59 minutes ago, alexpop13 said:

They changed the filling addresses effective September 11.

It's unfortunate but hopefully the USCIS customer service rep was right and they will return the first package. You don't want to pay twice. I am pretty sure they don't return any money back, but I could be wrong.

Thank you alexpop, I was so confused as to how I ended up with the wrong address but that makes sense... we should have double checked near the date of sending but we didn't. I am thinking of including a note that also says if the former check was already cashed please don't cash again. Something like that.

N400 timeline

02/21/2020 - Filed N400

2 hours ago, alexpop13 said:

Yes, if the cashed the check you are good to go, it means the package was accepted, so before you send the second one check with your bank to see if the check was cashed. 

Just called the bank. They have not cashed the check. CAlled USCIS again; got someone else telling me I could wait for the 30 day period in which they would return the app to me and then send it again with a note attached. We think we should probably send in the new app anyway with a note attached about the other app. As time is not on our side...

N400 timeline

02/21/2020 - Filed N400

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, alexpop13 said:

It seems like they are taking longer to even cash the check. It should be cashed shortly assuming you sent the right fee and the app is properly filed. Also did you include the e-form notification? 

They received ours Tuesday, 10/30. Nothing so far.

looks like it takes about 7-10 days to get check cashed after they receive the packet.

I-129F sent: 2016-01-09

NOA1: 2016-01-15

NOA2: 2016-03-04

Received by NVC: 2016-03-31

Case # assigned: 2016-04-01

Case sent to consulate: 2016-04-05

Case ready: 2016-04-06

AOS Packet sent: 2016-10-08

AOS Packet received: 2016-10-11

AOS NOA1 x 3 (Text messages): 2016-10-14

AOS NOA1 x 3 (Hardcopy mail): 2016-10-17

Biometrics Letter: 2016-10-28

Biometrics Walk-in: 2016-10-28

I-131 and I-765 approved: 2017-01-04 (Day 85)

I-485 approved: 2017-01-19 (Day 100)

EAD/AP Combo card received: 2017-01-20

Green Card received: 2017-01-25

ROC I-751 Packet sent: 2018-10-26

ROC I-751 Packet received: 2018-10-29

ROC I-751 NOA1 (Text message): 2018-11-02

ROC I-751 NOA1 (Hardcopy Extension Letter): 2018-12-10

ROC I-751 Biometrics: 2019-07-02

Still pending but card was charged yesterday! 

October 27 - Package delivered

October 31 - Card was charged $680 by USCIS (Phoenix Lockbox)

No text or email notifs yet

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
42 minutes ago, lovecherries said:

Still pending but card was charged yesterday! 

October 27 - Package delivered

October 31 - Card was charged $680 by USCIS (Phoenix Lockbox)

No text or email notifs yet

that's fast, considering there was a weekend.

I-129F sent: 2016-01-09

NOA1: 2016-01-15

NOA2: 2016-03-04

Received by NVC: 2016-03-31

Case # assigned: 2016-04-01

Case sent to consulate: 2016-04-05

Case ready: 2016-04-06

AOS Packet sent: 2016-10-08

AOS Packet received: 2016-10-11

AOS NOA1 x 3 (Text messages): 2016-10-14

AOS NOA1 x 3 (Hardcopy mail): 2016-10-17

Biometrics Letter: 2016-10-28

Biometrics Walk-in: 2016-10-28

I-131 and I-765 approved: 2017-01-04 (Day 85)

I-485 approved: 2017-01-19 (Day 100)

EAD/AP Combo card received: 2017-01-20

Green Card received: 2017-01-25

ROC I-751 Packet sent: 2018-10-26

ROC I-751 Packet received: 2018-10-29

ROC I-751 NOA1 (Text message): 2018-11-02

ROC I-751 NOA1 (Hardcopy Extension Letter): 2018-12-10

ROC I-751 Biometrics: 2019-07-02

47 minutes ago, NPL said:

It has been 2 weeks and 2 days for us and still nothing. Check not cashed and no notification. 

Mine was received on the 16th too in Phoenix, AZ. Check cashed on the 19th. Got the text on the 22nd. Can you recall the amount of the check? Correct filing location? Tripled check the I-751 form was signed?

Edited by GreenGem

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.