Ginsay

ROM Neccessary?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

According to the map on the embassy website, the Chicago consulate is yours.  There is info for ROM also, under Other Services

http://www.philippinesusa.org/

If your wife wants her passport in her married name ROM is necessary.   If she wants to use her married name for anything in the Philippines ROM is necessary 

Oh ya, the process can be done by mail.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 minutes ago, Ginsay said:

Is an ROM (report of Marriage) necessary for me and my fiance after we get married? and if so, does anyone know what consulate is in charge of Ohio?

She is a Philippine National who came here on a k1 visa, I was born in the US. I don't know what other information would be pertinent 

Exactly as @Hank said. It is not completely necessary unless she wants to get a passport in her married name. 

7 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

According to the map on the embassy website, the Chicago consulate is yours.  There is info for ROM also, under Other Services

http://www.philippinesusa.org/

If your wife wants her passport in her married name ROM is necessary.   If she wants to use her married name for anything in the Philippines ROM is necessary 

Oh ya, the process can be done by mail.

My wife has her Philippine Passport in her married name, her postal ID in her married name and bank accounts in her married name.  I honestly can't believe how easy it was to do.  It was not what I expected at all.  It was all accomplished within a couple weeks of receiving the PSA marriage certificate.  This was very unlike the Philippines.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Exactly as @Hank said. It is not completely necessary unless she wants to get a passport in her married name. 

A filipino passport to be precise, correct? in other words she can still get an american passport once she has been naturalized.

Can she still use the current one until it expires?

Edited by Ginsay

Just now, Ginsay said:

A filipino passport to be precise, correct?

Yes sir, a Filipino passport. But her still using her maiden name passport to visit the Philippines is perfectly fine as well and there are no problems at all in doing that. 

4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My wife has her Philippine Passport in her married name, her postal ID in her married name and bank accounts in her married name.  I honestly can't believe how easy it was to do.  It was not what I expected at all.  It was all accomplished within a couple weeks of receiving the PSA marriage certificate.  This was very unlike the Philippines.

That is because your wife is still in the Philippines, it is much harder when you try to do it here in the USA. 

4 minutes ago, Ginsay said:

in other words she can still get an american passport once she has been naturalized.

Yes...although note that naturalizing will remove her Philippines citizenship and she will need to apply to regain it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
25 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Ya but you were married in the Philippines and she did it all in the Philippines.  Big difference

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Ginsay said:

A filipino passport to be precise, correct? in other words she can still get an american passport once she has been naturalized.

Can she still use the current one until it expires?

Yes I was talking Philippine passport.    And yes she can use the passport that is in her maiden name, just need to carry a copy of her marriage certificate

Your wife can get her U.S. passport ( in 3 years after she is a USC) in her married name without issue (or any name she chooses during the citizenship process ;)  )

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

15 hours ago, Ginsay said:

Is an ROM (report of Marriage) necessary for me and my fiance after we get married? and if so, does anyone know what consulate is in charge of Ohio?

She is a Philippine National who came here on a k1 visa, I was born in the US. I don't know what other information would be pertinent 

We never did it, and never plan on doing it.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.