WeGuyGal

Any US re-entry with 18-month extn courtesy copy?

29 posts in this topic

Seeing a bunch of posts but no definitive answer. 

Has anyone traveled and returned to the US with the expired green card and the new 18 month extension letter courtesy copy without the watermark?  Does CBP consider the plain white paper copy acceptable? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I would not risk it. I am taking old 12 month extension letter as well. I have heard that few airlines check the document under blue light and might not let you board.

Removal of Conditions

CIS Office :California Service Center

Receipt #: WAC18096XXXXX

Date Filed :2018-01-02

NOA Date :2018-01-04

18 month courtesy copy: 2018-08-18

18 month official copy: 2018-10-22

Approval: 2019-02-01

GC received : 2019-02-08

Couldn't airline folks check in with the RCLG?  Lack of a document should not prohibit a boarding pass being issued once US legal status could be verified. It could take some time though. 

Still looking for any firsthand experience travelling back with the new 18 month courtesy copy

I-751 journey

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I cannot answer the question directly, but I'm in kind of same situation. And I want to know the answer.

I filed I-751 in February 2018.
I received the 12 months extension OFFICIAL notice two weeks after.
I got my Biometrics done in March.
I received the 18 months extension COURTSY COPY in August.

I haven't received the 18 months extension official notice yet!!
I asked some friends who are in the same process, and most of them said they just received the official notice not courtesy copy...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Doesn't the courtesy letter specifically say it is not an official letter, just a courtesy letter to explain what the actual extension letter will say? I interpret that as DO NOT TRAVEL on it. 

I still have time on my other 12-month extension letter so I'm going to assume I can still use that. 

Yes the courtesy copy says in the first few lines that it is not an official letter and that the official one will be mailed.

IMO if you're planning to travel and you still have a 12 month official copy, use that. If you don't, get a I-551 stamp in your passport.

Note there is also a thread of people who are talking about the courtesy copy. I have put in a request for the official notice online.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

On 9/22/2018 at 10:47 AM, Ash.1101 said:

Yes the courtesy copy says in the first few lines that it is not an official letter and that the official one will be mailed.

IMO if you're planning to travel and you still have a 12 month official copy, use that. If you don't, get a I-551 stamp in your passport.

Note there is also a thread of people who are talking about the courtesy copy. I have put in a request for the official notice online.

I'm aware of the other thread. I created this specifically seeking first hand experience about returning with the courtesy copy.  I realize it's possible no one has done so yet. 

I-751 journey

In case this helps:

Airline needs to enter the numbers of your extension letter in to their system (the one that talks with USCIS) in order to get their system to accept you on the flight. Your expired green card number throws an error message and will not let them complete the check in. If those numbers are on the courtesy letter the airline rep can check you in. But if you run into someone that reads the document, you might be in for some long explaining.

Arriving at the border, the officer can run your data on just your passport and expired green card. I presented both and was let in after swiping my passport only. He looked at the green card, but did not swipe it or asked anything about it. I never presented my extension letter. He was not interested in it in any way shape or form.

Having said this, the rules clearly state you need to be able to present the passport, expired green card and the official extension letter. So it's up to you. Be prepared to spent some quality time in secondary if their system goes down and you don't have these three with you. Personally I would not travel without it for this specific reason.

10 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

In case this helps:

Airline needs to enter the numbers of your extension letter in to their system (the one that talks with USCIS) in order to get their system to accept you on the flight. Your expired green card number throws an error message and will not let them complete the check in. If those numbers are on the courtesy letter the airline rep can check you in. But if you run into someone that reads the document, you might be in for some long explaining.

Arriving at the border, the officer can run your data on just your passport and expired green card. I presented both and was let in after swiping my passport only. He looked at the green card, but did not swipe it or asked anything about it. I never presented my extension letter. He was not interested in it in any way shape or form.

Having said this, the rules clearly state you need to be able to present the passport, expired green card and the official extension letter. So it's up to you. Be prepared to spent some quality time in secondary if their system goes down and you don't have these three with you. Personally I would not travel without it for this specific reason.

Source for the bolded above? 

Nowhere does it state official extension letter on the RCLG. 

I-751 journey

Bold part, though you could make an argument about what a receipt is. The white form itself states it is not a actual receipt.

9 FAM 202.2-7(A) LPR Travel with a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)

(CT:VISA-213; 10-12-2016)

a. (U) Form I-551, Green Card: Form I-551 is the primary evidence of an alien's status as an LPR of the United States. Under normal circumstances, an LPR of the United States is required to present a valid, unexpired Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a green card), when seeking admission into the United States. The bearer may use this card, in conjunction with his or her national passport, and any other necessary documentation, to board a U.S.-bound flight and apply for admission into the United States. If an LPRs Form I-551 is lost, stolen, or expires while the alien is temporarily outside of the United States, a transportation company may refuse to board the alien (see 9 FAM 202.2-4 and 9 FAM 202.2-7(C) on issuance of boarding foils in such circumstances).

b. (U) LPR Returning to United States: A lawful permanent resident returning to an unrelinquished domicile in the United States may not require a visa if the alien:

(1) (U) Possesses a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, and is returning to an unrelinquished residence in the United States after a temporary absence abroad not exceeding 1 year; or

(2) (U) Possesses an expired Form I-551 (valid for 10 years) if the expiration date is the only reason for not boarding the alien. If an alien is in possession of an expired Form I-551 with a 2-year expiration date (a conditional permanent resident), see 9 FAM 202.2-7(A), subparagraph c(2)).

c. (U) Conditional LPRs: A Lawful Permanent Resident with conditional status (see 9 FAM 202.2-2, paragraph c) returning to an unrelinquished domicile in the United States may not require a visa if the alien:

(1) (U) Possesses an unexpired Form I-551, provided the alien is returning prior to the second anniversary of the date on which he or she obtained conditional residence under INA 216 or within 6 months of the date of filing a joint petition to remove conditional status obtained under INA 216, and is in possession of a receipt for such filing; or

(2) (U) Is seeking admission or readmission after a temporary absence of less than one year, possesses an expired Form I-551, accompanied by a computer-generated filing receipt issued by DHS USCIS within the previous 6 months indicating that the applicant has applied for removal of conditional status (Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, or Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions) or has been granted a waiver. An alien in possession of an expired permanent resident card with a two-year expiration date must continue to have evidence that the Form I-551 expiration date has been extended.

3 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

Bold part, though you could make an argument about what a receipt is. The white form itself states it is not a actual receipt.

9 FAM 202.2-7(A) LPR Travel with a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)

(CT:VISA-213; 10-12-2016)

a. (U) Form I-551, Green Card: Form I-551 is the primary evidence of an alien's status as an LPR of the United States. Under normal circumstances, an LPR of the United States is required to present a valid, unexpired Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a green card), when seeking admission into the United States. The bearer may use this card, in conjunction with his or her national passport, and any other necessary documentation, to board a U.S.-bound flight and apply for admission into the United States. If an LPRs Form I-551 is lost, stolen, or expires while the alien is temporarily outside of the United States, a transportation company may refuse to board the alien (see 9 FAM 202.2-4 and 9 FAM 202.2-7(C) on issuance of boarding foils in such circumstances).

b. (U) LPR Returning to United States: A lawful permanent resident returning to an unrelinquished domicile in the United States may not require a visa if the alien:

(1) (U) Possesses a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, and is returning to an unrelinquished residence in the United States after a temporary absence abroad not exceeding 1 year; or

(2) (U) Possesses an expired Form I-551 (valid for 10 years) if the expiration date is the only reason for not boarding the alien. If an alien is in possession of an expired Form I-551 with a 2-year expiration date (a conditional permanent resident), see 9 FAM 202.2-7(A), subparagraph c(2)).

c. (U) Conditional LPRs: A Lawful Permanent Resident with conditional status (see 9 FAM 202.2-2, paragraph c) returning to an unrelinquished domicile in the United States may not require a visa if the alien:

(1) (U) Possesses an unexpired Form I-551, provided the alien is returning prior to the second anniversary of the date on which he or she obtained conditional residence under INA 216 or within 6 months of the date of filing a joint petition to remove conditional status obtained under INA 216, and is in possession of a receipt for such filing; or

(2) (U) Is seeking admission or readmission after a temporary absence of less than one year, possesses an expired Form I-551, accompanied by a computer-generated filing receipt issued by DHS USCIS within the previous 6 months indicating that the applicant has applied for removal of conditional status (Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, or Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions) or has been granted a waiver. An alien in possession of an expired permanent resident card with a two-year expiration date must continue to have evidence that the Form I-551 expiration date has been extended.

THIS!,  the non courtesy extension letter has watermark, and airline employees and immigration officers will check that to make sure you have the legit extension letter from USCIS prior to boarding.

I remember when I traveled back to the US from my home country this year with the extension letter, the airline employee and immigration officer did check the watermark of my extension letter to make sure it's legit and not a courtesy copy.

The immigration officer from my home country also questioned me why I still have my expired green card. I just mentioned, because the extension letter is still valid and I dont have to get the I-551 stamp, because you usually have to surrender your expired green card when obtaining a I-551 stamp as a replacement of expired green card and extension letter. 

Edited by Lemon23

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

Filed: Timeline
9 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

It also says that receipt must be issued within the previous 6 months :)  But yes, I suspect that the plain white form won't work. 

11 hours ago, br9k said:

It also says that receipt must be issued within the previous 6 months :)  But yes, I suspect that the plain white form won't work. 

USCIS' exercise in futility then? Costs associated with printing and mailing the plain white forms with no known recognition where it matters most? 

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.