Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey friends, I am preparing for the NVC stage now as my i-130 have been accepted as of June 19th, 2019. 

I went to go get my Certified Criminal Record Check under the Privacy Act at my local RCMP office in Red Deer, AB on Tuesday, June 25th, 2019. I showed them a screenshot of the NVC Website's Canadian Document: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

When I initially went, the representative seemed extremely confused but did not explain why she couldn't comprehend what the NVC is asking for.

She booked me an appointment to do the check, regardless, for today (Thursday, June 27th, 2019.) 

Today I had a different representative. Again, I showed him the screenshot of the website. He seemed somewhat confused and asked me if I was convicted of any crimes or had any pardons. I stated that I've never had either. 

He then went on the explain why he is confused:

"CERTIFIED" Criminal Record Checks under the Privacy act are usually only for those who have been previously convicted of a crime, or may have had a pardon. They can take up to 6 MONTHS to be sent back to me, however, because I have never been convicted of a crime, he said it should only take about a month to receive in the mail. Black and white, this is what the NVC calls for, a certified criminal record check.

"UNCERTIFIED" Criminal Record Checks under the Privacy act are for general public and inquiry, and only take up to 14 days to be sent back.

Because visa processing is a time sensitive issue, I requested both certified and uncertified criminal record checks under the privacy act to be done. This included the "RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings."

Both were $70 + tax.

They did not take my maiden name, only my current first, middle and last name.

22 hours ago, Jaret&Rachael said:

Hey friends, I am preparing for the NVC stage now as my i-130 have been accepted as of June 19th, 2019. 

I went to go get my Certified Criminal Record Check under the Privacy Act at my local RCMP office in Red Deer, AB on Tuesday, June 25th, 2019. I showed them a screenshot of the NVC Website's Canadian Document: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

When I initially went, the representative seemed extremely confused but did not explain why she couldn't comprehend what the NVC is asking for.

She booked me an appointment to do the check, regardless, for today (Thursday, June 27th, 2019.) 

Today I had a different representative. Again, I showed him the screenshot of the website. He seemed somewhat confused and asked me if I was convicted of any crimes or had any pardons. I stated that I've never had either. 

"CERTIFIED" Criminal Record Checks under the Privacy act are usually only for those who have been previously convicted of a crime, or may have had a pardon. They can take up to 6 MONTHS to be sent back to me, however, because I have never been convicted of a crime, he said it should only take about a month to receive in the mail. Black and white, this is what the NVC calls for, a certified criminal record check.

"UNCERTIFIED" Criminal Record Checks under the Privacy act are for general public and inquiry, and only take up to 14 days to be sent back.

Because visa processing is a time sensitive issue, I requested both certified and uncertified criminal record checks under the privacy act to be done. This included the "RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings."

Both were $70 + tax.

They are called "certified" but they are not actually certified. It is very confusing. 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
44 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

They are called "certified" but they are not actually certified. It is very confusing. 

Totally. However, thank you for clarifying! Gives me piece of mind.

• 2 months later...
Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone here can help me. I went to two RCMP offices but appeared they didn't know what I'm requesting. I showed them the instructions from this link https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html. Could anyone pls send a sample copy of their Police Clearance under the Privacy Act which was already accepted by NVC? I am also in the stage of submitting civil documents and this is the requirement I only lack. 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jaret&Rachael said:

Both were $70 + tax.

Hi @Jaret&Rachael. How long were you able to get the copy of your Certified and Uncertified Criminal Records? Any update if it was accepted by the NVC? If I may ask a big favor to kindly send a sample copy of those reports here? 

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

don't be confused with certified and uncertified. most important thing is "FINGERPRINT- BASED" RCMP criminal record check. 

here in toronto/mississauga, you have to go to a certified fingerprint-taker company and they will be the one to submit it to RCMP for the certificate. attached is what i have. note that i didn't submit this to NVC but will bring it to my interview. 

i received the certificate a week and a half after i went for my fingerprints and photo.

search the forum. there will be a copy of the sample certificate somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nd2391 said:

Hello everyone, I live in canada and my police certificate was rejected and they requested me to do under privacy act! So have anyone know what it look like? And NVC accepted the new police clearance? Thank you

What kind did you get and from where? All the answers you need are in this thread.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

10 minutes ago, Nd2391 said:

So I got the one boded/crossing and NVC rejected my documents, so I went to commission fingerprints and redo it’s again under privacy act, but they said it’s will be non certified and not RCMP national entire holding . So I don’t know what to request from NVC for the correct the police clearance! 

You most likely have the right one now. When you get it, compare it to what others have posted about their accepted certs. There are lots of examples over and over in this thread and other threads in here.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Nd2391 said:

So I got the one boded/crossing and NVC rejected my documents, so I went to commission fingerprints and redo it’s again under privacy act, but they said it’s will be non certified and not RCMP national entire holding . So I don’t know what to request from NVC for the correct the police clearance! 

I ended up getting both done and gave both to my lawyer just in case. The lawyer initially sent in the one with the finger prints and photos on it (which I had advised them was the back up version). NVC rejected that one, and after submitting the other one, the one that has NO photo or finger prints on it (The privacy act one). NVC accepted that

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

People are getting confused with the word certified. Just ask for RCMP fingerprint-based certificate under privacy act and you are good. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.