Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

We've had interview schedule for Oct 17th for a while now and had already obtained the name based police check. After getting word that we would need finger print version my fiancee went back on the 12th and we still haven't received it even though the office that does them says they mailed it. She went back again yesterday and had another done and now we're sitting hoping that one of them shows up before we have to fly to Montreal for the interview.

The consulate said, "The applicant may still attend her interview appointment even if she is missing documents. The Consular Officer processing the case would provide her with the appropriate instructions regarding missing documents if necessary." When I emailed asking about the change since we weren't aware of it. We still plan on attending the interview for the scheduled date because the next available for a reschedule is another 3 week wait.

If she is denied at the window, will they just require that she submit the correct version and then passport back to her with the visa issued?

We've done all of this without a lawyer and haven't made any mistakes to this point so showing up to the interview without the correct document feels like a failure.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Timeline
31 minutes ago, msham said:

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

We've had interview schedule for Oct 17th for a while now and had already obtained the name based police check. After getting word that we would need finger print version my fiancee went back on the 12th and we still haven't received it even though the office that does them says they mailed it. She went back again yesterday and had another done and now we're sitting hoping that one of them shows up before we have to fly to Montreal for the interview.

The consulate said, "The applicant may still attend her interview appointment even if she is missing documents. The Consular Officer processing the case would provide her with the appropriate instructions regarding missing documents if necessary." When I emailed asking about the change since we weren't aware of it. We still plan on attending the interview for the scheduled date because the next available for a reschedule is another 3 week wait.

If she is denied at the window, will they just require that she submit the correct version and then passport back to her with the visa issued?

We've done all of this without a lawyer and haven't made any mistakes to this point so showing up to the interview without the correct document feels like a failure.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

From what I understand they probably won't deny her, but rather her visa will pend until all the proper documents are received (they will keep her passport I believe). I asked the consulate pretty much the same thing and they said you can have the proper documents couriered to them after the interview date if needed. Also my interview is the same day, and we haven't gone through lawyers either. Best of luck!! 

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 3.01.20 PM.png

Edited by MariahK

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Timeline

I'm still confused even after reading this entire thread. My fiance is about to go to RCMP to get the Privacy Act certificate, should I also have him get the border crossing one and just bring both to interview just to be safe?? 

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: April 5, 2019 
NOA 1: April 12, 2019
Biometrics Appointment: May 8, 2019
RFIE Rec'd: June 21, 2019 - Request for long form birth certificate

RFIE Reply Sent: July 16, 2019
AOS Interview Date: October 3, 2019, APPROVED 

Green card Received: October 10, 2019

i-751 Filed: September 21, 2021

Timeline

I would get both. I have the privacy act version and it looks like something I printed off the internet. Last week I went to get the other one as well. Awaiting its arrival as I type. Better safe than sorry until they get this straightened out. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, BananaButton5 said:

I'm still confused even after reading this entire thread. My fiance is about to go to RCMP to get the Privacy Act certificate, should I also have him get the border crossing one and just bring both to interview just to be safe?? 

Yes, get both.  There's still so much confusion with what is needed so it's better to have both than being denied and having to wait extra time to get the border crossing one.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my interview next week on October 17th and will be bringing both the Certified Criminal Record check via fingerprinting (CCRC) and Non-Certified Privacy Act check with me. I'll keep you posted on which one they take! 

For those who are wondering how long it took to get the Privacy Act check in the mail: I went to the Commissionaire's office on October 1st and received it in the mail this afternoon (7 business days)! 

Edited by SR_CAN

Timeline
14 hours ago, LLabout said:

THEY ACCEPTED MY POLICE CERTIFICATE!!!!     They rejected my PRIVACY ACT on September 16th (submitted it on 09.14.18), I got the VISA/BORDER CROSSING completed the week after and submitted it along with the rejected PRIVACY ACT certificate on 09.27.18, they accepted all my VISA/BORDER CROSSING documents TODAY (10.10.18).  So i'm' assuming that even though they ask for the Privacy Act document, that the Visa Border Crossing is in fact the one to get.  If I had my time back I would have gotten both done at the same time and it would have saved me 4 full weeks.

I received an email from them stating that the NVC has received all the fees, forms and documents. They will work with the Consulate in Montreal to schedule an interview and send that notice to me.  Does this mean that today is my CC date?

Thank you for sharing! We have already submitted our privacy act one, but they haven't checked it yet. Now we are waiting for the visa one to come so we can upload it as well. How did you submit them? Did you submit them back to back or as an additional document? Congratulations. Let us know when you get your interview date!

Timeline
1 hour ago, SR_CAN said:

I have my interview next week on October 17th and will be bringing both the Certified Criminal Record check via fingerprinting (CCRC) and Non-Certified Privacy Act check with me. I'll keep you posted on which one they take! 

For those who are wondering how long it took to get the Privacy Act check in the mail: I went to the Commissionaire's office on October 1st and received it in the mail this afternoon (7 business days)! 

You're lucky then. Canada Post lost ours and it was completed on September 14th and mailed out then. Still haven't received it and the office involved won't attach a tracking number so it's a complete toss up.

Also, we were told to bring all of these to the interview. Not submit early.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, msham said:

You're lucky then. Canada Post lost ours and it was completed on September 14th and mailed out then. Still haven't received it and the office involved won't attach a tracking number so it's a complete toss up.

Also, we were told to bring all of these to the interview. Not submit early.

Ahh I'm sorry :( When do you leave for Montreal? I'm assuming you're applying for K1 as well?

Don't worry too much about it! Just bring the other police check with you and see what they say. Even if they do ask for it, you'll get approved as soon as you courier it to them! 

Timeline

Yes K1. We leave Monday 15th. Bringing just one check and I know it's the wrong one since it's just name based. 

Just hoping for a lucky draw and I guess we'll mail whatever they request via courier afterwards. 

7 minutes ago, msham said:

Yes K1. We leave Monday 15th. Bringing just one check and I know it's the wrong one since it's just name based. 

Just hoping for a lucky draw and I guess we'll mail whatever they request via courier afterwards. 

Try not to worry! The same thing happened to me - the privacy act one arrived at my house in BC the day I had my interview in Montreal. I handed over my name-based certificate and no one said anything about it. Hope it goes well! 

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

Timeline
8 hours ago, MissMyHusband said:

Thank you for sharing! We have already submitted our privacy act one, but they haven't checked it yet. Now we are waiting for the visa one to come so we can upload it as well. How did you submit them? Did you submit them back to back or as an additional document? Congratulations. Let us know when you get your interview date!

I submitted my Privacy Act one first (as that was what they told us to get), on a Friday, they rejected it by the Monday.  I went the following week and got the Visa Border Crossing one done, then once I received it, I removed the rejected document on the site and added the Visa border crossing one there with a note stating to see below as well, then down below under additional documents I added the Privacy act document with a note stating that this one was rejected but states privacy act as it's what they requested and these are the only documents I could attain from the RCMP.  They reviewed it 2 weeks later, with the approvals of all documents.   I hope this helps :)  Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, ITMFA said:

Try not to worry! The same thing happened to me - the privacy act one arrived at my house in BC the day I had my interview in Montreal. I handed over my name-based certificate and no one said anything about it. Hope it goes well! 

When was your interview?

Timeline
5 hours ago, LLabout said:

I submitted my Privacy Act one first (as that was what they told us to get), on a Friday, they rejected it by the Monday.  I went the following week and got the Visa Border Crossing one done, then once I received it, I removed the rejected document on the site and added the Visa border crossing one there with a note stating to see below as well, then down below under additional documents I added the Privacy act document with a note stating that this one was rejected but states privacy act as it's what they requested and these are the only documents I could attain from the RCMP.  They reviewed it 2 weeks later, with the approvals of all documents.   I hope this helps :)  Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. 

Thank you LLabout for sharing.  I was thinking of doing it the same way you just mentioned, you just made the process little easier.  I'm still waiting for my Visa Border Crossing certificate from the commissionaire requested last Friday morning. Also waiting for other documents in the mail as well. At the same time I paid the Fees Oct 09th and I am waiting for it to show paid. I will update as things progress. Again, thank you for your information, it really does helps. :yes: Hope it also works for everyone else as well.    

Edited by Kat & Jim
Correct date Fees paid.

Service Center: Nebraska 

Consulate: Montreal, Canada 

Marriage: 1994-07-02

I-130 Sent: 2017-11-13

I-130 NOA1: 2017-11-17

I-130 RFE: 2018-06-01 (Requested Large Marriage Certificate-Applied to Government for Certificate)

I-130 RFE Sent: 2018-06-29

USCIS Email Received acknowledging receipt of RFE: 2018-07-10-same date shows received on USCIS website.

I-130 Approval NOA2 Letter received with Notice date of: 2018-08-10

I-130 Approved-NOA2 USCIS Website: 2018-08-13 

USCIS Email received stating we sent your case to NVC on: 2018-08-20 (Email received: 2018-09-13)

NVC Received Case: 2018-08-27-Date received by phone call to NVC-advice given to call NVC 7 days after case sent to NVC

Called and also emailed NVC to ask question about New Requirement for Police Certificate Effective Sept 10th: 2018-09-07, was advised would take 8 weeks for case number from date received at NVC. (Only took 3 weeks)

Received Case number: 2018-09-18-Email Received 

Received AOS & IV Bill: 2018-09-18-Email Received

Paid AOS & IV Bills: 2018-10-09

CEAC website shows AOS & IV as "Paid":  2018-10-11 (2 business days) 

IV Application (DS260) completed: 2018-11-01

Submitted AOS & IV Documents: 2018-11-04

Case Complete: 2018-11-09 

Interview date received by phone call and email: 2018-12-17

Interview Date: Jan 25, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. 

Interview Complete: APPROVED ! 🙂🙂

Passport/Visa received at home address in BC: 2019-02-01

4 minutes ago, msham said:

When was your interview?

Check out my timeline (on the left of this post, under the little fox pic) for details, but my interview was September 19th. I found out about the new requirements shortly before, and did my best to get the new certificate but it didn't arrive in time. 

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.