The Nature  Boy

Canadian ‘First Man’ actor defends omitting American flag planting on moon: Achievement ‘transcended countries and borders’

83 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, LeesaMarie said:

But hey, why not keep repeating images just for the sake of it, right? 

If that's what you get from this, you do not understand, perhaps as a world citizen you can take pride in an event your species participated in, as an American I take pride in what my country did. 

President John F Kennedy promised to put an American on the moon in the 1960s, his promise rang true.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

If that's what you get from this, you do not understand, perhaps as a world citizen you can take pride in an event your species participated in, as an American I take pride in what my country did. 

President John F Kennedy promised to put an American on the moon in the 1960s, his promise rang true.

On the contrary, I admire the American achievement of making it to the moon. It's amazing. My point is that the writer of the film, is telling the story of a man, and that the man in this story that is being told is the focus, not the flag that got there first.

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

10 minutes ago, LeesaMarie said:

On the contrary, I admire the American achievement of making it to the moon. It's amazing. My point is that the writer of the film, is telling the story of a man, and that the man in this story that is being told is the focus, not the flag that got there first.

Would you be ok with a similar omission of a particular fact of history if it affected your native country and your national pride of it's accomplishments if the person telling the story consciously chose to ignore it?

Edited by Randyandyuni

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Would you be ok with a similar omission of a particular fact of history if it affected your native country and your national pride of it's accomplishments if the person telling the story consciously chose to ignore it?

but it's not being ignored. a different story is being told. it's just not being highlighted. no one is hiding it. it's a bio pic of American astronaut, do we all need to see a flag to understand what that means? 

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

The point is that, you are not making a decision to include something, you are making a decision to purposely edit something out 

yes, because the focus of the film isn't about America's achievements? clue is in the title guys. if someone released a movie about the moon landing itself and only the moon landing, and how proud America should be because of it, then maybe, just maybe I'd agree. but that is absolutely not what this film is about. 

The story can be all about the first man, it can highlight Armstrong's accomplishments, trials and tribulations, but by removing  the flag you are removing the most vivid imagry of the event. Would you feel better with the UN flag to preserve it as a world event?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

The story can be all about the first man, it can highlight Armstrong's accomplishments, trials and tribulations, but by removing  the flag you are removing the most vivid imagry of the event. Would you feel better with the UN flag to preserve it as a world event?

quite the assumption. I don't feel either way, I merely understand why it's not being included. and it's definitely not because people want to hide the fact that America got to the moon, as previously suggested. people are upset that this film is about a single person and not about America it seems. 

10 minutes ago, LeesaMarie said:

quite the assumption. I don't feel either way, I merely understand why it's not being included. and it's definitely not because people want to hide the fact that America got to the moon, as previously suggested. people are upset that this film is about a single person and not about America it seems. 

No I asked a question, but feel free to make an assumption about me.

The reason I asked about the UN flag was because the article mentioned it as an alternative to the American flag in 1969, I object to the denial of history in not including the flag because it trancended borders, I would have argued against excluding the UN flag if it had been used. But I believe it was an American event, that will not vhange

Sorry I do not believe in revisionist history. Think of a film about WWII without the magificent speeches from Winston Churchill, highlighting British courage and strength, the man could turn a phrase.

9 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

No I asked a question, but feel free to make an assumption about me.

The reason I asked about the UN flag was because the article mentioned it as an alternative to the American flag in 1969, I object to the denial of history in not including the flag because it trancended borders, I would have argued against excluding the UN flag if it had been used. But I believe it was an American event, that will not vhange

Sorry I do not believe in revisionist history. Think of a film about WWII without the magificent speeches from Winston Churchill, highlighting British courage and strength, the man could turn a phrase.

how about a movie about the slave trade and we hire non race specific people to play the different roles.

Timeline

then I misunderstood what you wrote. no I wouldn't feel right with a UN flag in place of the American flag. for clarity, I was not supporting the actors statement, or the article. I was putting forth my own view as to why it may have been omitted, and why it made sense.