midwinterrose

How long have you and your SO spent apart?

The Longest Time You've Spent Apart?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What's the longest stretch of time you and your SO have spent without seeing each other in person?

2. 2. What's the longest stretch of time you and your SO have spent without talking on the phone and/or video chatting?

• 4 hours or less
    • 8ish hours
    • 12ish hours
    • 1 day
    • 2 days
    • 3-7 days
    • Between a week and a month
    • 1 month
    • More than a month
    • And we're still together
    • And we've broken up
  3. 3. How long have you been a couple?/How long were you a couple?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hey!  Just curious how long some of the long-distance couples have gone without seeing each other in person, and/or talking on the phone.  For us the record is about 1.5 years without seeing each other in person, and probably the longest we've gone without talking on the phone is about 2-3 days, because one or the other of us didn't have access to a phone or cell signal for a couple days.  We've been together nearly 10 years now, almost all of it long-distance.

Edited by radharose

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I'm very thankful for the means we have in order to make this work.   In another point in time i'm not sure how a relationship like this would make it.   We try to see each other every 6months (sometimes its a little less) .  Typically if we don't hear from each other within an hour one of us gets concerned (unless we are sleeping).  We tend to wake each other up during sleep because we miss each other or for prayer.  We spend between 5 to 10 hours a day on video each day many more on chat.   Video is tough because we both work but when we are not we carry each other everywhere we go.   My family and friends are use to me carrying him around on the phone (not sure what they think about it...lol).   Waiting for the day this will all be a memory.

• 1 month later...

Unlimited data is quite possibly the best thing ever! Hahaha!  If we are both at home, we are on skype. It doesn't matter what we are doing - or if we even stay in the same room the whole time, we're just "there" doing life.  People tend to look at us very very funny when they hear that yes - we "skype sleep" too.  I work nights, so I basically function on Aussie time anyway.  It's gotten to the point where if one of us is busy for something and we can't skype sleep - we don't sleep well at all if we can even fall asleep!  We laugh when the call drops on our shared days off because we hit the "24 hour mark" and we have to call each other back.  Even when we play Xbox together - we'll stay on skype, even though we are in an xbox party chat too (just mute skype).  It's fun to make faces at each other and sometimes he gives me a hard time because the others in the group can't see me talking with my hands but he can.  When we aren't home, we are on WhatsApp.  I think the longest we've gone without a text is 4 hours.  We've been together for 2.5 years, and only been in the same physical space for a total of 39 days (4 trips to visit).  Any day now and we should be hearing back on our paperwork (waiver filed Oct 12, 2017 - current processing times 12-16 months -- hoping to be on the front end of that!!)  The waiting and silence on the process progress is a fresh type of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone, but I'm so grateful that I have someone who endures it with me and knowing that when this passes, we'll be side by side for the rest of our lives makes it worth it! 

• 2 weeks later...

With our jobs and careers, we're "doomed" to be apart longer than 7 months at some point. We email if everything else can't work.

I find that it doesn't matter how often we talk, as long as we truly communicate. :)

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

• 2 months later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

The longest we spent apart was about 20 months (he moved to the USA and I moved back to NZ, from Europe). I was finally able to visit him and we got engaged on my last weekend with him, and then we decided to marry before I left at the end of that week. We skype at least once a week and talk on the phone every night, unless one of us is away for a weekend on a trip then we'll usually just message. Together for 6 years, married for 2 :D at NVC now! Can't wait to be together soon ❤️ 

• 3 weeks later...