dr0wsydruid

Joint Bank Account when we HAVEN'T started the CR1 process yet

27 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, aestherisms said:

Heyo! My husband (US) and I (Canada) are looking into gathering more proof for our application. We have tons of travel stuff and all that, but he and I both very much want to open a joint bank account. (Largely because I'll be helping save for the i130 and the i129f that we plan to file come October.) 
The only issue, is that Chase bank (where my husband banks) refuses to let me either sign up for a joint account WITH him, OR be added to his current account. They keep saying we need me to have a residence in the US, and prove that I have it by having a bill in my name or something similar. I obviously don't have that stuff. 
Do you guys know which bank we CAN open a joint account with that'll allow me to be part of it regardless of me not living in the US yet? Even if he has to open it himself, and then add me to it, that would be fine.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this question--if it is, lemme know, and I'll try to fix it. 
Thanks!

Are you both in Canada? My spouse and I were joint account holders through RBC (both the cross-border US bank and RBC proper) with little issue. Those were the only joint accounts we had and they didn't give us any problems in terms of proof.

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto
I-130 mailed from Toronto: 10/30/15
I-130 received: 11/3/15
NOA1 via email: 11/5/15 - case routed to CSC
NOA1 via snail mail: 11/17/15

NOA2 via email: 12/9/15!!!!!

NOA2 via snail mail: 12/16/15

NVC received case: 12/16/15

Case # and IIN over the phone: 1/4/16, assigned 12/29/15

DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid: 1/4/16

DS-261 reviewed over the phone: 1/8/16

Sent AOS and IV documents, received and paid IV fee: 1/11/16

Scan date: 1/12/16

DS-260 unlocked and completed: 1/13/16

Case complete: 2/18/2016

Interview date: 4/12/2016 -- visa approved!

CEAC status issued: 4/13/16

Arrival in US: 4/29/2016 !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i assume already married (no timeline)

when you fie tax returns for 2018 in the spring,  have canadian spouse fill out the W7 form to get a ITIN (individual taxpayer ID number) and add him to your tax returns

take the ITIN to the bank with POA from spouse to bank

US bank regulations allow this

I added Adil  while he was still in Morocco

for example foreigners working in the USA have this to open bank account

the only time u can apply for the ITIN is when filing taxes

since u are not doing the130 till october there is plenty of time to do this before interview 

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Roel said:

Damn, you have things severely confused. You can't file any I129f, since you're already married.

This is the only guide you should be following - http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

We really do! The USCIS website is confusing and outdated, I have severe situational anxiety about it all, it's a big mess. 
We're gonna just exclusively use the visajourney guides, I think--this is the only place online that looks and feels like the best place to go for info and support. 
Thanks so much for your comment! ❤️

Timeline
4 hours ago, NikLR said:

K3's are only granted about .01% of the time.  Don't waste your time.

You can open an account in Canada and in the USA and add your husband onto your US account if you wish.  RBC does these cross border banking accounts.  (I have one, so I know.) TD also does them  I find RBC easier simply because I had zero issues starting a credit card in the USA with my SIN and Canadian credit score after I started working down here.  

You need a form called a w8-ben to be added onto a US account as a non-resident alien.  Get your husband to specifically ask a bank manager about that form and to add you onto an account.  The teller will have no clue.  Military banks do it all the time but they're used to foreign spouses. 

We've decided to not go the K3 route, so thank you so much for saving us that trouble, lol. 

We'll look into doing the w8-ben with Chase, as well as maybe adding him to my bank. We figured it'd be better if we added me to his, because I'm the one moving, but honestly, joint finances are what they are regardless of where they are. 
You're super helpful, tbh, I'm really grateful for your involvement in my question! 

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

Also you are currently in Canada correct?  So adjustment of status (which would be required for the K3 btw) is only for people who are present in the USA.  You cannot intend to enter the USA to adjust status.  (they allow this in Canada, they do not in the USA.) It is fraud. 

The CR1, while it takes longer, is the superior visa to the K3 in every way.  I've seen 1 K3 go through Canada since 2012.  One other person tried and it was sent back by Montreal to be processed as a CR1.  (Montreal is where you will be interviewing btw.) The K3 takes about 1 month less than the CR1 and is half the visa and twice the cost. 

I am in Canada, yeah. And yikes yikes, we definitely don't wanna do anything fraudulent in this process. Just the idea of that is frightening--but then, I'm one of those people that has stupid irrational fears of like...being denied border entry on a visit because the border guard just really hates my shirt that day. 

We'll definitely do the CR1 instead, then. This is all so complicated and overwhelming for us, but Visajourney seems like a great place for us to set up internet-camp while the process happens. ❤️

Timeline
1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

i assume already married (no timeline)

when you fie tax returns for 2018 in the spring,  have canadian spouse fill out the W7 form to get a ITIN (individual taxpayer ID number) and add him to your tax returns

take the ITIN to the bank with POA from spouse to bank

US bank regulations allow this

I added Adil  while he was still in Morocco

for example foreigners working in the USA have this to open bank account

the only time u can apply for the ITIN is when filing taxes

since u are not doing the130 till october there is plenty of time to do this before interview 

Shoot, yeah, I have to update that as well. 

I'd heard about ITIN's but hadn't looked it up, and forgot until now. Thanks for reminding me! ❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
17 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

Wells Fargo allowed me to open an account when I was just a student in the US. I showed them my Canadian passport because I had no American issued ID obviously but I can't remember if I showed them my I-20 (official paper proving US student visa status). Perhaps your husband can give them a call or visit and ask.

16 hours ago, aestherisms said:

!!! Perfect, we'll definitely check with WF too. Thanks for your reply! ❤️

We opened a joint account at Wells Fargo as well when I was visiting the first time! Just visiting on ESTA, no visa of any kind. They got all the info from my passport, nothing else needed!

42 minutes ago, aestherisms said:

I am in Canada, yeah. And yikes yikes, we definitely don't wanna do anything fraudulent in this process. Just the idea of that is frightening--but then, I'm one of those people that has stupid irrational fears of like...being denied border entry on a visit because the border guard just really hates my shirt that day. 

We'll definitely do the CR1 instead, then. This is all so complicated and overwhelming for us, but Visajourney seems like a great place for us to set up internet-camp while the process happens. ❤️

Well you're doing the right thing by being on VJ and asking questions before you guys do the paperwork. There have been cases of people who come on here, sent the paperwork but then have no clue what they're supposed to do after. I checked your previous link again and was shocked to see the page was updated Feb 2018! I don't know why they still have info about K3 up anywhere. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

Try Bank of America. Back in 2016 we were successful obtaining a bank account there without my SSN or ITIN. My passport and visa were enough. The only thing is you gotta go there in person. It won’t work online 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure which coast you’re on, but if on the West, First Interstate Bank is top notch and I’ve been banking with them for over 12 years long before I was married or lived in the USA. 

I don’t know how much has changed but I was able to open my account with them over the phone (speaking directly to the branch, and being in Montana they have lots of experience with Canadians)

Edited by thinblueline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As a former Wells Fargo and Bank of America client, I can not in good faith recommend either bank even to my worst enemy. 😮

https://www.firstinterstatebank.com/personal/banking/checking/

First Interstate's Regular Checking only requires a $500 minimum balance to waive the monthly fees and no other requirements (direct deposit, minimum # of transactions), which could be good to open and keep on the side as your joint account without having to switch from Chase initially.

Regular Checking

Our Regular Checking account provides an opportunity for customers who normally maintain a lower balance to still take advantage of a variety of benefits and features. Pay bills** and manage your account from anywhere, anytime while receiving top-notch customer service when you visit a branch. Regular Checking is a great choice if you need a full range of account features like unlimited check writing, statement options, and account alerts without high balance restrictions.

I'm not sure where you currently bank in Canada, but BMO Harris Bank is definitely worth checking out as they offer completely free checking, and free online trasnfers from your Canadian account to your US Account. I maintain an account there just to be able to easily and quickly move money from Canada. You can open an account online as a Canadian with BMO Harris.

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/bank-accounts/cross-border-banking#

https://www.bmoharris.com/main/personal/checking-accounts/smart-advantage/

4 hours ago, thinblueline said:

As a former Wells Fargo and Bank of America client, I can not in good faith recommend either bank even to my worst enemy. 😮

https://www.firstinterstatebank.com/personal/banking/checking/

First Interstate's Regular Checking only requires a $500 minimum balance to waive the monthly fees and no other requirements (direct deposit, minimum # of transactions), which could be good to open and keep on the side as your joint account without having to switch from Chase initially.

I'm not sure where you currently bank in Canada, but BMO Harris Bank is definitely worth checking out as they offer completely free checking, and free online trasnfers from your Canadian account to your US Account. I maintain an account there just to be able to easily and quickly move money from Canada. You can open an account online as a Canadian with BMO Harris.

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/bank-accounts/cross-border-banking#

https://www.bmoharris.com/main/personal/checking-accounts/smart-advantage/

This is a fairly recent thing for BMO.  It wasn't offered when I relocated in 2013.  P

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.