kimlynn

IR5 Mother Petitioning Minor Children

7 posts in this topic

Hi, my mom just got here  in the U.S under IR5 one week ago , She hasn't receive her green card yet. I'm wondering when can she file a petition for my minor sister? Does she have to wait to file petition until she receive her actual green card or she can file now? And when can she apply for social security and actually work? The USCIS told her upon entering the U.S that she has to wait for her green card to be mail to her up to 6 months. Any info with this matter would be very appreciated. Thanks

Her endorsed visa is a temporary green card valid for 1 year. 

Has anyone paid the immigrant fee online yet?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Spoiler

hi

she can file immediately, with the i551 in her passport, then when she does get her GC, she will need to send copy of GC

4 hours ago, aleful said:
  Reveal hidden contents

hi

she can file immediately, with the i551 in her passport, then when she does get her GC, she will need to send copy of GC

Hi, thank you for your response. I don't see a i551 on her passport. Is that a stamp? I will have to take a look again. 

5 hours ago, NikLR said:

Her endorsed visa is a temporary green card valid for 1 year. 

Has anyone paid the immigrant fee online yet?

I paid for her green card online before she flew here.

10 minutes ago, kimlynn said:

Hi, thank you for your response. I don't see a i551 on her passport. Is that a stamp? I will have to take a look again. 

Look at the wording printed at the bottom of the immigrant visa.

1 hour ago, kimlynn said:

I paid for her green card online before she flew here.

As mentioned the visa will become a temporary I-551 (green card) upon endorsement.  Read the bottom of the visa.  

Good if you paid for the green card it should be there within a few months.  Wait 2 weeks for the SSN to arrive and then go to the SSA office to get it if it doesn't. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.