B-B

Joint Sponsorship K1 visa which form?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about having a joint sponsorship for my K1-visa. Currently my fiancee, California resident, is living with me in The Netherlands. He just finished a 18 month master program and will be moving back to California in September. Because he lived with me in the Netherlands and will not have a job when he moves back, we asked his parents to be the joint sponsors. Lukily they wanted to help us and agreed to become the joint sponsors for my K1 visa. His dad is retired and has a gross income of 100.000$ a year + other assets he owns, his mom is also retired and has a gross income of 40.000$ a year. There are no other people in this household that depend on their incomes.

So I have 3 questions about the joint sponsorship:

1. Will their incomes be enough to let my K1 visa be approved? Also since my fiancee will be unemployed because of him living abroad and moving back.

2. Which form do his parents need to fill in? The I-134 or the I-864?

3. Which other documents (besides Tax return) do his parents need to add to my case in order to support their incomes?

I really hope somebody can help me finding the answers to my questions because I am stressed out about it!

Thanks for the help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Brittd said:

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about having a joint sponsorship for my K1-visa. Currently my fiancee, California resident, is living with me in The Netherlands. He just finished a 18 month master program and will be moving back to California in September. Because he lived with me in the Netherlands and will not have a job when he moves back, we asked his parents to be the joint sponsors. Lukily they wanted to help us and agreed to become the joint sponsors for my K1 visa. His dad is retired and has a gross income of 100.000$ a year + other assets he owns, his mom is also retired and has a gross income of 40.000$ a year. There are no other people in this household that depend on their incomes.

So I have 3 questions about the joint sponsorship:

1. Will their incomes be enough to let my K1 visa be approved? Also since my fiancee will be unemployed because of him living abroad and moving back.

2. Which form do his parents need to fill in? The I-134 or the I-864?

3. Which other documents (besides Tax return) do his parents need to add to my case in order to support their incomes?

I really hope somebody can help me finding the answers to my questions because I am stressed out about it!

Thanks for the help!

usually for k-1 only a I-134 required. some embassies do not allow co-sponsors. you would have to check on the US Embassy in the Netherlands about what form they accept and if they accept co-sponsors. good luck

Edited by Alabamak1

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Check the income requirement for their household on the USCIS website. Easily found. Figure out how many people are in the household and add your foreign fiancé. You don’t count. Also it sounds like you want to use both parents as co-sponsors. Not allowed. Pick one and go with that. 

I864 is only used during aos after you are married. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Also, if your fiance is currently living with you in the Netherlands, you almost certainly want to consider if a K-1 is the right path to take. It will likely be easier for you in a lot of ways to get married first and do a CR-1.

I sometimes think some people are a bit overzealous in making that recommendation here, but if you're living with your partner overseas, you should almost certainly consider that path unless you can't legally marry there and marrying somewhere else (whether the US or a third country) isn't practical.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline

Thank you all for responding to my questions. 

So if I make sure I understood the answers right:

- I need to find out if the U.S. Embassy in Amsterdam allows a co sponser?

- Also I need to let one of my Fiancee's parents fill in the I-132 instead of the I-864 right?

As an answer to the getting married in NL and apply for the CR-1: 

My Fiancee finished his master's program last week which means he has to leave the country. Also he doesn't want to stay in the Netherlands any longer so he can maybe find a job meanwhile I am doing all the visa work. So he will be leaving the Netherlands in September. My application was received on Februari 12th so I did not even got my NAO yet. Also I believe we have a strong case: we have been engaged for 9 months and we have a lot of evidence showing that we have been in a relationship for 3 years now. The only thing that can get us denied is the financial part which we thought we found a solution for.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I didn't check your timeline first, and incorrectly got the impression you had yet to file. Sorry about that.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
2 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

I didn't check your timeline first, and incorrectly got the impression you had yet to file. Sorry about that.

no problem!:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.