Gamboli

N400: Move to different state right after Biometrics

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have just done my Biometrics last Friday, but I will be moving from Texas to Virginia. I have come across a lot of horror stories about people's file being lost during the move to another state. How much does this move to a different state going to set me back by? Currently the field office I'll be transferred to has less backlog than the one I'm currently with. 

Also my wife who is out of the country has a pending I-130 petition. Is this going to affect her situation in any way?

I highly appreciate your response.

Thanks

Edited by Gamboli

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Gamboli said:

Hi,

I have just done my Biometrics last Friday, but I will be moving from Texas to Virginia. I have come across a lot of horror stories about people's file being lost during the move to another state. How much does this move to a different state going to set me back by? Currently the field office I'll be transferred to has less backlog than the one I'm currently with. 

Also my wife who is out of the country has a pending I-130 petition. Is this going to affect her situation in any way?

Thanks

It shouldn't be an issue as long as you do the following:

1. Do a change of address form asap to update it

2. Make an infopass apppointment so an IO can actually check the system to make sure the update actually went through

I filed my N-400 and moved out of state 3 days later....I did the address change form same day, got confirmation in my email etc., but it didn't change in their system. So they sent NOA & Biometrics to my old address and thankfully I had a lawyer, who emailed me a copy of my biometrics appointment.

I had to make an infopass and inquire and they said for some reason the address never got updated.

10 hours ago, BigEZ said:

2. Make an infopass apppointment so an IO can actually check the system to make sure the update actually went through

I filed my N-400 and moved out of state 3 days later....I did the address change form same day, got confirmation in my email etc., but it didn't change in their system. So they sent NOA & Biometrics to my old address and thankfully I had a lawyer, who emailed me a copy of my biometrics appointment.

I had to make an infopass and inquire and they said for some reason the address never got updated.

Thanks. There are like No Infopass appointments available. I just have to contact my lawyer.

I really appreciate your advice, but your situation seem slightly different than mine tho, I didn't even know I'd be moving until 2 weeks ago, and my Biometrics appointment was already scheduled. But in your case, you filed, and then immediately moved prior to scheduling your Biometrics. At this point I just need to transfer my case to Norfolk, VA from Dallas, TX and that's the part that is making me worried.

My main concern is actually my wife's I-130, since its being served at California Service Center, and she is out of the country, my move to a different state shouldn't have any impact on her, right? Because I know if you're doing an AoS it could affect you negatively since your file has to be transferred? But in my case, my locale shouldn't have any impact on her processing because the jurisdiction for F2As won't change by me simply moving? Could someone kindly clarify this for me? 

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, Gamboli said:

Thanks. There are like No Infopass appointments available. I just have to contact my lawyer.

I really appreciate your advice, but your situation seem slightly different than mine tho, I didn't even know I'd be moving until 2 weeks ago, and my Biometrics appointment was already scheduled. But in your case, you filed, and then immediately moved prior to scheduling your Biometrics. At this point I just need to transfer my case to Norfolk, VA from Dallas, TX and that's the part that is making me worried.

My main concern is actually my wife's I-130, since its being served at California Service Center, and she is out of the country, my move to a different state shouldn't have any impact on her, right? Because I know if you're doing an AoS it could affect you negatively since your file has to be transferred? But in my case, my locale shouldn't have any impact on her processing because the jurisdiction for F2As won't change by me simply moving? Could someone kindly clarify this for me? 

Thanks

I don't believe this should affect your wife's case in anyway. I would try to look for infopass appointments on Monday morning at 5 am ish. Seems to be the sweet spot for most people.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline

I was in sorta the same situation. I had my interview this morning, and I was approved and my status changed to "oath ceremony will be scheduled". 

I applied in my old state, but needed to move to my new state. I did my biometrics in my new state, because it usually doesn't make a difference where you do the biometrics, it's easy to route to other field offices. My interview was scheduled in my old state. So I traveled yesterday specifically for the interview. The interviewer stated that it was fine to interview there, but I could only do my biometrics in my new state. My biometric will be scheduled in my new state.

Edited by gnakr

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline
19 hours ago, gnakr said:

I was in sorta the same situation. I had my interview this morning, and I was approved and my status changed to "oath ceremony will be scheduled". 

I applied in my old state, but needed to move to my new state. I did my biometrics in my new state, because it usually doesn't make a difference where you do the biometrics, it's easy to route to other field offices. My interview was scheduled in my old state. So I traveled yesterday specifically for the interview. The interviewer stated that it was fine to interview there, but I could only do my biometrics in my new state. My biometric will be scheduled in my new state.

Lol, I obviously had not slept well yesterday. By "I could only do my biometrics in my new state..." I meant "I could only do my oath interview in my new state. My oath ceremony will be scheduled in my new state."

Citizenship Journey:

9 minutes ago, Gamboli said:

Thanks for all your response guys. I noticed that changing my address on N-400 application took care of my AR-11 as well. Is this a recent development?

Thanks

That happened with me. I didn’t know I had to file a change of address form when I moved so I hadn’t and I’ve been living at my current address for 5 years. When I filed N400 earlier this year, I put my current address and all of my notices came to the correct address without issues. 

🇺🇸N-400 Timeline🇺🇸 

2/02/18 Filed Online 

2/02/18 Application Received 

2/03/18 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

2/20/18 Biometrics Completed

5/04/18 Interview Scheduled

6/14/18 Interview (Approved)

7/10/18 Oath Ceremony Scheduled

7/26/18 Oath Ceremony

U.S. Citizen as of July 26, 2018! :)

Thank you all for your response. So after I updated my case it displayed the following message:

We transferred your application to another USCIS field office for review

It has significantly reduced the processing time for me. But how long is it going to take for the status to change? 

Thanks again

Timeline
5 hours ago, Gamboli said:

Thank you all for your response. So after I updated my case it displayed the following message:

We transferred your application to another USCIS field office for review

It has significantly reduced the processing time for me. But how long is it going to take for the status to change?  

Thanks again

Mine only took about 1 day.

They originally mistakenly scheduled my oath in the old state. Upon realizing they descheduled it, transferred it to the new office, and a few hours later I got my new oath date. Thankfully it's at around the same time. But it may depend on the office also.

Edited by gnakr

Citizenship Journey:

• 4 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 7:15 AM, Gamboli said:

Hi,

Thanks

On 7/29/2018 at 7:54 AM, BigEZ said:

On 7/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, gnakr said:

On 8/1/2018 at 7:38 AM, ohman said:

I moved half way across the earth after biometrics. We just did the oath. 

If you keep all your ducks in a row and make sure you are getting your mail you should be fine. 

On 8/3/2018 at 1:05 AM, CTgal18 said:

That happened with me. I didn’t know I had to file a change of address form when I moved so I hadn’t and I’ve been living at my current address for 5 years. When I filed N400 earlier this year, I put my current address and all of my notices came to the correct address without issues. 

Hello eveyone!

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I need really any kind of information about moving and changing address. My I-751 is still pending and I applied in Los Angeles. I can apply for the N400, and I will do it soon, because I don't want to wait and lose time. The challenge is the address. 
I will be moving to the another state, but I am not sure exactly when.

• -If I apply for N400 in LA, from my current address, and I move to another state before biometrics or after biometrics (in a short time after applying), will USCIS reject my application, because I wouldn't live at the new address 3 months? (as this is a requirement). Did they ask you anything about NOT living at the new address for 3 months before applying for N400?

Of course, I would send the notification of changing the address immediately after moving. 

Filed: Timeline
On 12/24/2018 at 5:09 AM, Dzenana said:

Hello eveyone!

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I need really any kind of information about moving and changing address. My I-751 is still pending and I applied in Los Angeles. I can apply for the N400, and I will do it soon, because I don't want to wait and lose time. The challenge is the address. 
I will be moving to the another state, but I am not sure exactly when.

• -If I apply for N400 in LA, from my current address, and I move to another state before biometrics or after biometrics (in a short time after applying), will USCIS reject my application, because I wouldn't live at the new address 3 months? (as this is a requirement). Did they ask you anything about NOT living at the new address for 3 months before applying for N400?

Of course, I would send the notification of changing the address immediately after moving. 

They might not process your change of address in time. Or they may. I would just do all your paperwork, wait to see where your interview is, and fly back for it if it is in LA. You can probably also ask that the interview is where you currently are living, but that may delay the process. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.