2,949 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

iwillsurvive, sandranj or someone else who can help me clarify this doubt please:
From what I understood USCIS does not consider the 2 or 3 page evaluations appropriate.
I would like to know if anyone knows a psychotherapist who performs the type of detailed psychological evaluation (of more than 3 pages) in South Florida.
Can someone give me a little more detail about what the type of evaluation that USCIS accepts as valid should be?
My lawyer sent a letter (evaluation) of 2 pages, now I recently completed with more than 15 sections my psychological therapy and I was thinking of sending that letter, but the letter they gave me is also two (2) pages.

Thank you very much

The psychologist must state your background,onset of the problems, tell the abuse in details, tests performed, diagnosis, treatment recommended and referral if needed.  It's impossible for a psychologist to mention all abuse that you suffered in 2/3 pages. In 20 years i saw 3 cases approved with 3 pages,but one of the girls  had a police report too and another had a diary where she wrote   when the abuse was  happening.

Is mandatory to have Psychologist Evaluation Report??  I submitted on my VAWA Case: Police Report, Restraining order from Family court, order of protection from Criminal court. My child social worker letter i took 8 section therapy with my child from Safe Horizon but is was more for my child. Should I started Therapy to get Psychologist Report as well???? just in case... thank you for your help @sandranj

32 minutes ago, sandranj said:

The psychologist must state your background,onset of the problems, tell the abuse in details, tests performed, diagnosis, treatment recommended and referral if needed.  It's impossible for a psychologist to mention all abuse that you suffered in 2/3 pages. In 20 years i saw 3 cases approved with 3 pages,but one of the girls  had a police report too and another had a diary where she wrote   when the abuse was  happening.

Can you please recommend me somewhere to do that kind of evaluation in South Florida?

21 minutes ago, FeDaniela said:

Is mandatory to have Psychologist Evaluation Report??  I submitted on my VAWA Case: Police Report, Restraining order from Family court, order of protection from Criminal court. My child social worker letter i took 8 section therapy with my child from Safe Horizon but is was more for my child. Should I started Therapy to get Psychologist Report as well???? just in case... thank you for your help @sandranj

It is recommended to submit a psychological evaluation when you file based on psychological/mental/emotional abuse. 

It is recommened to submit a police report or restraining order when filing based on physical abuse. 

1 hour ago, iwillsurvive said:

What evidence did you submit along with your VAWA petition? 

You can appeal the decision for removal. I would look for a pro bono lawyer ASAP. You can go to a domestic violence organization and they almost always have pro bono lawyers working with them. I would highly recommend not to try this without an attorney.

Once removal proceedings are terminated, You have the option to file for VAWA again. This time make sure to submit sufficient evidence. This forum can help you with that.

In order to petition I-130 for a parent, the US citizen child must be at least 21. 

@iwillsurviveIt was denied because i did not have enough evidence to show that the marriage was in "good faith" / bona fide. The thing is that almost everything was in his name, and he destroyed a lot of our pictures and paperwork that I needed to prove that it was in good faith. 

I submitted prove that he is citizen

psychological evaluation papers from psychiatrist : mental abuse 

affidavits from friends and family showing marriage is real and we lived together

ALL evidence I had to show good faith marriage

police clearance letter.

If I appeal what are the chances that it could get approved? I don't have any other evidence to show good faith marriage.

Does anyone know how long a person will be in removal proceedings before the NTA? 

Filed: Timeline
13 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Can you please recommend me somewhere to do that kind of evaluation in South Florida?

I hope someone also lives in FL to give you a recommendation.

If not try google. I searched for "south florida vawa therapist" and many things came up-

https://www.lotuscounseling.com/IMMIGRATIONSERVICES.en.html

https://drpoliacoff.com/immigration-evals/

Find someone who does VAWA evaluations. See what you can find on google. If nothing works out try googling local VAWA attnys. Call their offices and ask the secretary who they use for evaluations.

While any licensed therapist CAN write it- many dont know how. So you need someone who has experience writing them for USCIS. There are certain things it should contain and it should be written a certain way using language USCIS likes. 

Filed: Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jazminjuju1980 said:

@iwillsurviveIt was denied because i did not have enough evidence to show that the marriage was in "good faith" / bona fide. The thing is that almost everything was in his name, and he destroyed a lot of our pictures and paperwork that I needed to prove that it was in good faith. 

I submitted prove that he is citizen

psychological evaluation papers from psychiatrist : mental abuse 

affidavits from friends and family showing marriage is real and we lived together

ALL evidence I had to show good faith marriage

police clearance letter.

If I appeal what are the chances that it could get approved? I don't have any other evidence to show good faith marriage.

Does anyone know how long a person will be in removal proceedings before the NTA? 

Did you use an attny? Sometimes applicants are lacking bonafide proofs because of the abuse. If this is the case an attny can present it as the reason why bonafide proof is lacking. 

Technically you are not in removal proceedings until you get the NTA. You were just denied. I do not believe USCIS has a set time frame for when they issue the NTA. It can happen quickly or take a long time. (sorry)

2 hours ago, Jazminjuju1980 said:

Hey everyone. I just signed up to the forum.

I've been reading a lot of the past comments and I hope anyone can help me.....

I do not know what to do and I'm really SCARED.

I got married in 2014, my husband never submitted any immigration papers for me. Abuse happened, I separated from him and then found out about VAWA. 

I applied for VAWA/i360 and EAD and i485 all together in  January 2017. 

My VAWA got denied and now I'm in removal proceedings .... My EAD is not valid anymore and I have no money for lawyer. 

I have a son who was born in the USA and is 20 years old. Can he apply for me? and if he does will that cancel out or terminate my removal proceedings???

ANYONE please help. @sandranj @Damara @iwillsurvive

THANKS

You can reapply for vawa as long as it has been less that two years after the divorce. 

Filed: Other Timeline
40 minutes ago, Damara said:

If not try google. I searched for "south florida vawa therapist" and many things came up-

Find someone who does VAWA evaluations. See what you can find on google. If nothing works out try googling local VAWA attnys. Call their offices and ask the secretary who they use for evaluations.

While any licensed therapist CAN write it- many dont know how. So you need someone who has experience writing them for USCIS. There are certain things it should contain and it should be written a certain way using language USCIS likes. 

Am a silent reader in this forum and appreciate all the information am getting. I filed VAWA in June 2016 based on emotional and psychological abuse and got approval around April 2017. Am currently in the I485 stage. I live in Florida and would like to assist the person who needs a psychologist. Here is the details: FLORIDA FORENSIC PSYCHOLOGY. JOHANNA GUERRERO, PHD. Phone, Miami office:3054564147; Orlando office: 4076907129. I used her for my case and highly recommend her. She writes good evaluation. Hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, lokoloko said:

Am a silent reader in this forum and appreciate all the information am getting. I filed VAWA in June 2016 based on emotional and psychological abuse and got approval around April 2017. Am currently in the I485 stage. I live in Florida and would like to assist the person who needs a psychologist. Here is the details: FLORIDA FORENSIC PSYCHOLOGY. JOHANNA GUERRERO, PHD. Phone, Miami office:3054564147; Orlando office: 4076907129. I used her for my case and highly recommend her. She writes good evaluation. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, I am calling the number you have supplied but they do not answer, I will keep calling you.
Can you please tell me:
1. How much does the evaluation cost?
2. How soon did you receive the results of the evaluation?
3. How many pages did you have the evaluation?
4. Does the psychologist speak Spanish?

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by Florecita_Bella

1 hour ago, Damara said:

1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Thank you very much Sandra for your help!

Filed: Other Timeline
11 minutes ago, Florecita_Bella said:

Thank you very much, I am calling the number you have supplied but they do not answer, I will keep calling you.
Can you please tell me:
1. How much does the evaluation cost?
2. How soon did you receive the results of the evaluation?
3. How many pages did you have the evaluation?
4. Does the psychologist speak Spanish?

Am not sure the amount she's charging currently. I paid close $800 two years ago for the evaluation. Yes she speaks Spanish. The evaluation is about ten pages. It over a month. It depends how busy she is 

13 minutes ago, Damara said:

Did you use an attny? Sometimes applicants are lacking bonafide proofs because of the abuse. If this is the case an attny can present it as the reason why bonafide proof is lacking. 

Technically you are not in removal proceedings until you get the NTA. You were just denied. I do not believe USCIS has a set time frame for when they issue the NTA. It can happen quickly or take a long time. (sorry)

@Damara I did not use an attorney, I had no money. I could not find one that did pro bono with experienced with VAWA. 

My Us Citizen son is going to be 21 in 9 months. 

I don't know if I should appeal the denial,  redo VAWA or just wait for my son to be 21 so he can petition for me. 

I feel so overwhelmed and my mental health is not doing so well. 

13 minutes ago, Jazminjuju1980 said:

@Damara I did not use an attorney, I had no money. I could not find one that did pro bono with experienced with VAWA. 

My Us Citizen son is going to be 21 in 9 months. 

I don't know if I should appeal the denial,  redo VAWA or just wait for my son to be 21 so he can petition for me. 

I feel so overwhelmed and my mental health is not doing so well. 

Look up domestic violence agencies or Catholic Charities in your state. They will help with pro bono legal work. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.