Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,472 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Just got the NOA2 from VT just shy of 180 days! :)

Now what? How long before we hear from the NVC and before it goes off to the embassy? We actually need it to slow down a little because of some job related commitments that will take 3-4 months.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought I would update people on my experience yesterday at Chicago O'Hare at 3:30pm and hope it helps other people. Before I start the story, just to say I got in.

We are still waiting for our NOA2 and I have come in for 6 weeks. I was made redundant and left my employer on 23 November, so have no job and only have a room in a flat as I have sold my flat in preparation for my eventual move to the US. Better to sell it a reasonable leisure than sell it in a hurry!

So. I brought a folder showing all my ties to the UK and our lawyer provided us with a letter saying that I was only coming for 6 weeks and then leaving again. Our lawyer has constantly told me 'do not come back to the US without the K1 Visa in your passport'. So it was good of him to provide the letter - I expected to only provide one saying that he was acting on our behalf.

I was nervous at passport control but controlled the nerves well.

All he asked me was:

What are you here for?

Answer: holiday

How long are you staying?

Answer: six weeks - I return on 12 January

And then it was the usual - 4 fingers - one thumb routine and I was through.

Collected my luggage and made my way to the customs guy with my completed form. This has always been quick - hand the form and through. However, this time he had questions. As I had bought my fiance's children a couple of London t-shirts and mugs, I declared them although it was under $100, which I know is the limit. I did this last time too. He saw the total on the front and then turned over the form and saw the items.

He asked:

Who are you here to visit?

I was thrown as I didn't expect him to be asking that question - I expected that from passport control.

I said 'pardon?' He didn't repeat the question - he just looked at me.

I said 'My fiance'

He asked 'When are you getting married?'

I said 'March or April, whenever the K1 Fiancee visa comes through.'

He asked 'What visa are you on now?'

I replied 'An ESTA'.

He said 'You know you're going to have to go home, don't you?'

I've said 'No!' and as my heart fell through the floor. My fiance is just yards away from me - waiting for me at the other side of the door I can see.

He said 'You can't stay until April'.

I said 'I don't want to. My return flight is on 12 January.'

He said 'OK. Have a nice day.' and waved me through! He didn't even ask to see my return ticket!

I think my mistake was putting anything on the customs form. Everyone else was being waved through. I only did it as I had left the tags on the presents to give to the boys. In hindsight, that wasn't really necessary as I'm not going to be able to return them as I'm in the US for 6 weeks! I should just have removed the tags and not declared anything.

There's also another possible explanation for the questions. If I did show up at passport control as having applied for a K1 visa, passport control might have tipped the wink to customs whilst I was getting my luggage to ask me more questions. The customs guy did look down at my luggage as if to assess how much was there - I was about 3kg under the 23kg allowed and had my carry on bag and laptop. However, I have a brand new passport, so no stamps in it - I would think their computer system will link my new passport to my old one but I don't know what detail it would show.

I walked out into the arrivals hall and into the arms of my fiance and just wanted to cry. He said 'You're shaking but you're here and that's all that matters'.

It sounded like you had a fairly straight forward experience. They're supposed to ask at least a few questions and you had answers for all of them, so everything is fine :)

Have a wonderful visit!

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

I wish I could bring my Pinay fiancé over to the US to visit while we wait... I work full time and she is waiting to come here now so she has all the time in the world to visit me but I don't have the time to visit her right now...

I believe this would also help reduce we anxiety of coming here.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

The guides here are great, BUT they don't give personal experiences, which is what I believe the OP was striving for in creating this thread. I, for one, think its a great idea! :thumbs:

Yes indeed, some personal experiences would be very helpful.

Timeline

I called USCIS and asked this very question. I was given a good solid yes as long as her passport is valid and she has a valid tourist visa. She has both, she gets to Boston this coming Sunday. If for some stupid reason she's turned away....neither of us will be happy.

I'll be sure to add a post Sunday night and let you all know what happens.

Edited by steveg7003

Yes indeed, some personal experiences would be very helpful.

Yes, this was why I posted my long post earlier. It is to help other people attempting the same thing.

It will be useful to have steveg7003's post when his fiancee has come in through Boston.

All these personal expereinces help prepare other people doing the same thing and gives people reassurance too.

I'm writing this from my gf's computer. B-)

Went like a breeze. Just the normal questions and that was it. POE was Boston.

was a little nervous but didn't had to.

I'm writing this from my gf's computer. B-)

Went like a breeze. Just the normal questions and that was it. POE was Boston.

was a little nervous but didn't had to.

I'm really glad it was smooth for you. Enjoy your time with your fiancee.

Timeline

I called USCIS and asked this very question. I was given a good solid yes as long as her passport is valid and she has a valid tourist visa. She has both, she gets to Boston this coming Sunday. If for some stupid reason she's turned away....neither of us will be happy.

I'll be sure to add a post Sunday night and let you all know what happens.

Ok everyone, Chris had no problems at all. USCIS told me flat out visits are allowed. Rumor control is a good thing

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm flying on Christmas Day to Charleston with Newark as my POE for a two week visit to see the fiancé.

Will post the outcome when i get web access.

Have a letter from my employee and the finance agreement for my car as evidence of my return to the UK just incase.

2008 - Met Amber Online Whilst I Was Working in GA.

07 - 2011 - Met For The First Time Whilst I Was On Vacation in FL

12 - 2011 - Visited Amber for a Week

04 - 2012 - Spent 10 Days in SC - Engaged

08 - 2012 - Amber visited UK for 16 days.

12-2012 - Spending 14 days in SC -Wedding Planning

http://4000milesmakestheheartgrowfonder.wordpress.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

This is topic is extremely relevant to our case today. I don't know how entering the States from other countries works, except for Argentina. From Argentina you have to have an approved tourist visa (B-1/2) to enter the States. Do you have to have the same coming from England or Canada? After my fiance gets an approved tourist visa is he going to have to bring proof to customs in the US?

This is topic is extremely relevant to our case today. I don't know how entering the States from other countries works, except for Argentina. From Argentina you have to have an approved tourist visa (B-1/2) to enter the States. Do you have to have the same coming from England or Canada? After my fiance gets an approved tourist visa is he going to have to bring proof to customs in the US?

It's easier from the UK as I can come in under the Visa Waiver Program which means I have an ESTA. It is an agreement that the US have with a number of countries - http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html It is not a guarantee of entry - that is up to the officer at the POE.

I would suggest that your fiance just brings evidence of ties to Argentina to show that he is going to go back e.g. letter from employer, rent book/mortgage statement, etc.

Edited by Anna Grant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.