chri'stina

Florida Drivers: BEWARE

46 posts in this topic

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I think that statistically speaking, from everything I read in our papers and hear on the news and when it comes to the rates insurance companies charge (they do a pretty good job of risk assessment), it's the kids behind wheels that are the greatest danger to themselves and others on the roads. Old folks are doing pretty well on the road. They're slow and all but they are far less likely to cause accidents than other age groups.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
They should cordon off an entire state and just give it to old people. They could call it Retirementonia and they can all drive their buicks 9mph and watch lawrence welk marathons.

You basically described Florida.

ok, ok, I am exaggerating a bit! But just a bit! :P

I think that statistically speaking, from everything I read in our papers and hear on the news and when it comes to the rates insurance companies charge (they do a pretty good job of risk assessment), it's the kids behind wheels that are the greatest danger to themselves and others on the roads. Old folks are doing pretty well on the road. They're slow and all but they are far less likely to cause accidents than other age groups.

Ehhh I guess so. But I guess it's also where I specifically live. It really should be called Retirementonia(I don't think they'd remember that long of a name though!)

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think it's debatable that the elderly are better drivers than kids and if so that would be the only age group they might be better than. Even if it is true, at least the kids are going to improve. The elderly are only going to get worse. They lose eyesight, hearing, reflexes, and most important the ability to mentally react to a situation. Have you ever seen an elderly driver sitting at the end of an on ramp lane because they forgot the concept of acceleration and merging? Or the ones who turn the wrong way into a turn lane that's meant for traffic on the opposite side of the road? Or the ones who turn left into a right turn only resulting in them driving down the wrong side of the road? Or the ones who go straight through a light because the turn lane next to them went? I could go on and on. It's all common place here in good old FL. Theres a reason there's a flashing yellow light and sign a few hundred yards ahead of the 4 way stop at 'On Top of the World' (a big retirement community). ;)

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
I really think they need to take a driving test like every 6 months or something above a certain age. I know some of them would not be able to get around if they can't drive, which is sad, but they are causing bad accidents all the time, putting their life and other people's lives in risk every day.

It's just so annoying!!!

But this is Florida...so it's the norm!

Totally agree :thumbs:

I am so glad my grandma failed the eye test and they took her license away. For about 4 months things were "mysteriously" happening to her car so she couldn't drive anywhere :whistle::whistle: Don't know how long we could have kept that up :innocent:

Oh my!!! :lol: "mysteriously"!

Amen! I know exactly what your talking about. That must be why our car insurance is so high. I live in Tampa and I do see a lot of elderly people driving, but not as much as when I lived in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. It will cause you to go mad. My sister is always yelling at an old person driving in front of her. Stina where in Fl do you live? Everyone be safe out there.

I'm in Spring Hill, an hour northwest of Tampa. There's a big retirement community in my city. :wacko: Tampa is better than where I live. A little less of a concentration of old people! lol

WOW and i thought California drivers are bad lol.

Whole different kind of bad. California drivers are agressive, Florida drivers are just oblivious.

Yep!

The Villages???

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
I really think they need to take a driving test like every 6 months or something above a certain age. I know some of them would not be able to get around if they can't drive, which is sad, but they are causing bad accidents all the time, putting their life and other people's lives in risk every day.

It's just so annoying!!!

Totally agree :thumbs:

I am so glad my grandma failed the eye test and they took her license away. For about 4 months things were "mysteriously" happening to her car so she couldn't drive anywhere :whistle::whistle: Don't know how long we could have kept that up :innocent:

Oh my!!! :lol: "mysteriously"!

Amen! I know exactly what your talking about. That must be why our car insurance is so high. I live in Tampa and I do see a lot of elderly people driving, but not as much as when I lived in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. It will cause you to go mad. My sister is always yelling at an old person driving in front of her. Stina where in Fl do you live? Everyone be safe out there.

I'm in Spring Hill, an hour northwest of Tampa. There's a big retirement community in my city. :wacko: Tampa is better than where I live. A little less of a concentration of old people! lol

WOW and i thought California drivers are bad lol.

Whole different kind of bad. California drivers are agressive, Florida drivers are just oblivious.

Yep!

The Villages???

No, I think that's around 60 miles northeast of where I am. I am in the northern part of the Tampa Bay area, on the west coast.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

I think it's debatable that the elderly are better drivers than kids and if so that would be the only age group they might be better than.

The numbers don't support that statement.

The percentage of licensed drivers per age group that will be involved in accidents starts at 30% for drivers 19 and younger and works it's way down quite steadily to 5% for those drivers up to age 74 to then inch up a percentage point for the entire age group 75 and older. See below for how that plays out.

<19 ~ 30%

20-24 ~ 19%

25-24 ~ 12%

35-44 ~ 10%

45-54 ~ 8%

55-64 ~ 6%

65-74 ~ 5%

< 75 ~ 6%

As such, the seniors as a whole are safer drivers than any of the other age groups. The seniors are not the problem on the road. :no:

Edited by ET-US2004

Elderly drivers are a real problem here in FL. I know I say this a lot, but the guy who practically killed me was 86 and driving on the wrong side of the road. Came around a curved underpass and hit me head on. He tried to leave the scene cos his 'stories' were coming on....

As Stina said, the public transport sucks completely...and many elderly people down here are transplant retirees, so they don't have their children around to pick up the slack. So losing their license is losing a big chunk of independence...even if it may be for the benefit of all. But God forbid you put age restrictions on the back end of licenses...after all, no one calls it age discrimination that we don't let 10 year olds drive.

I think everyone should have mandatory vision/hearing/reflex tests every renewal. Nip the probbo in the bud. After all, I was young and incapacitated for a while, but I still had my license. Couldn't walk to the bathroom by myself, but I could legally drive a car.

Eh I dunno what the answer is, but it's a very severe problem & a VERY large risk. I say no more of this renewal by mail/internet nonsense.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think it's debatable that the elderly are better drivers than kids and if so that would be the only age group they might be better than.

The percentage of licensed drivers per age group that will be involved in accidents starts at 30% for drivers 19 and younger and works it's way down quite steadily to 5% for those drivers up to age 74 to then inch up a percentage point for the entire age group 75 and older. See below for how that plays out.

<19 ~ 30%

20-24 ~ 19%

25-24 ~ 12%

35-44 ~ 10%

45-54 ~ 8%

55-64 ~ 6%

65-74 ~ 5%

< 75 ~ 6%

As such, the seniors as a whole are safer drivers than any of the other age groups. The seniors are not the problem on the road. :no:

Sorry but I don't buy it. IMO those number do not represent driving ability. You can't tell me a driver aged 65-74 is better than drivers who are (picking an age range) between 30 and 60. They may have fewer accidents but it doesn't mean they're better drivers. I'd like to see what percentage each of those age groups make up of overall traffic. My guess is aside from 'retiree areas' (parts of FL for example) seniors don't make up a great amount of traffic on the road. Most are retired and aren't driving as much and aren't forced to drive in rush hour traffic 2x per day 5 days per week.

I see seniors at the supermarket that take nearly a minute to get in or out of a friggin' handicapped parking space with no other cars/people around them. How many times do you read a story of a car going through a store front, house, garage, etc without it being a senior who thought the gas was the brake? Seniors may not be *the* problem on the road but they are definitely very dangerous.

I'm with Lisa on this. Give a vision, hearing, and reflex test for every (not just seniors) license renewal. I haven't taken a driving exam or test since I got my license at 16. That's 23 years! WTH is the point of a drivers license if it's nothing more than a form of ID? I don't know about an age cap though. My dad is 67 and I ride with him every few weeks. He's actually a very good driver and he does not drive slow/passive. He keeps up with traffic and I've never felt unsafe with him. Plus, the bulldog AARP would *NEVER* allow an age cap.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

<19 ~ 30%

20-24 ~ 19%

25-24 ~ 12%

35-44 ~ 10%

45-54 ~ 8%

55-64 ~ 6%

65-74 ~ 5%

< 75 ~ 6%

Sorry but I don't buy it. IMO those number do not represent driving ability. You can't tell me a driver aged 65-74 is better than drivers who are (picking an age range) between 30 and 60. They may have fewer accidents but it doesn't mean they're better drivers. I'd like to see what percentage each of those age groups make up of overall traffic.

That's quite irrelevant. The percentages I posted above represent the percentage of licensed drivers in each age group that are involved in accidents. Sure, there are fewer senior drivers as opposed to 30-50 year old drivers, for example. What that means, though, is that in both relative and absolute numbers the seniors are less likely to be involved in a accident. Any way you look at it, that does not translate into seniors being the greatest danger on our streets. They're simply not. They might annoy the hell out of you for being so slow but they're not the one's causing all the wrecks we have here in FL.

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just think - one day we will all be the people we are complaining about here! :o

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

I just got home and my blood pressure must have gone up there while driving. I couldn't stop yelling things in the car today while driving. No one else could hear me, of course, but grr! "What the heck are you doing!!?" "MOVE over!", etc. :innocent:

There are very very very old people driving around, almost hitting other cars and mailboxes.

Why are they driving?!!! :angry:

First I was just annoyed, then I was getting mad and worried.

I know there is no public transportation around here, besides a limited bus service that makes hardly any stops and takes an hour to get somewhere 5 miles away, but these people should not be on the road!!

This seems to be the main causes of accidents where I live. Elderly people, turning out in front of fast oncoming cars and not speeding up, or braking suddenly for no reason while driving.

I was behind a little old lady, who could hardly see above her steering wheel, on a road with 35mph speed signs. She was going 30, ok I said, whatever, but she started breaking for no apparent reason, and kept going too far to the right. I stayed far behind her because she kept almost hitting mailboxes. When I turned off the road, all I could say was "God please protect her and EVERY driver who has to be around her." These incidents happen allllllll the time, old people who do very dangerous things so obliviously.

It's just so annoying!!!

:rofl: welcome to America

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree 100 % . It sucks to drive here in FL. It pisses me off every freaking day....not using the turn signal is not the only problem... 99.9 % of the people are on the cellphone !! I mean, commmeeeeeeeeee on already... geez

brazilCq14.gifLiszy & Kenny usaCa.gif

----~~~-----

12/26/06 Sent AOS to Chicago

04/16/07 Green Card approved w/o interview !! YYYAAAYY

----~~~-----

03/16/2009 - I-751 sent to VSC

03/17/2009 - VSC received

03/18/2009 - NOA 1

03/20/2009 - Check cashed

03/23/2009 - NOA 1 in mail

04/01/2009 - Biometrics letter

04/14/2009 - Biometrics

04/15/2009 - Touched

04/16/2009 - I guess I can lay down and sleep now ?

07/16/2009 - 3 months later...... nothing... oh well

07/21/2009 - Card production ordered w/o interview again :) !! woohooo

07/22/2009 - Touched

07/30/2009 - Card is here !

----~~~-----

01/23/2019 - I-90 sent online

01/28/2019 - Notice of receipt in the mail

02/01/2019 - Biometrics notice in the mail

02/15/2019 - Biometrics

02/21/2019 - Card being produced

02/23/2019 - Card received!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I just got home and my blood pressure must have gone up there while driving. I couldn't stop yelling things in the car today while driving. No one else could hear me, of course, but grr! "What the heck are you doing!!?" "MOVE over!", etc. :innocent:

OMG I can totally relate!! I live in Broward County and every day on the road I see things that totally blow my mind and make me laugh (or cry). :wacko:

Edited by al-Hubb jameel

Feb. 23, 2009 NOA1

Lucky 7/13 - NAO2

October 8-Interview -AP

November 15-Embassy asked for his passport!!!!!!!!!!! yahooooooooooo!!!

December 3- VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you God!!!!!! Good luck to everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Why are they driving?!!! :angry:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198504

:dance: