ChasUno

Leave I-751 spaces blank, or put in "NA"

8 posts in this topic

I've been using the example forms on VJ to complete my I-751. However, in the example form, many of the boxes are left blank. I assume that these are "N/A" boxes, thus when I completed mine I too left these boxes blank as they don't apply to me, i.e. I don't have any children, therefore I left those boxes blank. 

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-751.pdf

However, according the USCIS instructions, it states the following:

3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

So what is the correct way to fill in the I-751 boxes that don't apply? Leave them blank, or put "N/A" in them?

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No blanks n/a everywhere 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

6 minutes ago, ChasUno said:

I've been using the example forms on VJ to complete my I-751. However, in the example form, many of the boxes are left blank. I assume that these are "N/A" boxes, thus when I completed mine I too left these boxes blank as they don't apply to me, i.e. I don't have any children, therefore I left those boxes blank. 

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-751.pdf

However, according the USCIS instructions, it states the following:

3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

So what is the correct way to fill in the I-751 boxes that don't apply? Leave them blank, or put "N/A" in them?

Follow what you have already highlighted above.  That's pretty clear, isn't it?

1 hour ago, David & Zoila said:

Follow what you have already highlighted above.  That's pretty clear, isn't it?

It is, though as mentioned, it appears to contradict the VJ example form. I also found a similar example form on another website that also didn't put "NA" into any of the blank boxes. Hence me asking for clarity.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

1 hour ago, cyclone27 said:

No blanks n/a everywhere 

Thank you! :thumbs:

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

I did a search and this question has come up before:

I had the same issue as one of the posters in that thread, in that I was using Adobe Reader to complete my I-751. Adobe Reader DOES NOT allow you to type an "/", only letters or numbers. Therefore, it wasn't possible to type "N/A", which is what the USCIS instructions required.

I got round this issue by completing all the other parts of the form using Adobe Reader, saving it as a PDF, and then opening it with FOXIT Reader. Foxit Reader has a text type option that allows you type any character you want anywhere on the page. I used Foxit to add all the "N/A" needed throughout the document. 

That's what worked for me, hopefully it will work for others too in this same situation.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

1 hour ago, ChasUno said:

It is, though as mentioned, it appears to contradict the VJ example form. I also found a similar example form on another website that also didn't put "NA" into any of the blank boxes. Hence me asking for clarity.

Follow the USCIS instructions, always.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, ChasUno said:

VJ and forums are not the final authority. The form instructions from USCIS are.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.