John & Rose

Joint Bank Account et al...

36 posts in this topic

Rose visited PSA yesterday.  They will release or marriage certificate on July 11.  That is quicker then I anticipated.  

I have got them setup with PLDT Home Fibr (installed but not working yet) and now I am wondering about the easiest way to set up a joint account with a credit/debit card.  I would like to take care of PLDT automatically and that is possible with a card from certain banks.  I would also like Rose to get used to using the card as it is our way of life here but a bit out of the ordinary there.  

Does anyone have experience with opening a joint account?  I don't see any banks there that have direct access to banks here but I am just starting the search.  

Any thoughts from the more experienced with this would be appreciated.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Rose visited PSA yesterday.  They will release or marriage certificate on July 11.  That is quicker then I anticipated.  

I have got them setup with PLDT Home Fibr (installed but not working yet) and now I am wondering about the easiest way to set up a joint account with a credit/debit card.  I would like to take care of PLDT automatically and that is possible with a card from certain banks.  I would also like Rose to get used to using the card as it is our way of life here but a bit out of the ordinary there.  

Does anyone have experience with opening a joint account?  I don't see any banks there that have direct access to banks here but I am just starting the search.  

You can put her on your stateside account and she or you can transfer money to a "single" account that she may already have in the PI or she can use the debit function and withdraw from an ATM which is easy to do. Hank and others may be more help. I would like to know the answer too as we are going to the PI in Aug for 3 weeks and that is one item I have on my list to do.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

You would need an ACR card to get your name on a bank account there.   Requirements vary slightly with the banks, but most expect to see an ACR card from the foreigner.

I still don't have my name on our bank accts in the Phils, and don't plan to, yet I am the one that handles the online banking .. . :lol:     I pay our MERALCO online, but that is about it at the moment. 

All you need is a savings acct with ATM card, that is what we have with BDO.  Checking acct isn't necessary at all. 

We have a USD account also so I can do direct bank transfers if I want.   Most times I direct deposit into our bank acct using REMITLY.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

What bank do you have stateside? A lot of banks will have a agreement with a bank in the Philippines to be able to do transfer from bank to bank once it is set up.

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

What bank do you have stateside? A lot of banks will have a agreement with a bank in the Philippines to be able to do transfer from bank to bank once it is set up.

I use Capital One and US Bank.  I would open another account here if that makes it easier.  I will also check into the ACR card for myself.  She wants my name added to her house so we have a lot going on right now.  It will all speed up once we get our marriage certificate.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

All you need to easily wire transfer money between a U.S. bank and a bank in the Phils is the SWIFT # for the bank, acct number and an USD acct.   There are no special agreements.   But wire transfers are very costly for smaller amounts.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I use Capital One and US Bank.  I would open another account here if that makes it easier.  I will also check into the ACR card for myself.  She wants my name added to her house so we have a lot going on right now.  It will all speed up once we get our marriage certificate.

Ya .. I am on the deeds for our land in the Phils.

Most all banks do wire transfers... but you don't need that to move money from your bank in the U.S. to a bank in the Phils, just use REMITLY or something like that .. much cheaper.   Wire transfers are $45 charged by the U.S. bank and most banks in the Phils nick you for another $5 ., and a USD acct makes all this much easier.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

5 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

All you need to easily wire transfer money between a U.S. bank and a bank in the Phils is the SWIFT # for the bank, acct number and an USD acct.   There are no special agreements.   But wire transfers are very costly for smaller amounts.

You are correct sir. But my thing is that like I have Wellsfargo and you can set up to be able to transfer to a BDO account in the Philippines like a simple account transfer within your accounts.

Timeline
Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

You are correct sir. But my thing is that like I have Wellsfargo and you can set up to be able to transfer to a BDO account in the Philippines like a simple account transfer within your accounts.

I have looked at that, Wells Fargo is no bargain.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

4 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Ya .. I am on the deeds for our land in the Phils.

Most all banks do wire transfers... but you don't need that to move money from your bank in the U.S. to a bank in the Phils, just use REMITLY or something like that .. much cheaper.   Wire transfers are $45 charged by the U.S. bank and most banks in the Phils nick you for another $5 ., and a USD acct makes all this much easier.

Remitly is my go to (thank you Hank).  I would continue to do that.  I just set her up as an authorized user of my Capital One 360 Checking.  That is the only card I use in Phil since there is no transaction fee.  I will try to open another account for her there so she can do the automatic payments for PLDT.  She will just have to go to the bank to get the money and deposit it.  The bank is about a 5 minute walk from her house.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Just now, Hank_ said:

I have looked at that, Wells Fargo is no bargain.  

Right as well. Right now I only have 1 checking account with them right now. My credit union still wants to act like it's stuck in 2005 with not being able to much of anything online beyond basic stuff. This is why I still use Wellsfargo for some other stuff the good thing is that I can transfer to/from my WF account and my CU account by just utilizing my WF transfer process.

Timeline
Just now, John & Rose said:

Remitly is my go to (thank you Hank).  I would continue to do that.  I just set her up as an authorized user of my Capital One 360 Checking.  That is the only card I use in Phil since there is no transaction fee.  I will try to open another account for her there so she can do the automatic payments for PLDT.  She will just have to go to the bank to get the money and deposit it.  The bank is about a 5 minute walk from her house.

Once she has a bank acct there, just direct deposit.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Once she has a bank acct there, just direct deposit.

I never thought of that!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Right as well. Right now I only have 1 checking account with them right now. My credit union still wants to act like it's stuck in 2005 with not being able to much of anything online beyond basic stuff. This is why I still use Wellsfargo for some other stuff the good thing is that I can transfer to/from my WF account and my CU account by just utilizing my WF transfer process.

Your credit union sounds like SunTrust banks here ... still trying to wrap their heads around the concept of a wheel.    :wacko:     

I have most all my banking at USAA now, no ATM feels ... global.   And I can do anything I want with them online, and even sh!t I haven't had a need for.  :lol:      I have never had an issue with them

Transferring between two U.S. bank accts is a breeze .. quick, easy and free.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.