1,446 posts in this topic

Attended my Naturalization Ceremony in downtown Denver today. It was a judicial ceremony for people who applied for a name change along with their N400 application. We were a total of 150 new citizens from 50 countries. Oath was administered by a judge and we also received a signed and stamped form N-662 (petition for name change) along with our certificate of naturalization.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. 

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, Kante said:

Attended my Naturalization Ceremony in downtown Denver today. It was a judicial ceremony for people who applied for a name change along with their N400 application. We were a total of 150 new citizens from 50 countries. Oath was administered by a judge and we also received a signed and stamped form N-662 (petition for name change) along with our certificate of naturalization.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. 

How long after your interview did you have to wait for the Judicial Ceremony?

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
CIS Office : California Service Center
Date Filed : 2018-07-02
NOA Date : 2018-07-20
RFE(s) :  
Bio. Appt. : 2019-03-27
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  
Comments : Case Transferred to National Benefits Center on 02/06/20

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : West Palm Beach FL
Date Filed : 2019-11-02
NOA Date : 2019-11-02
Bio. Appt. : 2019-11-25
Interview Date : 2020-02-18
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments :  

On 2/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, sdultra said:

Well we are 11 days from N400 interview in West Palm Beach, FL,  and after finally getting through to Tier 2 at USCIS, the agent said that they could not do anything to ensure that the I-751 would be handled at the same time. 

In any case, a day later I finally got an update on our I-751 that it was transferred.  First action since it was receive in JUly 2018.  I don't know to whom it was transferred yet, as I cannot see the location online, so with have to wait for the NOA to arrive in the mail.

So I got the NOA in the mail today and our I-751 was transferred to the National Benefits Center........in Missouri......go figure.......  

Naturalization interview is scheduled for next Tuesday 2/18 in WPB, Florida.

Left hand ....meet the right hand.....WHO?

Edited by sdultra
Lifting Conditions
Event Date
RFE(s) :  
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Citizenship
Event Date
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments :  

3 minutes ago, sdultra said:

How long after your interview did you have to wait for the Judicial Ceremony?

I had my interview in October 2019 and was originally scheduled for the December 2019 ceremony.  I had to reschedule because of a planned travel. They then rescheduled me for February 2020.

Hi guys,

It looks like some of you have similar situations and although it sucks, its nice to know I am not the only one in this boat. 

my I-751 is pending , 18 mo extension will expire next month in mid-March , so I have requested an Infopass appointment. Any idea what to expect ? Can the officer explain the delay or anything?  Can I travel on I-551 stamp? (I'm seriously stuck because my job is changing after April and my license is expiring and I obviously need documentation to obtain both). 

Meanwhile,  I have already applied for N-400. I have no idea why its taking this long to schedule my N-400 interview as I have friends who have gotten it already in Boston. My expected completion date 'dissapeared' from the website now as I was scheduled for completion by Feb2020. How do I request a combo interview? 

Dates:

June = I-751 submitted to Vermont center 

July 2018 = 18 months extension letter / completed biometrics 

Sept 2018 = transferred to Potomac Center 

--- and zero update since then. 

July 2019 = N-400 application

Aug 2019 = biometrics

Edited by sbenk

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
32 minutes ago, sbenk said:

Hi guys,

It looks like some of you have similar situations and although it sucks, its nice to know I am not the only one in this boat. 

my I-751 is pending , 18 mo extension will expire next month in mid-March , so I have requested an Infopass appointment. Any idea what to expect ? Can the officer explain the delay or anything?  Can I travel on I-551 stamp? (I'm seriously stuck because my job is changing after April and my license is expiring and I obviously need documentation to obtain both). 

Meanwhile,  I have already applied for N-400. I have no idea why its taking this long to schedule my N-400 interview as I have friends who have gotten it already in Boston. My expected completion date 'dissapeared' from the website now as I was scheduled for completion by Feb2020. How do I request a combo interview? 

Dates:

Aug 2019 = biometrics

Hi, I called USCIS about this a couple months  ago and they mentioned some appt but didn’t say InfoPass. Did they give you any information? Like is this supposed to approve your application or is this supposed to give you an extension? So nuts that they are just not doing anything with these applications. 

Timeline
On 2/5/2020 at 7:33 PM, Studentss said:

i am in the same shoes like yours, filed on 23rd July 2018 and they scheduled my N-400 interview for 01/16/2020 but was cancelled when i arrived for the interview to the filed office here in Boston, MA , they took another finger print from me two weeks ago, i am still waiting , my I-751 and N-400 both are pending , just waiting its a headache, 

That’s crazy. Any news on your end?

Timeline
On 2/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, sdultra said:

No moment on 751 but N400 interview is on 2/18. Called USCIS and ask to speak to tier-2 to request combined interview or adjudication of both. We'll see what happens on the 18th. My suggestion is file your N400 now.

Good luck. Please let us know what the interview ends up being and how it goes

Timeline

Hi again. I’ve decided I’m going to file N400 this weekend. For anyone who has already done this, would love to hear the timing of how long it took for you and also how they handled your pending 1-751. Thanks 

Timeline
8 hours ago, sbenk said:

Hi guys,

Dates:

Aug 2019 = biometrics

Hi again. Did you have to file a 1-90 and pay for the fee for your upcoming InfoPass appt?

On 2/14/2020 at 6:52 PM, kris1915 said:

Hi again. Did you have to file a 1-90 and pay for the fee for your upcoming InfoPass appt?

I-90 was filed a while ago and approved. This is I-751 where you obtain a permanent GC from a conditional one. There is no fee for Infopass appointment and I heard about this from reading forums. 

So we had our N400 Interview today, and it seemed they were happy to take care of the I-751, but not without our 2019 W2's.  Its been in process since July 2018 and now they tell us they want our latests W2's.  Well of course I did not have them in my pocket.

As for the N-400, she passed the reading, the writing, the speaking, and the civics test with flying colors, but then the interviewer took one of the questions from the N400 form, you know the ones that ask if you're a terrorist or supplied insurgents with weapons, or were a communist and so on, and read it to her very quickly, then asked her to explain what the question was asking.  She told him that she understood each of the questions because her preparer, me, had explained what each of them meant, but that she could not paraphrase it as he read it to her quickly.  So, he failed her for ability to understand English.  I read and re-read all the requirements, and it says understand simple english......  From the USCIS website

A. Educational Requirements

An officer administers a naturalization test to determine whether an applicant meets the English and civics requirements. 

The naturalization test consists of two components:

• English language proficiency, which is determined by the applicant’s ability to read, write, speak and understand English; and

• Knowledge of U.S. history and government, which is determined by a civics test. 

And ....

D. English Portion of the Test

A naturalization applicant must only demonstrate an ability to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage. [5] Ordinary usage means comprehensible and pertinent communication through simple vocabulary and grammar, which may include noticeable errors in pronouncing, constructing, spelling, and understanding completely certain words, phrases, and sentences.

I may be wrong, but insurgents, guerrillas, Rebels, Militia Paramilitary Units, self-defense unit,  and other such terms, i don't believe qualify as simple vocabulary and grammar.

She works in a restaurant and converses with customers in English every day, and can carry on a conversation with anyone.  

So now we have to wait for an RFE for the W2's and if/when they schedule a new interview.

Totally pissed!!

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
RFE(s) :  
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Citizenship
Event Date
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments :  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

sdultra: 

The English language portion of the test and demand for latest W2s seem to be completely arbitrary and excessive to what the requirements are supposed to be. I am sorry to hear about this very unpleasant experience. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.