JackleDos

Anyone used the military expedited request?

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

After a lot of hours and work, my fiancee and I's I-29F was successfully sent off and received. After receiving the tracking number, I called USCIS via their military hotline and requested expedition on the grounds of an upcoming deployment. A little bit later, I got a letter in the mail saying how they've opened the case and told me I should fax all substantiating evidence to their fax number with an attention to my expedition request case number. I've since done so, sending a copy of my orders, a military memorandum signed by my commander, and a individual letter explaining the situation myself; with of course a copy of their letter, and a cover letter for everything. Even in doing all this, I know I'm not guaranteed an expedited approval. 

My question is, however, for those of you who have done it, how do they reply to your request? And how long does it normally take for them to make their decision? My worry is, since I don't have a fax machine, I had a friend of mine use his at his office. Do I need to have him keep an eye out for a return fax? Or will they email, mail, or call me when they've made their decision? I've read somewhere that they'll only respond if its approved, so if its denied, I'll just never hear back from them. Is this true, as well?  Any guidance on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jack

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

If they successfully received the fax with supporting docs, it might take up to 30 days for the decision. Usually 1-2 weeks. They won't call you. Keep calling once a week but first, call next business day and confirm they received your fax.

You should be able to see it in the case history at https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus

If they accept your expedite request there will be a regular mail confirmation, but as I said you can verify status online or call, just faster. After decision it will be processed in a regular way, being sent to NVC and later to US embassy (waiting as long as other cases for this step etc.).

There is no fixed timeline for an expedite request, but many times an approved one is a matter of days or weeks (denied ones I've seen taken months to get a response). They will (hopefully!) update the tracker online to indicate that the expedite was approved.

They won't fax you any documents - they will respond via snail mail.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:30 AM, JackleDos said:

My question is, however, for those of you who have done it, how do they reply to your request? And how long does it normally take for them to make their decision? My worry is, since I don't have a fax machine, I had a friend of mine use his at his office. Do I need to have him keep an eye out for a return fax? Or will they email, mail, or call me when they've made their decision? I've read somewhere that they'll only respond if its approved, so if its denied, I'll just never hear back from them. Is this true, as well?  Any guidance on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jack

The way I found out that our K-1 was expedited was when I got an email and text saying the application was approved.  There was no notification of the expedite request decision.  

If nothing happens within a couple weeks call them.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.