jwk301

HELP - I need to change my fiancee visa to spuse visa

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I applied for a visa for my fiancee in December 2006 with I29F. We have received an interview date for June 18 at the the U.S. embassy in Manila.

However, we were married in the Philippines on April 28, 2007. I would like to change this application from a FIANCEE visa to a SPOUSE visa.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do. Thanks in advance.

Jim K.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must now start all over, send in a spousal visa application....wait the time it takes for USCIS to approve it, get a new interview date and to get that visa.

Once you married you nullified your fiancee visa application, and you must now go through the process all over again for your now wife to be granted a spousal visa.

Good luck!

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sadly there is no "changing the application" you have to apply now using the I-130 for your spouse.

On a positive note - you are married! Congratulations!

03/01/07 Mailed I-130 priority post to Nebraska.

06/19/07 Approved!!!

07/10/07 NVC assigned case #.

10/25/07 NVC Case Complete!!!!

01/22/08 Original Monreal interview- requested to reschedule, told 3-4 month wait.

04/17/08 Interview in Montreal

04/21/08 Received VISA package

06/24/08 Crossed border

07/26/08 Received conditional greencard

07/28/08 Received SSN in mail (went down and applied in person 07/14/08)

08/11/08 Infopass appointment to request 10yr greencard instead of conditional. Mailed out 1-90 with support.

09/25/08 Received case # for I-90

02/17/09 Received 10yr greencard!!! WOOHOO

I applied for a visa for my fiancee in December 2006 with I29F. We have received an interview date for June 18 at the the U.S. embassy in Manila.

However, we were married in the Philippines on April 28, 2007. I would like to change this application from a FIANCEE visa to a SPOUSE visa.

Jim K.

I am curious, why the rush to get married? I mean, you had an interview date already...

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

Jim K.

I am curious, why the rush to get married? I mean, you had an interview date already...

Wondering the same thing. Congrats on the wedding though!!!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Jim K.

I have some good news and bad news, good news is congrats on getting married, bad news is "What were you thinking, its at the best interest of your wife and yourself not to reveal anything to the consulate because if you do your entire process will be denied and you would be placed on administrative review, which can take a while to fix, they are going to look at you as if you were trying to cheat the system. My father did the same thing back in 1997 and he had to wait almost three years to fix up his mess with the act of congress on his side, and I don't think you want to endure that horrible process, its probably a little faster now but not by much. Like the military says, don't ask, don't tell, keep it your little secret! Best advice!

-K-1-

February 20, 2007 - mailed I-129F to TSC

February 21, 2007 - I-129F received by TSC

February 27, 2007 - NOA1 approved by CSC

March 12, 2007 - received NOA1 by mail

April 19, 2007 - Touched

May 14, 2007 - Touched

May 14, 2007 - NOA2 Approved!

May 15, 2007 - Touched

May 23, 2007 - NVC Received

May 25, 2007 - Left NVC

June 7, 2007 - Consulate Received Petition

June 12, 2007 - Received Interview date from NVC

June 29, 2007 - Packet 4 received

July 23 & 24, 2007 - Medical appointment completed

August 13, 2007 - Interview(Visa Approved!)

September 28, 2007 - Sharon arrives in US

December 22, 2007 - Civil Wedding

-AOS-

Febuary 10, 2008 - Chicago Office recieves AOS package

Febuary 15, 2008 - Check cashed for AOS

March 7, 2008 - Case Transfered to CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

March 8, 2008 - Biometrics Taken

May 13, 2008 - Received Welcome Letter Notification

May 16, 2008 - AOS Approved

Austin & Sharon

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Jim K.

I have some good news and bad news, good news is congrats on getting married, bad news is "What were you thinking, its at the best interest of your wife and yourself not to reveal anything to the consulate because if you do your entire process will be denied and you would be placed on administrative review, which can take a while to fix, they are going to look at you as if you were trying to cheat the system. My father did the same thing back in 1997 and he had to wait almost three years to fix up his mess with the act of congress on his side, and I don't think you want to endure that horrible process, its probably a little faster now but not by much. Like the military says, don't ask, don't tell, keep it your little secret! Best advice!

worst. advice. ever.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
not to reveal anything to the consulate because if you do your entire process will be denied and you would be placed on administrative review,

Like the military says, don't ask, don't tell, keep it your little secret! Best advice!

What on earth are you talking about?

The consulate knows about the K1 application now and they will know about it when they interview for their spousal visa. NEVER lie to immigration. If you lie, the result is a charge of misrepresentation. That requires a waiver. If the waiver is denied there is NO VISA EVER.

And by the way, read the Terms of Service for Visa Journey:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&page=terms

you will not: Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration

:dead:

(Could we get an emoticon for WORST ADVICE EVER?)

Edited by kitkat1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Jim K.

:no::no: Apart from advocating fraud, there's the little item of the CENOMAR required for a K1 visa. :no::no:

The OP asked what to do now. Although it would have been smarter research this ahead of time to set the proper expectations, that's water under the bridge.

What YOU have to do is notify USCIS you are withdrawing you I-129F petition and your wife notifies the Embassy, she is withdrawing her K1 visa application. You then start the visa process again as married people. See the guides to familiarize yourself with the process and come back with any remaining or ongoing questions.

Congratulations and good luck.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Jim K.

What ARE you thinking????? :blink:

The OP decided to marry before the interview for the K1...now they have to start all over again and file the K3, including the fee payment, as there is NO changing petitions...and they'll have to wait all over again.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

Jim K.

YOU ARE TELLING SOMEONE TO COMMIT VISA FRAUD.......... and thats your best advice.... I dont think we need it... and its is in violation of the TOS of VJ...

Kez

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

OMG and i thought advice on this site couldnt get any worse.

-makes mental note never to take advice from Sharon Austin

oh and Sharon Austin id ADVICE you to go back thru the terms and conditions once again, might be in YOUR best interest

Edited by Ionescu

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

If I were you... I would go to the interview, explain whatever reason you had to marry before the approval... and who knows... that might let your fiancé come to the US and have you do the AOS (adjustment Of Stattus) right away.

But NEVER lie!

K-1 Visa - Timeline

04/06/2005 - Met @ Monte Bar

11/24/2005 - Second Trip

11/28/2005 - Got Engaged

03/09/2006 - I-129F Sent

06/23/2006 - I-129F RFE(s)

08/25/2006 - I-129F NOA2

08/29/2006 - NVC Received

09/05/2006 - NVC Left

09/12/2006 - Received by Consulate

10/06/2006 - Surprise Visit - Third Trip

10/04/2007 - Fouth Trip

11/13/2007 - GREAT NEWS... WE'RE PREGNANT!!!

01/09/2008 - Found out we had been scheduled for an interview!!!

03/10/2008 - Approved!!!

03/19/2008 - Visa Received

03/25/2008 - POE Miami

04/07/2008 - Applied for Social Security

04/19/2008 - Social Security Card Received

04/22/2008 - Applied for Marriage License

04/30/2008 - Marriage Counseling Class

05/23/2008 - Wedding Day!!!

06/13/2008 - Daughter Born!!!

06/18/2008 - AOS sent

06/23/2008 - Visa expired

09/05/2008 - RFE, Regarding Co-Sponsor [i-864]

09/25/2008 - Received AP

10/20/2008 - Documents sent

10/29/2008 - Case Touched, "Case resumed"

10/31/2008 - Case Touched

11/03/2008 - Case Touched

01/08/2009 - RFE

02/19/2009 - Documents Sent

03/12/2009 - I-765, Touched!!!

03/13/2009 - Employment Authorization Cards ON-HAND!!!

03/19/2009 - Received Interview letter for I-485!!!

05/11/2009 - Interview day... Approved, card production ordered!!!!

05/14/2009 - Welcome Letter received!!!

06/20/2009 - Green Card Received!!!

Lift Conditions on 02/11/2011

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If I were you... I would go to the interview, explain whatever reason you had to marry before the approval... and who knows... that might let your fiancé come to the US and have you do the AOS (adjustment Of Stattus) right away.

But NEVER lie!

The problem with your "Who knows?" question is that the answer is "We know! We really know!". If the couple is in a hurry to reunite in the USA, your recommendation will, at best, delay that by the time between now and then. Actually what will happen is that a K1 visa denial will remain on the permanent USCIS and DOS records related to both the petitioner and beneficiary. Maybe they'll think its no big deal because they took some lousy advice. Maybe they'll consider the attempt fraud and ban her from the USA for 10 years. Maybe something in between. Who knows? :no:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

not to reveal anything to the consulate because if you do your entire process will be denied and you would be placed on administrative review,

Like the military says, don't ask, don't tell, keep it your little secret! Best advice!

What on earth are you talking about?

The consulate knows about the K1 application now and they will know about it when they interview for their spousal visa. NEVER lie to immigration. If you lie, the result is a charge of misrepresentation. That requires a waiver. If the waiver is denied there is NO VISA EVER.

And by the way, read the Terms of Service for Visa Journey:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&page=terms

you will not: Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration

:dead:

(Could we get an emoticon for WORST ADVICE EVER?)

Good advise! DO NOT LIE

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.