Kush_Omaded

Embassy Confusion

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi friends,

My fiancé (beneficiary) just had his interview in Kabul late last month; he was given a 221g for administrative processing, pending his medical results (which take forever to reach the embassy over there), but the embassy kept his passport. We recently received the below email from the embassy, which confused us, as nobody involved in our case had sent any email to the embassy inquiring about our status. So questions, just for our peace of mind, while we wait for the embassy to open so we can ask them: 1) could the embassy have just goofed, and replied to the wrong case?  2) If it's not a goof, and is meant for us, this doesn't indicate a permanent denial, right? Just temporary while administrative processing is completed?

Thanks!

AP Letter.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It says refused under 221g says nothing about denied.  Your visa was refused due to missing information

YMMV

It just means your case is going through AP still. It's not a sign of anything wrong or that you need to do anything....just more waiting.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 1 month later...

When my husband was awaiting his visa from Kabul, they kept his passport as well.  I want to say they kept it a good 2-3 weeks, but that was a good sign. The next notification was to come pick up his passport with his visa.  Good luck!

07/07/14: Met at work

08/01/14: Began relationship

11/04/14: Nikah performed

11/17/14: Civil Marriage

12/09/14: Mailed I-130 package

12/26/14: NOA 1 received

01/17/15: Afghan wedding with family

05/20/15 : NOA 2 received

05/23/15: Returned to US without husband :cry:

05/28/15: NVC Received

06/18/15: Welcome Letter

08/12/15: Received Offer Letter of Employment
08/13/15: Overnighted AOS/IV package

08/23/15 - 09/11/15: Meet husband for holiday after three months

09/11/15: Letter from NVC. Package sent to Embassy. Interview date received!

10/20/15: Interview. Went to Admin Processing. Asking for joint sponsor.

11/09/15: Joint Sponsor docs submitted to Embassy

11/11/15 : ceac.state.gov says "ISSUED!!"

11/15/15: VISA IN HAND!!!!

11/21/15: ARRIVED! :goofy:(L):dance:

09/14/2017:  File I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (extended 18 months)
01/24/2019: RFE received
03/18/2019: Mailed RFE
04/09/2019:  Approved
12/15/2019: N-400 Application for Naturalization filed
01/06/2020: Biometrics
09/22/2020: Interview (NOT APPROVED AT THIS TIME)

• 4 months later...
Timeline
10 hours ago, NeHAZ16 said:

My fiancé had his interview  in Kabul in April 2018 and we are still in administrative processing after 8 months. Any updates  or advice ?

Hi NeHAZ16, unfortunately it's just a waiting process now. We interviewed in May and are also still in Administrative Processing, and I know a few others on the forum are in the same situation. If you'd like, you can contact your Senator. The Senator will likely get the same response as we would get, just a generic reply stating that the case is in administrative processing and there's not an estimated time of completion. But, even so, it can still be comforting to feel there's at least someone advocating on your behalf. Otherwise, just do your best to be optimistic and start trying to prepare for the next steps. And remember, your fiancé will likely need to redo their medical exam, so be sure that they are prepared for that financially.

Hello NeHAZ16

When our package finally arrived at the Embassy, it was about six weeks before my husband had his interview.  After his interview, we went into administrative processing as they wanted more information.  However, the embassy was pretty quick to get back with us and my husband had his VISA in-hand three weeks after his interview.  Of course, this was 3 years ago (prior to President Trump and his administration).  As Kush_Omaded stated, there isn't much to do except to wait. :( Writing to your Senator may call attention to your file, but there is no telling.  They get hundreds of letters and call per day asking about VISA status.   

Just curious...did they take your 
fiancees passport during the interview?  If so, that is a good sign that they are prepared to issue the VISA, but they just are waiting on something....but who knows what. 

07/07/14: Met at work

08/01/14: Began relationship

11/04/14: Nikah performed

11/17/14: Civil Marriage

12/09/14: Mailed I-130 package

12/26/14: NOA 1 received

01/17/15: Afghan wedding with family

05/20/15 : NOA 2 received

05/23/15: Returned to US without husband :cry:

05/28/15: NVC Received

06/18/15: Welcome Letter

08/12/15: Received Offer Letter of Employment
08/13/15: Overnighted AOS/IV package

08/23/15 - 09/11/15: Meet husband for holiday after three months

09/11/15: Letter from NVC. Package sent to Embassy. Interview date received!

10/20/15: Interview. Went to Admin Processing. Asking for joint sponsor.

11/09/15: Joint Sponsor docs submitted to Embassy

11/11/15 : ceac.state.gov says "ISSUED!!"

11/15/15: VISA IN HAND!!!!

11/21/15: ARRIVED! :goofy:(L):dance:

09/14/2017:  File I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (extended 18 months)
01/24/2019: RFE received
03/18/2019: Mailed RFE
04/09/2019:  Approved
12/15/2019: N-400 Application for Naturalization filed
01/06/2020: Biometrics
09/22/2020: Interview (NOT APPROVED AT THIS TIME)

4 hours ago, Amena14 said:

Hello NeHAZ16

When our package finally arrived at the Embassy, it was about six weeks before my husband had his interview.  After his interview, we went into administrative processing as they wanted more information.  However, the embassy was pretty quick to get back with us and my husband had his VISA in-hand three weeks after his interview.  Of course, this was 3 years ago (prior to President Trump and his administration).  As Kush_Omaded stated, there isn't much to do except to wait. :( Writing to your Senator may call attention to your file, but there is no telling.  They get hundreds of letters and call per day asking about VISA status.   

Just curious...did they take your 
fiancees passport during the interview?  If so, that is a good sign that they are prepared to issue the VISA, but they just are waiting on something....but who knows what. 

No unfortunately they didn’t take his passport. 

6 hours ago, Kush_Omaded said:

Hi NeHAZ16, unfortunately it's just a waiting process now. We interviewed in May and are also still in Administrative Processing, and I know a few others on the forum are in the same situation. If you'd like, you can contact your Senator. The Senator will likely get the same response as we would get, just a generic reply stating that the case is in administrative processing and there's not an estimated time of completion. But, even so, it can still be comforting to feel there's at least someone advocating on your behalf. Otherwise, just do your best to be optimistic and start trying to prepare for the next steps. And remember, your fiancé will likely need to redo their medical exam, so be sure that they are prepared for that financially.

Thank you and yes I contacted my senator. Goodluck!  

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 6/11/2018 at 6:56 PM, Kush_Omaded said:

Hi friends,

My fiancé (beneficiary) just had his interview in Kabul late last month; he was given a 221g for administrative processing, pending his medical results (which take forever to reach the embassy over there), but the embassy kept his passport. We recently received the below email from the embassy, which confused us, as nobody involved in our case had sent any email to the embassy inquiring about our status. So questions, just for our peace of mind, while we wait for the embassy to open so we can ask them: 1) could the embassy have just goofed, and replied to the wrong case?  2) If it's not a goof, and is meant for us, this doesn't indicate a permanent denial, right? Just temporary while administrative processing is completed?

Thanks!

AP Letter.png

Hello,

I am not sure, but to me that sounds like an automatic response after the interview letting the US citizen (you) also know the outcome of the interview. (The outcome being AP) Just my thoughts, and I do not think you should worry. I have read that mostly people in AP are due to being a refugee, is your fiance living or lived as a refugee any place?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.