Paul & Mallory

AOS Submission Requirements - DS-3025 NOT marked complete - missing immunizations?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have searched the forums for related topics, and although I have come across some similar scenarios... they were either not exactly the same situation, or the posts were rather dated. I shared our situation in the forums specific to the country of origin (Sweden), but figured I'd also post within a broader spectrum, in case there is anyone who's had the same happen to them and can share some insight.

During Paul's pre-embassy interview medical in Sweden, the panel physician checked off a majority of the required vaccinations as complete (DTP/DTaP, IPV, MMR, Varicella History, and Influenza); however, he told him the remaining vaccinations should be completed once he's stateside because it would be easier. The only vaccinations left were the ones indicated by a Blanket Waiver (code A), which include Rotavirus, Hib, Hep A, Hep B, Meningococcal, and Pneumococcal. As a result, Section 2 of his vaccination record is NOT marked "Complete", but rather the box for "K1 Visa Applicant electing not to be vaccinated at this examination" is ticked.

In researching the forums, we are still conflicted on what exactly we are supposed to do for AOS purposes. It's my understanding that if the DS-3025 is complete, and the original medical was completed within the past year, the I-693 is NOT required and nothing further will need to be done (such as additional medical or vaccinations). We've also heard that the above "code A" vaccinations are not in fact required. However, with his DS-3025 not being marked complete and the confusion around what, if any, vaccinations he has left to obtain, we feel a little lost.

I have called various civil surgeons in my state (South Carolina) and everyone I've spoken to sounds so unsure or unfamiliar with this particular process, it doesn't give me any confidence.

Any suggestions or similar experiences with insight to share?

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Visa vaccination requirements are not the same as AOS requirements. The vaccinations at the interview level are merely a suggestion and not mandatory. For AOS you are required to show them. If you have a valid vaccinations form, whether or not it’s complete, and by valid I mean within a year, you find a USCIS doctor who can give you those boosts and finish the form. You are not required to submit the medical form when you first file for AOS, but you’ll be asked at the interview. There’s no way around it, you just have to complete it. It should be fairly easy though. Just find a USCIS doctor and make an appointment and don’t forget to bring that form so they can finish it. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, LizM said:

So his DS-3025 sheet looks exactly like this, except marked "K visa applicant electing not to be vaccinated at this examination", is that correct? (Ignore the OPV/IPV part, it is waived as you can see clearly, but my doctor filled out my OPV vaccinations anyway for some reason).

IMG-0065.JPG

Yes - his looks exactly like that. The only difference is down in Section 2 - the box you have checked is not checked on his, but the one you referenced above. The same vaccines are marked as completed on the lefthand side, and he has the same "A" annotations on the righthand side.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

Timeline
1 minute ago, TNJ17 said:

Visa vaccination requirements are not the same as AOS requirements. The vaccinations at the interview level are merely a suggestion and not mandatory. For AOS you are required to show them. If you have a valid vaccinations form, whether or not it’s complete, and by valid I mean within a year, you find a USCIS doctor who can give you those boosts and finish the form. You are not required to submit the medical form when you first file for AOS, but you’ll be asked at the interview. There’s no way around it, you just have to complete it. It should be fairly easy though. Just find a USCIS doctor and make an appointment and don’t forget to bring that form so they can finish it. 

Thank you! This is what I was hoping to hear (worst case scenario we just have to find a USCIS doctor nearby and have it completed, if needed), but could not get clarification on that, even from the local doctor's office.

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline
Just now, Paul & Mallory said:

Thank you! This is what I was hoping to hear (worst case scenario we just have to find a USCIS doctor nearby and have it completed, if needed), but could not get clarification on that, even from the local doctor's office.

Yeah you do. It’s a requirement. But you can file without it, and my advice is file for AOS without it ASAP because it’s taking such a long time for them to process. While you’re AOS is being processed you’re off getting your vaccinations and not wasting time. 

Timeline

Yeah you do. It’s a requirement. But you can file without it, and my advice is file for AOS without it ASAP because it’s taking such a long time for them to process. While you’re AOS is being processed you’re off getting your vaccinations and not wasting time. 

YES That's what I needed to hear. We were becoming worried that this would hold up AOS, if we had to do this before filing.

So when filing, do we go ahead and submit a copy of his DS-3025 as is?

I think you can enter your zip code on the USCIS website and find the nearest USCIS doctor to you. 

Yes, that's how I found the ones in my area. I called two that were closest to where we live, and the person I talked to did not sound very familiar of the process and had to put me on hold to double check a couple of my questions, so it didn't serve as a whole lot of assurance. lol

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline

Submit everything but the medical stuff. Because you are gonna need to take it to the doctor with you. 

You can make a note on your cover letter than your medical is pending. 

Timeline

Submit everything but the medical stuff. Because you are gonna need to take it to the doctor with you. 

You can make a note on your cover letter than your medical is pending. 

Thank you so much!

Håll ut, y'all.

Found this, even though it's a couple of years old. It's not entirely clear if it applies to your case though, because the vaccination sheet was included in your overseas medical report, but it was not properly completed I suppose. I found the I-693 instructions to be the same in the form as of today, except it now says you need to complete part 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 9 of the I-693, and not page 1. 

"From the I-693 instructions page 4, Section III. 2, c, 2

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit the vaccination record and page 1 of Form I-693."

h

40 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Do you by any chance know where I can find out more about what the AOS vaccination requirements are? Because I can't seem to find any source that tells me I need other vaccinations for AOS. My vaccination sheet includes, as you saw, lots of A waivers, the same as @Paul & Mallory Paul's. But I have checkmarks in all boxes for the vaccinations that are required for my age (and season, as it was not flu season) according to the instructions for adjusting status on the CDC website https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

h

Timeline
1 hour ago, LizM said:

Found this, even though it's a couple of years old. It's not entirely clear if it applies to your case though, because the vaccination sheet was included in your overseas medical report, but it was not properly completed I suppose. I found the I-693 instructions to be the same in the form as of today, except it now says you need to complete part 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 9 of the I-693, and not page 1. 

"From the I-693 instructions page 4, Section III. 2, c, 2

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit the vaccination record and page 1 of Form I-693."

That's still somewhat helpful, and since the instructions haven't changed hopefully that information isn't too old, either. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, LizM said:

Do you by any chance know where I can find out more about what the AOS vaccination requirements are? Because I can't seem to find any source that tells me I need other vaccinations for AOS. My vaccination sheet includes, as you saw, lots of A waivers, the same as @Paul & Mallory Paul's. But I have checkmarks in all boxes for the vaccinations that are required for my age (and season, as it was not flu season) according to the instructions for adjusting status on the CDC website https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

We have had such a hard time finding this stuff. Even researching on the actual USCIS website - maybe it's straightforward and we're just making it complicated, because nowhere will it come out and say specific to our particular situation. But it's one of those things you definitely don't want to screw up.

Håll ut, y'all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.