bliv

DS-260 - Work-related question

9 posts in this topic

I am filling the ds-260  and I have some questions with regards to the employment section.

First this is my situation:

I have been with the same company for about 3.5 years and had two positions. One was that of a software developer (2.5 years) and the other as DevOps (1.5 years current).

I started out as a software developer, then got a promotion, my job title didn't change but duties did.

it's a software developer but I do the duties of what would be those similar to a mix computer systems analysts/user support technician/system administrator (according to O'NET database).

What do I fill in the form? Official title and the current duties I do? Because the title does not reflect the duties I actually do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Official title.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, bliv said:

With the duties I am currently doing or the official title-related duties from the company? My situation is kind of weird.

You're situation is not weird.  You are making it weird by focusing on your actual duties when the form asks for your title.  Use your official title.  Not the title you think you should have based on your duties.  Use the official title that the company uses for you.

Just now, Jojo92122 said:

You're situation is not weird.  You are making it weird by focusing on your actual duties when the form asks for your title.  Use your official title.  Not the title you think you should have based on your duties.  Use the official title that the company uses for you.

But the form also asks for the duties..

Will write official titles and the duties I am actually doing. Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, bliv said:

But the form also asks for the duties..

Will write official titles and the duties I am actually doing. Thanks!

Answer questions literally.  DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE.

The form asks what is your title.  That's simple, what your employer says your title is.

The form asks what are your duties.  Simple, list your duties.

Nowhere does it ask what your title should be based on your duties.  Nowhere, so keep it simple and answer what is asked, nothing more.

Keep it simple.  

Edited by Jojo92122

13 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Answer questions literally.  DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE.

The form asks what is your title.  That's simple, what your employer says your title is.

The form asks what are your duties.  Simple, list your duties.

Nowhere does it ask what your title should be based on your duties.  Nowhere, so keep it simple and answer what is asked, nothing more.

Keep it simple.  

Two more questions if you don't mind.

1. Do I input 'I forgot' if I don't remember supervisor's name in previous employment.

2. I have had two positions with my current employer. Do I only insert in the the 'present' section of the employment and list all duties pertaining to the two positions? Or do I list the present one in the present section and the previous one in the previous section?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.