geophil

CR-1 Visa interview success!!!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

:dance: Yes we got it :dance:

This long story is primarily meant for those who are going through Chennai consulate.

If you are on the way in your journey, I know how much you want to see the experiences with all the details.

For the May 3rd interview we (my wife and I) reached there on April 30. May 1st was a holiday, and so we wanted to get the medical done on April 30th itself.

So early in the morning of 30th we went to the Lister lab which is on the other end of Nungambakkam high road(Consulate is on one end of the same road). Reached there at 7:30 filled up the form with photo and gave them. they finished taking blood sample and xray in about 30 minutes. It was real quick because there were a huge crowd of people. I think for UK visa also they do the tests in the same lab. We were asked to get the report by 4:30 in the evening. We went back, collected the report, went to see the doctor.

Dr. Sanjan John has his clinic not very far away from the lab. So we can get a rickshaw or something and reach there in 10 minutes. We waited there for some time and everything was perfectly alright. He filled up the form and said we can keep the photocopy if we want, and give the original set of papers to the consulate guys. Then he said I need to get a couple vaccines and got the shots. He charged some 4000 rupees for all that. I dont know if this is the normal fee..

We will get the xray film from the lab, we should take it to the doctor, of course, but we don’t need that anymore. I saw many people coming to the consulate for interview with Xrays in their hand. We don’t need the xray for the interview. So if you don’t want to use it for further reference, you can by all means put the xray in a dust bin soon after the doctor appointment. ;)

So we got the whole medical done in a single day.

Then on May 3rd: Our appointment was at 8:00 am. And we reached there at 7:45(no use for getting there early). By the way, we stayed in a hotel nearby called Renjit. Consulate is only in a walkable distance from the hotel. We had our wedding album and other papers like the medical report etc. with us.

No CD, cell phone, cosmetics, bottles or sealed envelopes are allowed to be taken inside(though all that is not specifically listed in the letter). We left everything in the hotel except my wife had her waterbottle and some cosmetics. US citizens are allowed to get a locker to keep these things. But it is on the other gate of the consulate. She kept her stuffs there in the locker. But we saw the securities there throwing CDs out of the door from other guys in the line for interview. It’s quite like a security check in the air port. But the security guards are quite uncivilized in their dealings.

Once we get in with the Yellow letter they will direct you to the building where interviews are done. As we reach there with the yellow paper they will give you a seat in front of the counters. There were about 3 counters open for immigrant visa interviews. For other type of visas it was in the next hall. Guys at the entrance directed people to the appropriate hall. It was comparatively a less crowd for the immigrant visa. I think for the 8 am appointment there were about 10 people. And more came as time passed.

First an Indian lady called our name. we gave the passport and other papers like medical report to her . She was already having all the papers we submitted at VFS. And we said we have the wedding album with us. She didn’t want to see it, but just noted that we have album.

Now, she asked the DD of $380. Unfortunately we had taken our DD last week with the rate of April 15th. But in May 1st they changed the exchange rates. Though the DD we had was for the amount more than required we were asked to get a new DD right then. She gave us a white slip, which states we should get a DD as soon as possible and come back. We can use the slip for going in and out of the gate.

As soon as we got out of the gate to get the DD, some local guys approached us with offers of helping us to take the DD. We never know whether it is a cheat or what. Especially in a city like Chennai. We ignored them.

We rushed to a nearby ATM got cash, and went to a Indian Bank branch which was open from 8AM, and came back with the DD in 40 minutes.

Gave them the DD at the same counter. Then we waited and waited and waited for about 2 ½ hours for our turn. The interview was done by an American lady. We both went to the counter.

She asked some questions like how we got married. And how was it arranged and blablabla.

We explained how we met and how we arranged our marriage and all that. Then asked if we have any other certificate of marriage. I explained that we don’t have a church certificate or anything. The only thing we had for our wedding was the registration by special marriage act. Then we had a reception. And the reception is not a religious thing so we don’t have any other certificate to give.

Then she asked my wife when did she come to India. It was in 2005 June. So she asked whether my wife registered with the authority for staying longer? Yes, we showed them the FRRO registration paper. She has permission to stay until 2010. The lady smiled and said "you can stay another 3 years, but we need it in every 6 months" . Why do you want to go now. :) the lady asked. she explained that we have our parents all alone there and we have to go back. Blablabl.

The lady was quite friendly, and we showed a file of domicile proof(very recent insurance payments, loan payments, bank statements etc. ) By the way, we used our parents as co-sponsors (I864A). we had tons of docs more than what is required for support. My wife didn’t file her tax return for 2006 since she was not working. So we had a letter of explanation for that too included. But we had all W2 and tax return of her parents for 2006 and the very recent pay stubs too. So since she was not in the US for a long time we were prepared for a lot of domicile proof as well.

Then the lady at the counter went to the other counter and spoke to the guy there for a couple of minutes and came back and said “Everything seems alight.. you will receive your passport with the visa in it by courier within a week”

Yess.. now we are waiting for that.

The only point I had a problem was with the DD. So if there are fluctuations in exchange rates. And if your interview is close to 1st or 15th of a month. Delay your DD taking till the working day before the interview, and get the latest rates from the site and take the DD, otherwise we will have to rush, go out and take a fresh DD with the new amount (or keep USD ready with you $380 in currency. They will take it).

So other than the DD confusion everything went really well. I know this is a very long story, but there might be some of you who want to get all the details. It was not as hard as I imagined . And another lesson is: it is always better to be over-prepared with your documents!!

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement in my journey. :D

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations :dance: :dance:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

congratulations.... :dance:

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-07-11

I-130 Approved : 2006-07-26

NVC Received :

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2006-11-15

Pay I-864 Bill 2006-11-20

Receive I-864 Package : 2006-12-08

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2006-12-14

Receive IV Bill : 2006-12-19

Pay IV Bill : 2006-12-22

Recv'd DS230 packet from NVC : 2007-01-16

Recv'd another letter from NVC that they need additional req'ment and which is DS230 : 2006-01-16 (what?!!!! i just recv'd DS230)

Send DS230 to NVC - 2007-01-25

NVC rec'd thru USPS tracking - 2007-01-29

NVC confimed they recv DS230 (2007-01-30) and I-864 (reviewed and ok'd) - need to wait for 2-4 weeks for case completion.

Rec'd RFE from NVC (need certified copy of Birtch Cert. and Marriage Cert.) - 2007-02-13

Sent Mail Cert Copy of BC & MC thru fedex overnight to NVC - 2007-02-13

NVC rec'd Fedex Mail. 2007-02-14

NVC confirmed they rcvd the mail - 2007-02-15

CASE COMPLETE - 2007-02-28 (YES!!!)

Medical completed - 2007-04 - 2 & 3

Schedule Interview - 2007-04-12

Recvd her visa - 2007-04-27

CFO Seminar - 2007-04-27

Flight to SFO - 2007-05-04 (She's here, picked her up in the airport with roses in my hand)

###

I-751 (Removal of Conditional Residence)

Sent I-751 form in registered mail - 2009-03-04

I-751 received by California Service Center - 2009-03-06

Check cleared amount of $545 - 2009-03-09

Received NOA1 (Receipt Notice) 2009-03-13

Biometrics Completed - 2009-03-31

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Congratulations! :D

I-130:

2/13/07 ~ NOA1

5/31/07 ~ NOA2 Approval!

NVC: (Did not use James' shortcuts except for hubby sending DS-230 to me ahead of time!)

6/15/07 ~ Petition rec'vd by NVC

6/18/07 ~ Case # assigned

7/02/07 ~ DS3032/AOS bill generated

7/03/07 ~ COA email sent

7/09/07 ~ AOS bill rec'vd by mail

7/10/07 ~ Paid/Sent AOS bill

7/13/07 ~ Re-sent COA email, 1st email accepted

7/16/07 ~ IV bill generated

7/18/07 ~ AOS bill entered into system

7/28/07 ~ IV bill rec'vd by mail

8/06/07 ~ I864 packet rec'vd by mail

8/08/07 ~ Paid/sent IV bill

8/10/07 ~ Sent I864 to NVC

8/13/07 ~ NVC rec'vd I864

8/16/07 ~ IV bill entered into system

8/20/07 ~ DS230 generated

8/24/07 ~ I864 "approved"

9/01/07 ~ DS230 rec'vd by mail

9/05/07 ~ DS230 sent to NVC

9/07/07 ~ NVC receives DS230

9/11/07 ~ DS-230 in system "The NVC has rec'vd the checklist letter..."

9/24/07 ~ Chklist sent :o/

9/25/07 ~ Chklist being sent to me

9/26/07 ~ Automated msg changes to "checklist letter being sent..."

10/1/07 ~ Checklist letter rec'vd by mail

10/4/07 ~ Sent out checklist letter response to NVC...HUBBY'S BDAY :(

10/10/07~ NVC rec'vd checklist letter response

10/20/07~ CASE COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/07/07~ Case forwarded to embassy

12/05/07~ Interview

Onto the waiver process . . .

FAbG.jpg.png

Timeline

This long story is primarily meant for those who are going through Chennai consulate.

If you are on the way in your journey, I know how much you want to see the experiences with all the details.

For the May 3rd interview we (my wife and I) reached there on April 30. May 1st was a holiday, and so we wanted to get the medical done on April 30th itself.

So early in the morning of 30th we went to the Lister lab which is on the other end of Nungambakkam high road(Consulate is on one end of the same road). Reached there at 7:30 filled up the form with photo and gave them. they finished taking blood sample and xray in about 30 minutes. It was real quick because there were a huge crowd of people. I think for UK visa also they do the tests in the same lab. We were asked to get the report by 4:30 in the evening. We went back, collected the report, went to see the doctor.

Dr. Sanjan John has his clinic not very far away from the lab. So we can get a rickshaw or something and reach there in 10 minutes. We waited there for some time and everything was perfectly alright. He filled up the form and said we can keep the photocopy if we want, and give the original set of papers to the consulate guys. Then he said I need to get a couple vaccines and got the shots. He charged some 4000 rupees for all that. I dont know if this is the normal fee..

We will get the xray film from the lab, we should take it to the doctor, of course, but we don’t need that anymore. I saw many people coming to the consulate for interview with Xrays in their hand. We don’t need the xray for the interview. So if you don’t want to use it for further reference, you can by all means put the xray in a dust bin soon after the doctor appointment. ;)

Then on May 3rd: Our appointment was at 8:00 am. And we reached there at 7:45(no use for getting there early). By the way, we stayed in a hotel nearby called Renjit. Consulate is only in a walkable distance from the hotel. We had our wedding album and other papers like the medical report etc. with us.

No CD, cell phone, cosmetics, bottles or sealed envelopes are allowed to be taken inside(though all that is not specifically listed in the letter). We left everything in the hotel except my wife had her waterbottle and some cosmetics. US citizens are allowed to get a locker to keep these things. But it is on the other gate of the consulate. She kept her stuffs there in the locker. But we saw the securities there throwing CDs out of the door from other guys in the line for interview. It’s quite like a security check in the air port. But the security guards are quite uncivilized in their dealings.

Once we get in with the Yellow letter they will direct you to the building where interviews are done. As we reach there with the yellow paper they will give you a seat in front of the counters. There were about 3 counters open for immigrant visa interviews. For other type of visas it was in the next hall. Guys at the entrance directed people to the appropriate hall. It was comparatively a less crowd for the immigrant visa. I think for the 8 am appointment there were about 10 people. And more came as time passed.

First an Indian lady called our name. we gave the passport and other papers like medical report to her . She was already having all the papers we submitted at VFS. And we said we have the wedding album with us. She didn’t want to see it, but just noted that we have album.

Now, she asked the DD of $380. Unfortunately we had taken our DD last week with the rate of April 15th. But in May 1st they changed the exchange rates. Though the DD we had was for the amount more than required we were asked to get a new DD right then. She gave us a white slip, which states we should get a DD as soon as possible and come back. We can use the slip for going in and out of the gate.

As soon as we got out of the gate to get the DD, some local guys approached us with offers of helping us to take the DD. We never know whether it is a cheat or what. Especially in a city like Chennai. We ignored them.

We rushed to a nearby ATM got cash, and went to a Indian Bank branch which was open from 8AM, and came back with the DD in 40 minutes.

Gave them the DD at the same counter. Then we waited and waited and waited for about 2 ½ hours for our turn. The interview was done by an American lady. We both went to the counter.

She asked some questions like how we got married. And how was it arranged and blablabla.

We explained how we met and how we arranged our marriage and all that. Then asked if we have any other certificate of marriage. I explained that we don’t have a church certificate or anything. The only thing we had for our wedding was the registration by special marriage act. Then we had a reception. And the reception is not a religious thing so we don’t have any other certificate to give.

Then she asked my wife when did she come to India. It was in 2005 June. So she asked whether my wife registered with the authority for staying longer? Yes, we showed them the FRRO registration paper. She has permission to stay until 2010. The lady smiled and said "you can stay another 3 years, but we need it in every 6 months" . Why do you want to go now. :) the lady asked. she explained that we have our parents all alone there and we have to go back. Blablabl.

The lady was quite friendly, and we showed a file of domicile proof(very recent insurance payments, loan payments, bank statements etc. ) By the way, we used our parents as co-sponsors (I864A). we had tons of docs more than what is required for support. My wife didn’t file her tax return for 2006 since she was not working. So we had a letter of explanation for that too included. But we had all W2 and tax return of her parents for 2006 and the very recent pay stubs too. So since she was not in the US for a long time we were prepared for a lot of domicile proof as well.

Then the lady at the counter went to the other counter and spoke to the guy there for a couple of minutes and came back and said “Everything seems alight.. you will receive your passport with the visa in it by courier within a week”

The only point I had a problem was with the DD. So if there are fluctuations in exchange rates. And if your interview is close to 1st or 15th of a month. Delay your DD taking till the working day before the interview, and get the latest rates from the site and take the DD, otherwise we will have to rush, go out and take a fresh DD with the new amount (or keep USD ready with you $380 in currency. They will take it).

So other than the DD confusion everything went really well. I know this is a very long story, but there might be some of you who want to get all the details. It was not as hard as I imagined . And another lesson is: it is always better to be over-prepared with your documents!!

Congratulations!

Have a quick question regarding the $380 DD. Did you not pay that at the NVC since you are doing a CR1 visa?

Why did you have to pay for it again?

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
:dance::dance: CONGRATULATIONS Geophil! :dance: :dance: Glad you had a good experience at Dr's office (we used same doc, he gave MMR and Varicella only for Rs $1,500 total). Sorry you had to get a new DD. Good you ignored the offer of the guys outside to get you DD - yes probably a scam! Glad you got such a nice friendly lady for the interview!

***Nagaraju & Eileen***
K1 (Fiance Visa)
Oct 18, 2006: NOA1
Feb 8, 2007: NOA2
April 13, 2007: INTERVIEW in Chennai -Approved
May 25, 2007: USA Arrival! EAD at JFK
June 15, 2007: Married
AOS (Adjustment of Status)
June 21, 2007: AOS/EAD Submitted
Sept 18, 2007: AOS Interview - APPROVED!!
ROC (Removing of Conditions)
June 23, 2009: Sent in I-751 packet
Sept 11, 2009: APPROVED!!
Sept 18, 2009: Received 10-year Green Card!

Naturalization
July 15, 2010: Sent N-400 packet
July 23, 2010: NOA Notice date
Oct 15, 2010: Citizenship Interview - Passed!
Nov 15, 2010: Oath Ceremony in Fresno, CA
Nov 24, 2010: Did SSN and Applied for Passport
Dec 6, 2010: Passport Arrives
Dec 7, 2010: Sent for Indian Passport Surrender Certificate
Dec 27, 2010: Surrender Certificate Arrives
Jan 3, 2011: Sent for Overseas Citizenship of India Card
March 1, 2011: Received OCI card!

Divorce

Feb 2015:​ Found out he was cheating (prostitutes / escorts)

​May 2015: Divorce Final

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations to you and your wife!

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Thanks guys,

Congratulations!

Have a quick question regarding the $380 DD. Did you not pay that at the NVC since you are doing a CR1 visa?

devblt,

we were trying the DCF rout(US citizen resident in India can walk-in to the Delhi embassy and file I-130), so it was not through NVC. That means we have to pay $380 at the time of the interview.

Timeline
Thanks guys,
Congratulations!

devblt,

we were trying the DCF rout(US citizen resident in India can walk-in to the Delhi embassy and file I-130), so it was not through NVC. That means we have to pay $380 at the time of the interview.

O.K.. good to know. Your timeline didn't indiciate DCF that's why I was wondering.

Congratulations again. When do you expect your wife to come over?

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Congratulations!

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.