68 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, NancyLyz said:

Update 6/28/2018

Today in the afternoon, my case has updated to "we mailed your card". My tracking number shows that my EAD will arrive on Saturday. I'm planning to change the names on my social security card and to renew my Driver's license. I don't know whether DMV needs to see my new social security card or when they'll be able to verify the name change with the social security office. But anyhow, first thing next Monday is to visit a local social security administration office and after that maybe visit a DMV directly on the same day, just to confirm whether I have to wait. 

In addition, I'll probably need to add additional notes to my passport that I've changed my last name (it only applies to Chinese citizens since last names can't be changed on a Chinese passport), which seems to be an easy process as long as I can get all the documents.

I may change social media information as well but I'm not sure yet. I only use LinkedIn and Facebook. I don't use them that often anyway.

11.5-25.5 months for Los Angeles Office

8-18.5 months for San Bernardino Office

I've gotten no clue which field office I'll be assigned but hopefully asap.

Thank you all for following. I'll keep posting updates whenever I get one. Love you all. My husband has found my post quite interesting because this is like reading my diary to him lol.

Please keep updating your name change process in SSN (which should be sent to you after EAD card received if you chose to get a new SSN card in the 765 form), driver's license, and Chinese passport! I'm planning to do the name change for those in two weeks or so, because I want to have my marriage certificate authenticated by the Embassy during the trip to add note in my passport, and it takes the State at lease two weeks for mail in request (Geeeez). 

2 yr GC approved 04/29/2019

10 yr GC approved 06/02/2021

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, A&H2018 said:

Goto infopass link put your zip code. That is your field office.

Hopefully you can start working after the 4th :).

My own expedite is near complete. Good job being proactive.

Then I guess my field office is Los Angeles Office. I had an Infopass session at the Los Angeles Field Office.

Timeline
36 minutes ago, txkangaroo said:

Please keep updating your name change process in SSN (which should be sent to you after EAD card received if you chose to get a new SSN card in the 765 form), driver's license, and Chinese passport! I'm planning to do the name change for those in two weeks or so, because I want to have my marriage certificate authenticated by the Embassy during the trip to add note in my passport, and it takes the State at lease two weeks for mail in request (Geeeez). 

I don't think I applied for a new SSN card since I already have a social security number. I'll keep you updated. I think the Chinese Embassy in Los Angeles takes 4 business days to process adding a note in the passport. If you pay extra, they can get that done within 1 business day. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

Which specific area are you in? If you're in the actual city of Los Angeles, you'll be in the LA office. San Bernardino's east of here and at least an hour's drive (maybe more, I can't remember). If you're not in the city, you're either in the SB office or the LA County office (that's different from the LA office).

PS: Still waiting for my interview! It's been in the LA office for almost 3 months now. 

My address is in Redondo Beach, a city within Los Angeles County. I guess either it's going to be at the LA office or the LA county office. They seem to have the same office address and I don't really know the difference between them. But anyway my case is ready to be scheduled since 5/21 with a 4/2 PD, I'm guessing by early next year between Feb and April (if lucky) I'll receive my interview notice. I'm fine with waiting. If they indeed take more than a year and half to schedule my interview, I'll be happy too because then I'll be married for 2 years and I don't need to go through I-751 anyway. But anyhow I'm glad I can start working soon. 

I've seen some Los Angeles cases being interviewed and processed at San Bernardino because the office there is less backlogged. But whatever the case is, I'm more than happy with the progress so far. Since you're also in the area, let's keep each other updated!

Just now, NancyLyz said:

My address is in Redondo Beach, a city within Los Angeles County. I guess either it's going to be at the LA office or the LA county office. They seem to have the same office address and I don't really know the difference between them. But anyway my case is ready to be scheduled since 5/21 with a 4/2 PD, I'm guessing by early next year between Feb and April (if lucky) I'll receive my interview notice. I'm fine with waiting. If they indeed take more than a year and half to schedule my interview, I'll be happy too because then I'll be married for 2 years and I don't need to go through I-751 anyway. But anyhow I'm glad I can start working soon. 

I've seen some Los Angeles cases being interviewed and processed at San Bernardino because the office there is less backlogged. But whatever the case is, I'm more than happy with the progress so far. Since you're also in the area, let's keep each other updated!

Ok yeah you're most likely LA County. LA County and LA are in the same building but different floors, I believe. They just serve different zipcodes. LA office serves thr central Los Angeles neighborhoods. LA County serves surrounding areas like Redondo Beach, Santa Barbara, etc. Orange County has their own office too. Ultimately the interview notice will tell you where to go.

I hadn't heard of LA cases being processed in SB but if it makes it go faster for some people, I wouldn't complain either. Their processing time is a good number of months shorter! Yeah I'll definitely keep you updated.🤞

Timeline

Update 6/30/2018

Oh boy I need help.

USPS tracking number of my EAD (provided by USCIS) showed that the package was delivered to La Puente (miles away from Redondo Beach) today and I didn't receive anything. I'm so desperate now and Sunday is going to be hell for me since neither USCIS nor USPS opens on Sunday. I've received all receipts, even the approval notice of my i-765 and I-131.

I'm asking the community what I can do to get the card. And if I need to get a new one from USCIS, what can I do to expedite the card replacement request? 

I have to get my EAD card, the actual card to get my social security card updated and my driver's license renewed before I can be rehired by my employer (7/21). 

My current plan is to: 

Call USPS first thing in the morning, find out more about where they delivered the package or just to get them admitted that they made a mistake.

a. if they can provide the address, I'll ask if they can retrieve the package. If yes, I'll ask them to retrieve and to deliver it again/or I can pick it up from the office; If not, I'd even just drive to that address and knock on the door to see if they have kept the mail.

b. if they can't provide the address, I'll still ask if they can retrieve the package. If yes, I'll ask them to retrieve and to deliver it again/or I can pick it up from the office;  If not, I'll ask them provide a statement that they've lost the package asap.

In the case that they can't retrieve the package and I have to file a replacement. I will contact my attorney and USCIS immediately. I'll plead to expedite it so that I don't lose the job. 

Any ideas what else I can do? 

Timeline

Update 7/2/2018

My combo card was delivered to the attorney's office! So this morning I drove to the office and got my combo card, then went straight to the Social security office. I spent only about 30-40 minutes in the office, waiting and processing name changes. The office told me that the new card will be delivered in 2 weeks and I have a receipt in hand for that. In addition, she told me the name change update will be finalized probably tomorrow so DMV will be able to verify the new name and information. It's an easy process to update your name at the social security office. They'd even provide you with interpreters on the phone at the spot if needed.

List of documents provided for name change of Social security card:

Previously issued social security card (if any)

Combo card 

Marriage certificate

Social Security Application form 

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

The receipt includes following contents:

Information of the local social security office you visited 

Date of the visit

Your full name and address

"This is a receipt to show that you applied for a social security card on MMDD, YYYY. You should have your card in about 2 weeks. Any document(s) you have submitted are being returned to you with this receipt."

"You can use your Social security card for work only if you have authorization from the Department of Homeland Security"

"If you do not receive your social security card within 2 weeks, please let us know. You may call, write, or visit any Social security office. If you visit an office, please bring this receipt with you. To protect your privacy, we will not disclose a social security number over the telephone."

"The Social Security Administration is required by law to limit replacement social security cards to three per year and ten per lifetime. Do not carry your social security card with you. Keep it in a safe location, not in your wallet."

Next step: 

I'm going to try my luck with DMV early morning tomorrow (Like I'll literally get there by 7 or something) since I don't have an appointment (I did make one 7/28...but I'd rather wait in line and get in done early). 

I'm heading to the Embassy on Thursday (Wednesday is the Fourth of July!) 

Once I've received updated social security card, driver's license and passport, I'll visit and call my banks to update my name on the bank accounts and credit cards.

Timeline

Update 7/3/2018

After waiting for more than 4 hours in the DMV today, I've finally received a temporary license, renewed and updated my driver's license (name change and Real ID), and updated my car title. I can't really blame the long wait since I didn't have an appointment and the staff who helped me was actually pretty nice and patient. (Lincoln Park DMV)

So I got into the waiting line around 7:30 outside DMV, the queue for people who don't have appointments. By 9:10, I've finally checked in and got a number. Headed to the window to complete the DL 44 form online. 10:50, finally it's my term to get my stuff done. By 11:40, I'm finally out of DMV. If you can make an appointment, please do.

Documents needed (applies to California Real ID only):

Social security card + receipt from the local social security office confirming name change

Expired Driver's license

Combo card

Proof of residency (I used a bank statement) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement 

Marriage certificate

To change the name on your car title, just bring your car title.

DMV will provide you with a form called statement of facts as well. You have to sign and state that you're changing from name xxx to yyy.

Edited by NancyLyz

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey,

So I checked my file is currently with San Diego office too for over a month. Not sure whats the deal with these California offices do they get the file just to keep it near themselves. Most other field offices get it only when interview is planned 30-60 days out.

Anyways great job on getting everything completed before the holiday tomorrow.

Edited by A&H2018

Timeline
1 hour ago, A&H2018 said:

Hey,

So I checked my file is currently with San Diego office too for over a month. Not sure whats the deal with these California offices do they get the file just to keep it near themselves. Most other field offices get it only when interview is planned 30-60 days out.

Anyways great job on getting everything completed before the holiday tomorrow.

Thank you. I really need a valid driver's license.

Yeah California field offices are very backlogged and busy. I think the interview will not come any time soon so I'm fine with just waiting while I can work and travel. If the interview actually come after the two-year mark, I'd be happy as well because then I don't need to go through I-751. Los Angeles County office currently takes 15-36 months for I-485 family-based adjustment. I'm definitely expecting to renew my combo card first and then the interview notice lol

How's your process going? I'm assuming adjusting through employment should be easier? Have you received your EAD?

Timeline

Update 7/6/2018

I didn't know that the Consulate of China in Los Angeles (or as a matter of fact all Chinese Consulates) now require an appointment to process anything related to a Chinese passport. So after spending 45 minutes waiting, I kinda just have to roll my eyes and get an appointment. Luckily, the appointment system is pretty easy to use. What's annoying is you can't edit any information once you've confirmed the appointment. The only way to edit the appointment is to cancel it first, and then reserve a new appointment 72 hours later. The online appointment system allows you to upload digital photos and it's not really strict about the photo requirements. Since I am going to take an exam on 8/1 morning, I selected my appointment that early afternoon at 1:00 pm. They only open from 9 to 2. 

It's definitely not easy to find parking around that area. But I guess my suggestion will be there are retail parking available nearby (within 10 min walk), which can be validated by retail stores in the building (3150 Wilshire Blvd). The entrance of the retail parking building is located on Shatto Pl. The address of the Consulate is 500 Shatto Pl.

In addition, my I-131 case status updated this morning randomly (post-decision activity). I have received my combo card about a week ago.

Anyway, now the only thing left for me is to wait. Hopefully my social security card and Driver's license will arrive soon (I have a temporary one that's valid till 9/30).

I won't have updates on this post for a while until: Receiving updated ssc and dl; completing adding notes to the passport; any updates on my I-485 (which has been "ready to schedule interview" since 5/21)

Love you all and best of luck to all my fellow VJers!

Timeline

I am marriage based, even though was here on a work visa initially. Process is about the same for anyone married to USC, lucky few get interviews early and then everyone else waits. The one thing is they initially almost delayed my case cause thought my i94 was valid till nov2018. So had to explain I left my job and onto a new one soon via an expedite. Havent got the card yet but got approval and since I have Canadian ID truly do not need the card for i-9 purposes. 

Great job pushing everything through. USCiS is pushing back timelines now just the reality unless you expedite or explain why need it nothing they can do.

Timeline

San Diego updated their data to be more accurate due to the onslaught of daca etc...9.5 months is blue box now. Los Angeles, CA office is 4months on lower limit. LA county is 13.5 months. San B is 9months. 

So I guess if one lives in downtown LA you can lottery get interviews in 3 months. You just need to laugh at the data at this point.

Timeline
Just now, A&H2018 said:

San Diego updated their data to be more accurate due to the onslaught of daca etc...9.5 months is blue box now. Los Angeles, CA office is 4months on lower limit. LA county is 13.5 months. San B is 9months. 

So I guess if one lives in downtown LA you can lottery get interviews in 3 months. You just need to laugh at the data at this point.

Nah I reside in Redondo Beach, which falls into the LA county office. I'm honestly not expecting my interview to arrive any time sooner than a year. I'd rather they keep me waiting until I've married for about 2 years then I don't need to go through the I-751 nightmare. But I'm guessing there is still a chance to get an interview by the end of the year if they move my case to San B office (my attorney's address is closer to the east side of LA anyway) so you never know. 

For now I'm just happy that I can work and travel. 

Good luck on your application. You're probably pretty successful in your career coming down here with an L1 visa. Sorry that you still have to go through all the bs with USCIS.

Timeline

Thanks for the kind words, but I am fine waiting and would rather bypass i751 too. Just fear that the interview will come right before and then have to do i751 ans n400 all at once. 

Plus just would prefer overall better communication for everyone. Now to provide information to all june/july filers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.