Merlofil

Proving Bona Fide marriage for CR1

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

My girlfriend (US citizen) and I (Italian) want to get married in the US, have me fly home and apply for the CR1 visa. I will be living in Europe while she will be living in the US after we get married. We will visit each other but we won't have a joint bank account (unless we add one another on our respective ones in our countries) and obviously we will not be able to have a joint lease. 

How do we prove our marriage is real? We have been dating for 3 years (2 years when we were students at the same university) and have many pictures together and have flight itineraries together. Will that be enough? 

Thank you!

Filed: Timeline

If you want to get married in the US, you need a K-1 visa. For that the stuff you have is sufficient.

When you file for a green card, add the marriage certificate and it should be enough. A bank account and matching credit cards would help.

When you file for green card removal of conditions 2 years after you receive the green card, then you need bank accounts, life insurance, health insurance, proof that your marriage was legit.

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

Just now, jyaku said:

If you want to get married in the US, you need a K-1 visa. For that the stuff you have is sufficient.

When you file for a green card, add the marriage certificate and it should be enough. A bank account and matching credit cards would help.

When you file for green card removal of conditions 2 years after you receive the green card, then you need bank accounts, life insurance, health insurance, proof that your marriage was legit.

I dont need a K-1 to get married in the US. I can get married on an esta, fly home and apply for a CR1 and thats what we intend to do. I do not want to sit at home for six months while we wait for my status to be adjusted. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, jyaku said:

If you want to get married in the US, you need a K-1 visa.

Incorrect, what the OP is proposing to do (marry in the US and return to his country afterward) is just fine.

OP, you should have plenty of evidence of time spent together in-person, that will be your strongest evidence so focus on that.  You will not be required or expected to have joint accounts.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Just now, Ryan H said:

Incorrect, what the OP is proposing to do (marry in the US and return to his country afterward) is just fine.

OP, you should have plenty of evidence of time spent together in-person, that will be your strongest evidence so focus on that.  You will not be required or expected to have joint accounts.

Thank you for your help, thats what I was hoping!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

We got a CR1 visa, and the part about having a joint bank account, living together and things like that are not usually needed if you have been married for under 2 years and living apart. They understand that logistically this doesn't make sense. 

The main thrust of your petition will be photos, travel documents showing you head travel to see each other, trips taken together.

Secondarily, some prints of text or messaging helps show a flow of regular communication. You don't need to go overboard on this, just a page per week over a period of time is plenty. The content of the conversations are not reviewed as much as dates.

For the financial part, I had my husband on my credit card as an authorized signer, but that may or may not make sense for you. It can be thrown in but that's more of a strategy of including everything plus the kitchen sink.

33 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

We got a CR1 visa, and the part about having a joint bank account, living together and things like that are not usually needed if you have been married for under 2 years and living apart. They understand that logistically this doesn't make sense. 

The main thrust of your petition will be photos, travel documents showing you head travel to see each other, trips taken together.

Secondarily, some prints of text or messaging helps show a flow of regular communication. You don't need to go overboard on this, just a page per week over a period of time is plenty. The content of the conversations are not reviewed as much as dates.

For the financial part, I had my husband on my credit card as an authorized signer, but that may or may not make sense for you. It can be thrown in but that's more of a strategy of including everything plus the kitchen sink.

Thank you for your answer, its very helpful!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
14 hours ago, jyaku said:

Not necessarily. They can get married in the US while he’s visiting then he gets back to his country and they can file CR1. You only need a K1 visa if you wanna get married and stay here to adjust status. 

Since they’re from a VWP country, CR1 is a much better choice. 

We had very little. We did have a joint US bank account, but that was all. I sent a copy of a statement from that account and two sworn affidavit's from friends of ours.

We didn't send any photo's or chat history and got approved without any problems, however every petition is different. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.