Hans Martin

NVC Checklist/Bring extra documents to interview

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me go through the documents to send in to NVC. I really appreciate the help from people in here so far! We owe you one!!

We are also planning to not wait for the most recent Tax Transcript (It's in processing), so I was thinking to just send the tax transcript papers she sent to the IRS, and bring the proper ones to the

interview. We are also waiting for a police certificate from Australia (I lived there for 12 months). Should I wait for that, or just write a note of what's missing and say that we are bringing it to the interview? Is that ok?  

Hers the documents we currently have:

From the applicant:

- Passport (BIO page)

- Translated birth certificate

- Marriage certificate

- Police certificate (from Norway, waiting for the one from Australia to come in the mail)

Affidavit's etc:

- Proof of US Status - Passport bio page from Petitioner and One joint sponsor

- One recent Pay stub from Joint sponsor (Do we need more than one?)

- Tax transcript 2017 (joint sponsor)

-  Unofficial Tax transcript 2017 (Petitioner)

Domicile:

We have to prove that my wife is planning to re-establish domicile in the US, I am planning to add the following papers:

- Statement of investment account with almost 30 000 $ in the USA

- American Credit card statements

- Bachelor Degree (graduation papers from America), planning to use this to get a job.

Antything else we need? Many thanks in advance!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The petitioner's passport bio page is not needed because the petitioner's status in the US has already been established; only the joint sponsor needs a passport bio page.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

1) What you are intending to send in for 2017 is the tax return, and that has to be accompanied by W2(s).

2) I would go with more than one pay stub to show the stability of the income. I sent in 6 months.

3) I would wait for the police certificate from Australia than risk a checklist.

4) You need to check on this one, but you probably need to send in a copy of the original birth certificate on top of the translated one.

I can't comment on the domicile documents because I have no experience with that.

Timeline
9 hours ago, ms_bobdog said:

1) What you are intending to send in for 2017 is the tax return, and that has to be accompanied by W2(s).

2) I would go with more than one pay stub to show the stability of the income. I sent in 6 months.

3) I would wait for the police certificate from Australia than risk a checklist.

4) You need to check on this one, but you probably need to send in a copy of the original birth certificate on top of the translated one.

I can't comment on the domicile documents because I have no experience with that.

I called the NVC and they said the W2’s were not necessary if we send the tax transcripts. Is that wrong?

2. I’ll do more than one 

3. You are probably right!

4. My original birth certificate comes with all the fields in both Norwegian and English, so it’s translated originally 

thanks for the help!

5 minutes ago, Hans Martin said:

I called the NVC and they said the W2’s were not necessary if we send the tax transcripts. Is that wrong?

Yes, if you send TRANSCRIPTS, you do not need W2s. But you said that the TRANSCRIPTS were not available, so what you are sending in are the tax RETURNS, which need to be accompanied by the W2s.

Do you have a place to live in the USA? 

Has your wife applied for any jobs?

These are the main domicile issues.  

Only the investment account shows any kind of domicile re-establishment. 

You will need more than one pay stub for evidence of ongoing income.   3-6 months worth. 

What is an unofficial transcript?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
49 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Do you have a place to live in the USA? 

Has your wife applied for any jobs?

These are the main domicile issues.  

Only the investment account shows any kind of domicile re-establishment. 

You will need more than one pay stub for evidence of ongoing income.   3-6 months worth. 

What is an unofficial transcript?

Wy wife's parents and family live in Florida. We are planning to move to California, so I don't see how we can show we have a place to live there? We don't have money to just rent a place without living there right now. Are there other ways? She could totally start applying for a few jobs. Would she just send copies of the applications then, or how can we use that as proof?

Great! We will get 3-6 months worth of pay stubs from our joint sponsor.

The problem with the Tax transcript is that she has not lived  and worked in America since 2014. I don't know much about the tax system in the USA, so her mom has sent 2016 and 2017 tax papers in to the IRS in order to get tax transcripts from these years. She said that we couldn't get tax transcripts from 2015 since my wife didn't have enough income/foreign income (she has lived in Norway since 2014). So the company they use to help them file taxes has sent us the signed tax transcripts that were sent to the IRS, but have not yet been processed by the IRS. Does that make sense?

Edited by Hans Martin

Timeline

To clarify; What we have is not a "Unofficial Tax transcript", but the tax return papers for 2016 and 2017. She has not had an American employer since 2014, so I believe W2's are not possible to get a hold of. Can we use this instead of the official tax transcript, and if so, does it need to be accompanied by something else?

I also read somewhere that the petitioner need to have filed taxes for the last 3 years, if we are missing 2015, will that be problematic.

Sorry for all the questions, just really don't want to get this wrong...

14 hours ago, Hans Martin said:

To clarify; What we have is not a "Unofficial Tax transcript", but the tax return papers for 2016 and 2017. She has not had an American employer since 2014, so I believe W2's are not possible to get a hold of. Can we use this instead of the official tax transcript, and if so, does it need to be accompanied by something else?

I also read somewhere that the petitioner need to have filed taxes for the last 3 years, if we are missing 2015, will that be problematic.

Sorry for all the questions, just really don't want to get this wrong...

As long as your wife has filed her tax returns with the IRS properly while living abroad she should be able to obtain her tax return transcripts online. 

So when you land in California what then?  Off to a hotel?  I'm trying to get a feel for your plans which is what a CO will do.  They want to know the USC has plans for when they return to the USA.  How they will support their spouse. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
7 hours ago, NikLR said:

As long as your wife has filed her tax returns with the IRS properly while living abroad she should be able to obtain her tax return transcripts online. 

So when you land in California what then?  Off to a hotel?  I'm trying to get a feel for your plans which is what a CO will do.  They want to know the USC has plans for when they return to the USA.  How they will support their spouse. 

I was not aware that you could attain this online. I will take a look at that. Problem is that the tax office she's been using just filed her taxes for 2016 and 2017. So it is not yet processed by the IRS. Understand? So we will either have to wait, which can take weeks/months, or just send in the 1040/W2's and write a note explaining that we will bring the actual transcript to the interview or mail it as a seperate package. Could that be a way of doing it? NVC doesn't state that it HAS to be a transcript. So I'm hoping this will be sufficient. We don't want to wait 1-2 months extra for the IRS. 

Our plan is that my wife will go to Florida for a few weeks to stay with her parents while I go crash with my brother (he currently lives in LA), and attend job interviews/apply for jobs in the LA area. But on second thought, I might not be able to tell the NVC about this plan? I don't know what the rules are for after we land in the US when it comes to "living" at a address that is registered with the NVC. But we just got to do what we got to do to get going I guess.

Yes you can bring or send the complete tax returns including all schedules.  I'm not sure what the equivilant of a US w2 is in Australia (in Canada it's a t4) but be sure to include that since she was probably claiming a foreign exclusion.  That's not an unofficial tax transcript, that is the tax return. 

On the ds-260 you needed to put a place you were going to live.  You can change that at interview or POE but since that is the plan I suggest doing it at interview.  Get a letter from her parents stating the plan she can live with them.  Get a letter from your brother stating your plan.  Be prepared for questions about why you don't plan on living together and prepare evidence on why this is a good route for you two.  It's beyond the norm obviously but if you have a plan in place that's the main thing.  

While domicile isn't as big of an issue for her as it would be for someone from Canada, dont take it too lightly.  Read your regional forum for greater depth on the subject. 

Timeline
On 4/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, NikLR said:

Yes you can bring or send the complete tax returns including all schedules.  I'm not sure what the equivilant of a US w2 is in Australia (in Canada it's a t4) but be sure to include that since she was probably claiming a foreign exclusion.  That's not an unofficial tax transcript, that is the tax return. 

On the ds-260 you needed to put a place you were going to live.  You can change that at interview or POE but since that is the plan I suggest doing it at interview.  Get a letter from her parents stating the plan she can live with them.  Get a letter from your brother stating your plan.  Be prepared for questions about why you don't plan on living together and prepare evidence on why this is a good route for you two.  It's beyond the norm obviously but if you have a plan in place that's the main thing.  

While domicile isn't as big of an issue for her as it would be for someone from Canada, dont take it too lightly.  Read your regional forum for greater depth on the subject. 

Thank you for bringing some clarity to this! 

Timeline
On 4/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, NikLR said:

Thank you for bringing some clarity to this! We will explain our plan and stick to that.

I'm actually not from Australia, but from Norway. That is where she has worked for the last few years. Do I need to include any tax papers from here though? We are not relying on her income for the sponsorship. We have a joint sponsor for that.

Edited by Hans Martin

7 hours ago, Hans Martin said:

Thank you for bringing some clarity to this! We will explain our plan and stick to that.

I'm actually not from Australia, but from Norway. That is where she has worked for the last few years. Do I need to include any tax papers from here though? We are not relying on her income for the sponsorship. We have a joint sponsor for that.

It doesn't matter if you're using a joint sponsor.  She needs to have filed the last 3 years if she made over the threshold to do so and provide that evidence for at least the latest year.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.