f-22

Translation of Thai documents to English

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife and I (US Citizen) was married in January this year in Thailand, we are prepping our paperwork to file the I-130. We know we need to get our paperwork Translated from Thai to English.  She is trying to do all the Translation  her self. Our question is: does she need go to the ministry to get a certificated stamp from them and  if needed, what exactly it needed to bring there (marriage certificate, marriage paperwork we filled out, her ID card, her prof of residence)

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It will not be necessary to obtain any special stamp from a ministry. All she will need to do is sign the required attestation  statement.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ryan H said:

It will not be necessary to obtain any special stamp from a ministry. All she will need to do is sign the required attestation  statement.

Yes, see the I-130 instructions.  Chances are the only documents needing translation are the marriage certificate and divorce, annulment or death certificate for former spouse, as applicable.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you I appreciate it, perhaps she has heard some wrong information which seems to be common there, because I told her what was on the list already. The attestation  statement is something you make yourself? 

1 hour ago, snake65 said:

Thank you I appreciate it, perhaps she has heard some wrong information which seems to be common there, because I told her what was on the list already. The attestation  statement is something you make yourself? 

Have a read of this:

https://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/154965.htm

Many of us have translated our own documents. No problem. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
7 hours ago, snake65 said:

The translator does that.  She only makes the statement herself if she is the translator.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can use the 'Certification by Translator' only if they are officially certified. Regardless if they can translate without any problems.  Have received an RFE due to not certified to translate. We even provided 'Certification by Translator', but they requested a stamp on that form showing the certified member number. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, ThyJourney said:

You can use the 'Certification by Translator' only if they are officially certified. Regardless if they can translate without any problems.  Have received an RFE due to not certified to translate. We even provided 'Certification by Translator', but they requested a stamp on that form showing the certified member number. 

There are certain countries where translations by private individuals are not accepted like they are from other countries.  China is one of those.  I didn't realize Thailand was one too.  For China, only translations from the Government Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu) are accepted.  What is the specific requirement for Thailand?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

There are certain countries where translations by private individuals are not accepted like they are from other countries.  China is one of those.  I didn't realize Thailand was one too.  For China, only translations from the Government Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu) are accepted.  What is the specific requirement for Thailand?

The translation can come from a business as long that business is accepted and approved by Thai government including the  MFA 'Ministry of Foreign Affairs."  I would highly recommend translation around offices that are MFA approved. Even a translation from a professional translator at the University that teaches English can get rejected if not around the MFA. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ThyJourney said:

The translation can come from a business as long that business is accepted and approved by Thai government including the  MFA 'Ministry of Foreign Affairs."  I would highly recommend translation around offices that are MFA approved. Even a translation from a professional translator at the University that teaches English can get rejected if not around the MFA. 

And now, I think the OP has the country specific answer they need.  USCIS guidelines are general but their policies are sometimes country specific.  This is one of those times, the policy does not follow the "guidelines" or instructions they give.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, ThyJourney said:

Hello! We got RFE and they need the ebgkish translation of our certificates (though we already submitted) and certification by translator. What do you mean by certified member number????

On 4/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, ThyJourney said:

We also received RFE and they are asking for a certification from translator that he/she is competent to translate thai to english. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.