cptnjay

Ukrainian citizen living in Russia- where to file?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello Folks!

I am American, my fiance is living in Russia, she moved there with her family a few years ago but is still a Ukrainian citizen. Kiev and and Moscow are both equal distance to her. My question is, with the current state of affairs between America and Russia, would it be ideal or even possible for her to interview in Kiev? I'm thinking it would be a shorter wait for this interview and if I file the I-129f now, who knows what will happen with Russian and American relations by then. They already closed St. Petersburg, which to my understanding only processed NIV's. But if anyone could give me some insight on the path of least resistance here, that would be great. I have poured over the internet and really haven't gotten a clear answer. Thanks in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She can apply in either the country of residence or country of nationality.

FWIW, I don't understand why people think the current bruhaha between US and Russia will have any effect on visas.  Unless they close the embassy or at a minimum close the IV unit it will have nil effect.  This is not the first time they have had a mutual pissing match

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Thats great to hear! Thank you so much, do you or anyone have any recommendation on which city Kiev or Moscow to file for a the quickest interview? Or easiest? Thanks for your quick response!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, cptnjay said:

Thats great to hear! Thank you so much, do you or anyone have any recommendation on which city Kiev or Moscow to file for a the quickest interview? Or easiest? Thanks for your quick response!

Kiev.  Moscow has been having interview slot availability issues for some time now

YMMV

Timeline

Just to add, when you get to the stage of the consulate interview.  In the event NVC assigns Moscow and you still want to interview in Kiev, then a request for consulate change needs be done and should take about two weeks to accomplish

YMMV

Timeline

I'm a Russian citizen in Russia, we filed for the interview to be in Ukraine because of all the mess in the US-Russia relationship. That situation led to a longer period of waiting for the appointment and, probably, a longer process.

They keep on closing the US consulates (2 days ago the one in St Petersburg got fully closed)  here and interfere in their work.

Edited by Ariane1

Timeline

Hi Ariane1

Could you please clarify if requesting the interview in Kyiv added a longer wait or the situation in Russia? I'm sure you meant the situation in Russia but just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ariane1 said:

I'm a Russian citizen in Russia, we filed for the interview to be in Ukraine because of all the mess in the US-Russia relationship. That situation led to a longer period of waiting for the appointment and, probably, a longer process.

They keep on closing the US consulates (2 days ago the one in St Petersburg got fully closed)  here and interfere in their work.

They will send the petition to the place of residency not to the place you wrote. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, cptnjay said:

Naes

Sorry, but I didn't find your comments, links, or guides helpful at all, not pertaining to the question at hand. 

I didn’t put any comments, links or guides.

I just replied to the part where how stating an embassy different than residency usually results in. 

If you follow the comment I quoted and then read then what I wrote, what you would see is that NVC will not look at what embassy you wrote but only to the country you reside and send accordingly. 

In further detail, this is something that has been happening quite a lot lately.

so in the end you can ask for a transit after it gets to the embassy (however this has already been commented by another member here so no need for me to write separately.) 

on another note put a “@“ mark before people’s names so they can actually see you’re asking a question directed to them. 

I don’t think @Ariane1 was able to get a notification. 

However as I know she is still waiting for her noa2 she wouldn’t know if this is adding time to the process.

requesting a different embassy won’t add time because they will end up sending to where the person reside (country). Asking for transit will add time as you will have to ask from the embassy in wherever you want the petition to go to request your files from the embassy they have sent to (which is most likely 2-3 weeks).

So again if you read your whole topic as one it was actually saying all these in one line in coordination with the other comments.

Timeline

@Naes , we specify in the form where we're going to take the interview, that's what I mean. And it's allowed to have the place of residency different from the place of the interview.

PS.: I don't know how this @ thing must work, your name doesn't get blue at all! :ph34r:

Edited by Ariane1

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ariane1 said:

@Naes , we specify in the form where we're going to take the interview, that's what I mean. And it's allowed to have the place of residency different from the place of the interview.

I know there’s a place to specify. However it has been ignored by NVC in the past. I’m tagging 

@Kween who also specified another embassy yet the file has been sent to where the fiancés physical address was. Maybe she can enlighten how they are dealing with this. As hey are in the middle of this problem.

Edited by Naes

Timeline
Just now, Ariane1 said:

Thanks for the info, and that's too bad, if it's so... +3-4 months of waiting... Anyway, it's worth a try.

It is worth a try. Just be ready if it doesn’t work. That member I tagged is a recent member from June filers, I’m sure she will give more insight when sees it.

You can ask for a transfer after they send it to Russia though as it was mentioned above too. (Transfer is usually 2-3 weeks)

ps_after the @ there should be a box under the text that shows names to chose from :) start writing and wait for the names to appear ;) or simply quote that sends notifications too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
18 hours ago, payxibka said:

FWIW, I don't understand why people think the current bruhaha between US and Russia will have any effect on visas.  Unless they close the embassy or at a minimum close the IV unit it will have nil effect.  This is not the first time they have had a mutual pissing match

To some extent it may be substantiated - right now every applicant in Warsaw is being asked if they ever been to Russia. May be insignificant but since it's a recurring pattern, I highly doubt it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.