70 posts in this topic

Well I should start by saying that I’m very worried because in my n400 interview the IO was very mean, asked me about my wife who is illegal and told me IM GOING TO CALL THE ICE NOW TO GO GET HER, I was so in panic that my Wife will be arrested, she asked me where she was I said I don’t know and then she called her and told her WHERE ARE YOU ? ARE YOU WORKING? GIVE ME THE ADDRESS YOU ARE NOW, and than she said to me IM CALLING THE ICE TO GO GET HER NOW? YOU ARE HARBORING AN ILLEGAL ALIEN AND THAT IS A CRIME SHE SAID, Imagine my heart was fast and after that she said DO YOU WANT TO CANCEL THE APPLICATION? I said no!! Than she kept asking me the yes and no questions , had me sign 2 times at the little tablet one the part saying I was under oat, and the last one the oat ceremony part,than asked me the civil questions that I did great and before we finished she took my Guatemalan passport and my green card. And said YOU WILL BE RECEIVE A LETTER. And didn’t give me my documents. 

She didn’t give me the note saying my results or anything.  I’m very worried I will appreciate any similar experiences or advices. 

Thanks

Filed: Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nikingas said:

Well I should start by saying that I’m very worried because in my n400 interview the IO was very mean, asked me about my wife who is illegal and told me IM GOING TO CALL THE ICE NOW TO GO GET HER, I was so in panic that my Wife will be arrested, she asked me where she was I said I don’t know and then she called her and told her WHERE ARE YOU ? ARE YOU WORKING? GIVE ME THE ADDRESS YOU ARE NOW, and than she said to me IM CALLING THE ICE TO GO GET HER NOW? YOU ARE HARBORING AN ILLEGAL ALIEN AND THAT IS A CRIME SHE SAID, Imagine my heart was fast and after that she said DO YOU WANT TO CANCEL THE APPLICATION? I said no!! Than she kept asking me the yes and no questions , had me sign 2 times at the little tablet one the part saying I was under oat, and the last one the oat ceremony part,than asked me the civil questions that I did great and before we finished she took my Guatemalan passport and my green card. And said YOU WILL BE RECEIVE A LETTER. And didn’t give me my documents. 

She didn’t give me the note saying my results or anything.  I’m very worried I will appreciate any similar experiences or advices. 

Thanks

What? she didn't give you your passport or green card?

I have a couple of questions.

1. How did you obtain your green card?

2. Why didn't you hire a lawyer or consult with one before going?

At this point you should contact a good lawyer ASAP.  You didn't really give much details about your case. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Oh boy that sounds traumatizing, I literally got scared for you. Ok so take a deep breath and let’s take this sequentially. 

First of all, contact an immigration lawyer. Withholding your passport and green card from you does look like there’s some serious problem here. 

Second of all, I’m sure more experienced people here will offer advise that could help guide your plans moving forward. However here are a few questions that will help start the discussion:

1. How long have you had your green card (work based, via family (sibling or parent) or spouse

2. How long have you been married, and how long has your wife been illegal?

3. Did she go out of status on a visa or what? At the time you got married was she already illegal? If yes, did you consider waiting till you were a citizen before getting married? 

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 N-400 submitted online

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 NOA mailed

{Day 02}   11/18/2017 Biometrics apt scheduled

{Day 20}   12/06/2017 Biometrics done

{Day 202} 06/06/2018 Interview Scheduled

{Day 207} 06/11/2018 Interview Letter received

{Day 238} 07/12/2018 Interview Day - Approved

{Day 242} 07/16/2018 Oath Scheduled

{Day 266} 08/09/2018 Oath Ceremony - I am a US Citizen!

4 minutes ago, praizee said:

What? she didn't give you your passport or green card?

I have a couple of questions.

1. How did you obtain your green card?

2. Why didn't you hire a lawyer or consult with one before going?

At this point you should contact a good lawyer ASAP.  You didn't really give much details about your case. 

She kept both , I got my GC from my mother, I didn’t think I had any problems because I don’t have any convictions or any other problems. Now I have a lawyer who will go with me next week to ask for my things and to make  a statement about how she threated me

3 minutes ago, NikeS said:

Oh boy that sounds traumatizing, I literally got scared for you. Ok so take a deep breath and let’s take this sequentially. 

First of all, contact an immigration lawyer. Withholding your passport and green card from you does look like there’s some serious problem here. 

Second of all, I’m sure more experienced people here will offer advise that could help guide your plans moving forward. However here are a few questions that will help start the discussion:

1. How long have you had your green card (work based, via family (sibling or parent) or spouse

2. How long have you been married, and how long has your wife been illegal?

3. Did she go out of status on a visa or what? At the time you got married was she already illegal? If yes, did you consider waiting till you were a citizen before getting married? 

I got my GC IN 2009

i been married for 2 years

she came illegally about 21 years ago

the immigration officer said I was lying to her and that harboring an illegal alien Was a serious crime. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Nikingas said:

She kept both , I got my GC from my mother, I didn’t think I had any problems because I don’t have any convictions or any other problems. Now I have a lawyer who will go with me next week to ask for my things and to make  a statement about how she threated me

GC from your mom and you have a lawyer already. Can you share the circumstances of your wife being illegal? 

Just now, Nikingas said:

First of all, it's good that you have a lawyer.  But this sounds like it may potentially be very serious for both your wife and you personally depending on how you answered certain questions (e.g. Part 12, Q22) so I think you should go in with the mindset of minimizing the damage and hopefully leaving with your status unaffected - I'd probably advise against making this adversarial if you can as it could potentially escalate the situation vs calm it down.

Timeline
Just now, Nikingas said:

I got my GC IN 2009

i been married for 2 years

she came illegally about 21 years ago

the immigration officer said I was lying to her and that harboring an illegal alien Was a serious crime. 

Wow. Her arriving illegally does make it not so straight forward then. To the officer, your marriage could be a sham marriage in order for your wife to become legal. Wish you had waited to become a citizen before marrying her then it could have been easier. 

Filed: Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nikingas said:

Ok. Good that you got it from your mom. However, i think the issue is you living with an illegal. She's more concerned about that issue. Do you know if you wife has been arrested by immigration in the past before? Im sure immigration knows shes been working here illegally. I think it would have been better to have obtained your citizenship before marrying her. Yes, your lawyer should be able to help you get your documents back. 

1 minute ago, praizee said:

Ok. Good that you got it from your mom. However, i think the issue is you living with an illegal. She's more concerned about that issue. Do you know if you wife has been arrested by immigration in the past before? Im sure immigration knows shes been working here illegally. I think it would have been better to have obtained your citizenship before marrying her. Yes, your lawyer should be able to help you get your documents back. 

She was never arrested and she doesn’t work I feel better now that you said I will get my documents back at this point I don’t care about citizenship just want my life in peace back 

Timeline

It will be easier to bear after a few hrs/days , just hang in there as some mentioned earlier, let the lawyer’s approach be a calm one. Yes it is your citizenship application but other than a background check and criminal records, they look at your life picture as painted by the information you provide. 

Edited by NikeS

1 minute ago, NikeS said:

It will be easier to bear after a few hrs/days , just hang in there as some mentioned earlier, let the lawyer’s approach be a calm one. Yes it is your citizenship application but other than a background check and criminal records, they look at your life picture as painted by the information you provide. 

Thank you I will tell my lawyer to go calm, we have the appointment next Thursday and the interview was last Wednesday   I will be praying to resolve this God is good.  Than everyone for your responses God bless you all. 

33 minutes ago, Nikingas said:

Thank you I will tell my lawyer to go calm, we have the appointment next Thursday and the interview was last Wednesday   I will be praying to resolve this God is good.  Than everyone for your responses God bless you all. 

I pray for you bro.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is her son an American Citizen?

If i were you i would get him to sponsor her now and send her documents in tomorrow. Once her application is in her status is in process sooo that might be okay...

09/12/17          Married my love

01/28/18          AOS Sent

02/01/18          AOS Recieved

02/10/18          NOA1 Text E-mail Notification recieved

02/15/18          NOA1 Hard Copies recieved

02/24/18          Biometrics Letter Received (Scheduled for March 9th)

03/02/18          RFIE Letter Received (I-864 form)

03/09/18          Biometrics Appointment Done!

03/15/18          Sent RFIE Response with Joint Sponsor

03/22/18          RFIE Received by USCIS (Email notification)

07/21/18          New Card is Being Produced (Notification)

08/14/18          Interview was scheduled

08/17/18          Received Notice Interview for 09/19/18

09/11/18          Received Cancellation Notice :( 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.