Ck207

N400 Seattle (merged)

3,836 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, murph32 said:

OK that's good to know - I have about a month til my interview and am going to do my name change tomorrow or Friday.

let us know how the process is like. they say it might take 6-8 weeks for recording

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This morning, my case status changed to indicate I have been scheduled for an interview. I also noticed that the estimated wait time counter was back, now set at 6 months. Weird.

9 minutes ago, Vasto_Lorde said:

This morning, my case status changed to indicate I have been scheduled for an interview. I also noticed that the estimated wait time counter was back, now set at 6 months. Weird.

Congratulations! I must be right behind you. We did biometrics on the same day. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just checked mine. No update. It’s my birthday tomorrow so maybe I will see an update tomorrow? 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
48 minutes ago, JFH said:

Just checked mine. No update. It’s my birthday tomorrow so maybe I will see an update tomorrow? 

Happy birthday in advance and I hope you get some good news on this front very soon,

7 minutes ago, Vasto_Lorde said:

Happy birthday in advance and I hope you get some good news on this front very soon,

Thank you!

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

22 hours ago, thewaitingame said:

let us know how the process is like. they say it might take 6-8 weeks for recording

Does anyone know if there's a risk in doing a name change in parallel with the naturalization?

I'm not an expert, but two thoughts:

1) If that comes up during the background check as part of the naturalization, would it raise a flag?

2) If the recording comes back later than your ceremony, what's going to happen? Will you have to get a passport for the old name and then use the name change to request another copy of the passport with the new name?

Anything else anyone can think of?

I'd also love to not to have to deal with the extra hassle, but at the same time, I'd prefer not to interfere with the process and, as annoying as it is, would prefer to do a name change after being done with the naturalization.

20 minutes ago, Vasto_Lorde said:

The interview notification letter is now available in the portal. My interview falls on March 17.

St Patrick’s day! May the luck of the Irish be with you. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

St Patrick’s day! May the luck of the Irish be with you. 

May the power of Temple Bar be with me.

🙂

13 hours ago, Vasto_Lorde said:

Congratulations! That's sounds like a faster rate!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
10 hours ago, nikgon said:

Does anyone know if there's a risk in doing a name change in parallel with the naturalization?

I'm not an expert, but two thoughts:

1) If that comes up during the background check as part of the naturalization, would it raise a flag?

2) If the recording comes back later than your ceremony, what's going to happen? Will you have to get a passport for the old name and then use the name change to request another copy of the passport with the new name?

Anything else anyone can think of?

I'd also love to not to have to deal with the extra hassle, but at the same time, I'd prefer not to interfere with the process and, as annoying as it is, would prefer to do a name change after being done with the naturalization.

FWIW I got a consult with an immigration attorney through my work yesterday about this and the advice I received is you will get proof of your name change day of that you take with you and that should be sufficient to have the immigration officer issue your card in your new name. I'll be going to the court late next week and doing it then, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by murph32

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.