Irene_sss

2018 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE

764 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2018 at 1:33 PM, Coco8 said:

Hi,

They can apply for the H1B if you are in the US and you are AOS from another visa (e.g. F1) to H1B. They cannot apply if you are abroad and doing consular processing. 

Will you work for a university or some organization that is not capped? 

The salary is based on the company/university and it cannot be lower than it should be. You should never accept a salary that is low because they are trying to take advantage of you!

Yes, I am in USA transitioning from J1 to H1B. I am just chnging the position from Post Doc Scholar to Research Associate in the same university. and my university is cap exempt (non-profit). Can i Still apply?

I think i have to wait until i get the Letter of recommendation from DOS? or from USCIS ? Who sends NOA USCIS or DOS? IS NOA same as I-797?

6 hours ago, Buhr said:

I did. My NOA1 letter took forever to arrive because they sent it to my address in Brazil and the postal service sucks, so I eventually called them to get my case number, they had had my case for like a week. It got approved a few days after I got the case number. They sent the NOA2 to the US address. It took 16 days total from Received to Approved.

Edit: make sure you check the new website because they often won't update the old one. My case still shows as Received on the old system.

Hi @Buhr

My fiance has the same timeline until USCIS process. However, we have been waiting for almost 3 months and we did receive anything from them yet. She applied based on NOS.

Do you have any recommendation on contacting USCIS? I tried the Customer Service number but they just basically cited the status update on the website. Also, did your case appear as "Case Was Received At Another USCIS Office"?

Thank you!

37 minutes ago, mohitindelhi said:

Yes, I am in USA transitioning from J1 to H1B. I am just chnging the position from Post Doc Scholar to Research Associate in the same university. and my university is cap exempt (non-profit). Can i Still apply?

I think i have to wait until i get the Letter of recommendation from DOS? or from USCIS ? Who sends NOA USCIS or DOS? IS NOA same as I-797?

My university applied with the DOS letter with premium processing. They will decide about the waiver and the H1B together so it speeds the process.

Remember that once your final waiver gets in, your J1 is no longer valid so you have 30 days to leave the US or change status. The university will know about this, and it is important for your start date for the H1B.

NOA 1 is sent by UCSIS. It gives you a number to check the status online. I don't know about the 797, that might either be NOA 1 or the waiver itself which arrives after NOA 1. 

About the salary, if you are at a public university, salaries are public so you can check salaries of other postdocs in your lab/institute/etc.  If your duties change, you can ask for a raise. That is up to you, not the visa. 

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
18 hours ago, Duckee said:

Was your J1 visa already expired when you filed the waiver?

Yes

15 hours ago, whereismywaiver said:

Hi @Buhr

My fiance has the same timeline until USCIS process. However, we have been waiting for almost 3 months and we did receive anything from them yet. She applied based on NOS.

Do you have any recommendation on contacting USCIS? I tried the Customer Service number but they just basically cited the status update on the website. Also, did your case appear as "Case Was Received At Another USCIS Office"?

Thank you!

You can ask to speak to a tier 2 but they might not be able to do much. You can also contact your Congressman or file a Service Request with USCIS.

J1 Waiver

• 1/9/2018 - Packet shipped 🚚
  • 1/15/2018 - Packet delivered 📨
  • 1/16/2018 - Check cashed 💸
  • 1/30/2018 - Documents received 📨
  • 1/31/2018 - Requested embassy to send No Objection Statement 📄
  • 2/2/2018 - Embassy sent No Objection Statement to DoS ✉️
  • 2/2/2018 - No Objection Statement received 📨
  • 3/26/2018 - Favorable Recommendation 🎉
  • 4/2/2018 - USCIS Received 📨
  • 4/18/2018 - Approved 🎉

K1 Visa

• 10/5/2017 - Application Received 📨
  • 10/10/2017 - NOA1 📄
  • 3/30/2018 - NOA2 🎉
  • 4/25/2018 - NVC received 📨
  • 4/26/2018 - Case number assigned, CEAC In Transit 🚚
  • 5/3/2018 - CEAC Ready
  • 6/18/2018 - Medical 💉
  • 6/19/2018 - Interview - Approved! 🎉
  • 6/20/2018 - CEAC Application Received 📨
  • 6/21/2018 - CEAC Administrative processing 💤
  • 6/21/2018 - CEAC Issued ✉️
  • 7/2/2018 - Visa in hands 🛂
  • 7/6/2018 - POE 🛬
  • 8/18/2018 - Married! 🎊

AOS

• 9/7/2018 - Packet shipped 🚚
  • 9/11/2018 - NOA1 📄
  • 9/12/2018 - Check cashed 💸
  • 9/14/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Notice 📄
  • 9/17/2018 - NOA1 Hard copy 📄
  • 9/21/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Hard copy 📄
  • [Somewhere in between] RFE
  • 10/5/2018 - Biometrics Appt/Fingerprint review was complete 🛂
  • 11/20/2018 - RFE response 📤
  • 12/26/2018 - Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 1/10/2018 - Interview Was Scheduled 📅
  • 2/4/2019 - EAD+AP approved 🎉
  • 2/9/2019 - EAD+AP combo card in the mail ✉️
  • 2/21/2019 - Interview
  • 2/21/2019 - Interview was completed and case must be reviewed 
  • 3/12/2019 - New card is being produced
  • 3/18/2019 - Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service

Removal of Conditions

• 3/24/2021 - Filed
  • 4/21/2021 - NOA1
  • 6/28/2021 - Biometrics
  • 9/29/2022 - Request for additional evidence
  • 10/18/2022 - RFE response sent
  • 10/26/2022 - RFE response received
  • 11/22/2022 - New card is being produced
  • 11/23/2022 - Case was approved
  • 11/25/2022 - Card Was Mailed To Me (Updated 11/28/2022)
  • 11/28/2022 - Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service
  • 11/30/2022 - Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have one question. I got my recommendation letter from DoS on May 31st. I saw in the instructions from form I-485 that it is possible to file without the final approval notice from USCIS but only with the recommendation letter. In the forum, I also saw that it is not recommended to do so but no explanation. I'm a bit worried because the end of fiscal year is approaching and I would like to submit before.

Has anyone experience with this?

On 6/23/2018 at 7:18 PM, Coco8 said:

Well, they need it for the H1B and you are paying for the H1B to be decided in less than 10 to 15 days. They mailed the waiver the same day the H1B was filed so I'm not entirely sure it was because of the H1B, but it got decided fast either way.

Did you call UCSIS? Did you check online with the number from the NOA1?

Hi Coco8,

So I'm filing for an L1-B with premium processing after the waiver and the company attorneys keep telling me I need to wait until the waiver is resolved before applying for L1. If I applied for the L1-B with premium processing does that mean both things, waiver and visa, will be resolved at the same time? I still haven't even received my I-797 from USCIS and it's been a month since they got the letter of recommendation from DoS. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Just now, Duckee said:

Hopefully I will get it within the first week of July... been waiting for 3months

This is really very long! I'm so sorry! I hope it will come soon.

Was it a special or complicated case?

1 hour ago, Gonzala said:

This is really very long! I'm so sorry! I hope it will come soon.

Was it a special or complicated case?

I have spouse petition, I do not know why it is too long. I guess mine is just one of those case that takes so long

38 minutes ago, whereismywaiver said:

Hi @Duckee, I have the same timeline and still waiting. I contacted them via email but they said the case was delayed due to security checks in progress. Please update if you receive any good news!

I will update you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.