Irene_sss

2018 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE

764 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Conrad2019 said:

Health department state sent recommendation to DOS on December 12th, rest of the documents were received on October 31st.

my waiver is Conrad 30, primary care, not requiring NOC from local embassy.

when can I expect the DOS to make a decision? 

Are the holidays posing any delays delays for anyone? 

Hello Conrad2019,

I was checking for USCIS operational status during government shutdown and am aware from various sources that Conrad 30 Waiver Program is affected with current shutdown. Please check if your application falls under this topic:

See below with USCIS link and research on google for similar news updates on current status:

• Conrad 30 Waiver Program for J-1 medical doctors. This program allows J-1 doctors to apply for a waiver of the two-year residence requirement after completing the J-1 exchange visitor program. The expiration only affects the date by which the J-1 doctor must have entered the U.S.; it is not a shutdown of the Conrad 30 program entirely.

Reference: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/lapse-federal-funding-does-not-impact-most-uscis-operations

I hope this information will be helpful.

Hi,

Has anyone seen updates on they waiver application since the shutdown started? I applied for the waiver based on no objection, with the timeline below.

My timing seems to be within the estimates, but I wanted to know if anyone has seen any activity on their process recently (documents received, recommendations sent, etc.)

Is anyone out there with a similar timeline?

Capture.JPG

Thank you all!

Edited by GIP

1 hour ago, jugowar said:

anyone has an idea whether NOS type of J1 waiver is affected by the shutdown?

Hi jugowar,

According to the Department of State contingency plan presented in January 2018:

"C. Consular Operations Domestically and Abroad: Consular operations domestically and abroad will remain 100% operational as long as there are sufficient fees to support operations. However, if a passport agency is located in a government building affected by a lapse in appropriations, the facility may become unsupported. The continuance of consular operations in such instances will be treated on a case-by-case basis by the Office of the Under Secretary for Management." (here: https://www.state.gov/m/2018/277533.htm)

The Waiver Review Division is part of the "CA/VO/DO/W", meaning: Consular Affairs, Visa Operations, Domestic Operations, Waivers. So I would assume the operations remain at 100% levels. I've emailed the Waiver Review Division to see if their operations are being affected. I'll post the response here one I get it.

2 hours ago, jugowar said:

anyone has an idea whether NOS type of J1 waiver is affected by the shutdown?

Also, found a more recent Department of State contingency plan here: https://www.state.gov/m/2018/287909.htm

At the end of the plan it shows the following:

Status of Accounts

• Subject to lapse in appropriation:
    • Diplomatic and Consular Programs
    • Office of the Inspector General
    • International Boundary and Water Commission Salary and Expenses
    • American Sections
  • Not subject to lapse in appropriation:
    • Worldwide Security Protection (Covers all DS and 90+ security positions in other bureaus)
    • Consular and Border Security Program (Covers all of CA and other consular support personnel)
    • International Cooperative Administrative Support Services:
    • Working Capital Fund:
    • Embassy, Security, Construction, and Maintenance (Covers all of OBO)
    • Educational and Cultural Exchange Programs
    • American Institute in Taiwan
    • Global Health
    • International Narcotics and Law Enforcement
    • Migration and Refugee Assistance

I assume the waiver review division falls under the "Educational and Cultural Exchange Programs". Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, GIP said:

Hi,

Has anyone seen updates on they waiver application since the shutdown started? I applied for the waiver based on no objection, with the timeline below.

My timing seems to be within the estimates, but I wanted to know if anyone has seen any activity on their process recently (documents received, recommendations sent, etc.)

Capture.JPG

Thank you all!

hi

I have a question. what is your waiver type: 

subspecialty waiver, primary care, research etc? this might effect the time frame. 

4 hours ago, Conrad2019 said:

hi

I have a question. what is your waiver type: 

subspecialty waiver, primary care, research etc? this might effect the time frame. 

Hi Conrad2019, my waiver is based on "No Objection" from my home country.

14 hours ago, GIP said:

Hi,

Capture.JPG

Thank you all!

Hi GIP,

I am waiting for my NOS decision since October 2. I emailed them on December 12, but never got any reply. I don't know whether it is related to holidays or government shutdown. Hoping for the best. 

209071087_ScreenShot2019-01-07at11_10_41AM.thumb.png.4b3163eda55abbee98a593305770b69e.png

2 hours ago, GIP said:
27 minutes ago, jen283 said:

Hi GIP,

I am waiting for my NOS decision since October 2. I emailed them on December 12, but never got any reply. I don't know whether it is related to holidays or government shutdown. Hoping for the best. 

209071087_ScreenShot2019-01-07at11_10_41AM.thumb.png.4b3163eda55abbee98a593305770b69e.png

Hi Conrad2019, my waiver is based on "No Objection" from my home country.

Guys,

are you for research or hospitalist/ subspecialty? because that can make a difference to time line.

14 minutes ago, Conrad2019 said:

Guys,

are you for research or hospitalist/ subspecialty? because that can make a difference to time line.

Hi Conrad2019, my "No Objection" basis has no subspecialty associated with it. I was a visiting researcher. (I am not applying through the Conrad 30 program)

4 minutes ago, GIP said:

Hi Conrad2019, my "No Objection" basis has no subspecialty associated with it. I was a visiting researcher. (I am not applying through the Conrad 30 program)

hey thanks. 

so basically DOS website states the approx time frame for respective categories. 

research takes 3-4 months as per the website.

hospitalist/primary care takes 4-6 weeks without NOS, and 4-8 weeks with NOS.

retrospectively, subspecialties (cardiology, GI etc) takes longer in my observation. thats why i asked about the details of the waiver.

8 minutes ago, Conrad2019 said:

hey thanks. 

so basically DOS website states the approx time frame for respective categories. 

research takes 3-4 months as per the website.

hospitalist/primary care takes 4-6 weeks without NOS, and 4-8 weeks with NOS.

retrospectively, subspecialties (cardiology, GI etc) takes longer in my observation. thats why i asked about the details of the waiver.

Hi Conrad2019, thank you!

The processing times I am able to see online are only "per type of waiver" (here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html)

No Objection Statement

6 to 8 weeks

Interested U.S. Federal Government Agency

4 to 8 weeks

Persecution

3 to 4 months

Exceptional Hardship

3 to 4 months

State Public Health Department (Conrad State 30 Program)

4 to 6 weeks

Advisory Opinion

4 to 6 weeks

Where are you seeing the processing time on these other categories you mention? (Research, etc).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.