1,157 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Bhumi said:

Congrats guys. 

Finally today I send my i485 packet to Chicago Lockbox through USPS. I think they will receive at Wednesday. 

I hope everything will be right. 

Cheers!!! Hope it gets on time, and even before that, if possible.

Everything will be alright :)

Dec 19, 2016: F2A I-130 Priority Date

AOS with pending I-130 (F2A):

March 2, 2018: AOS Package PD (I-485, EAD, AP)

March 14, 2018: NOA1  / E-Notification // Physical Mail: March 20, 2018

March 17, 2018: Biometric Appt Notice received //  Appointment: April 6th

March 29 RFIE // April 11 USCIS received RFIE response

May 10, 2018: I-130 Approved  :D *But case sent to NVC*

July 11: INFOPASS Appt + Sent Additional Documents

July 20: Case Ready for Interview (Finally!)

August 14: Card being produced //  August 22: Combo Card in hand

On 3/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, Bhumi said:

Congrats guys. 

Finally today I send my i485 packet to Chicago Lockbox through USPS. I think they will receive at Wednesday. 

I hope everything will be right. 

Good luck!

It would take around 2 weeks to receive an email and text notification(if you also filed G-1145). In the meantime, relax.

Hey there! 

I'm on the same boat with you all. I'm on student visa, that will expire on December 2018. We filed in I-130 last summer and our PD is 07/27/2017. As far as I studied all information on USCIA website I think all of us are right and we can file I-485 concurrently. Moreover, we asked 2 lawyers and one of them replied that we do can apply concurrently, but I have to keep my F1 status until the date in the 1 chart becomes current. It confused me a bit, but I think she meant that it's better for me to keep student status until actual green card will be issued. I might be wrong though. We are still waiting for the answer from the second one. Hopefully, he clarifies the information better.. Anyway, we're planing to start working on paperwork*) And my question is how long did it take you to finish physical exam and get vaccination? 

16 hours ago, Clotillda said:

Hey there! 

I'm on the same boat with you all. I'm on student visa, that will expire on December 2018. We filed in I-130 last summer and our PD is 07/27/2017. As far as I studied all information on USCIA website I think all of us are right and we can file I-485 concurrently. Moreover, we asked 2 lawyers and one of them replied that we do can apply concurrently, but I have to keep my F1 status until the date in the 1 chart becomes current. It confused me a bit, but I think she meant that it's better for me to keep student status until actual green card will be issued. I might be wrong though. We are still waiting for the answer from the second one. Hopefully, he clarifies the information better.. Anyway, we're planing to start working on paperwork*) And my question is how long did it take you to finish physical exam and get vaccination? 

Hi Clotilda, welcome!!!

It is always adviced to keep a separate legal status independent from your AOS, it is just a way to cover your bases, because even if your F1 status runs out, you are authorized to stay in the U.S. because you are an pending AOS appplicant. If it is too much trouble or economically challenging to maintain the F1 status, you have to evaluate whether to continue or not.

About the medical, from this group I have only heard of @QAF2A filing it, and was because the insurance covered it. In my opinion, for your case Clotillda, I would not recommend it, because it COULD take a year for your PD to get to Chart A, and that would mean you would have to do a second medical before they are able to grant you Permanent Residency, because the medical expires after 1 year. I would only file it together if it is something your insurance covers, and comes to you with no cost, because the medical does not have to be sent with the AOS package, you can send it later, or you can bring it to the interview.

Any question, don't hesitate to ask.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Hi guys, I got text and email notifications for my AOS package early this morning.:D:P So happy. Here's my full timeline:

I-130 PETITION SCHEDULE 2017
4/20 I-130 MAILED VIA USPS
4/22 PACKAGE DELIVERED 10:47 A.M.
4/26 MONEY ORDER CLEARED
5/1 TEXT MESSAGE AND EMAIL RECEIPT FOR PACKAGE (NOA1 DATE : 4/24/2017)
5/5 NOA1 HARDCOPY CAME IN MAIL
12/14 request to change address
12/15 address changed

AOS PACKAGE SCHEDULE 2018
3/14 I485,I765,I864 MAILED VIA USPS
3/21 PACKAGE DELIVERED 6:52 A.M.
3/29 CASHIER'S CHECK CASHED
4/2 TEXT MESSAGE AND EMAILS WITH CASE NUMBERS FOR I485 & 1765 12:52 A.M.

REMAINDER OF THE WEEK: CHECKING AND DOUBLING CHECKING MAIL :ph34r::ph34r: LOL 

@Tenreyro Do you also have two different dates for NOA ? Example my first package NOA1 Date shows 4/24 on the check uscis status page but when i got the uscis/dhs account it shows 4/26...

5 minutes ago, Bfree3 said:

Hi guys, I got text and email notifications for my AOS package early this morning.:D:P So happy. Here's my full timeline:

I-130 PETITION SCHEDULE 2017
4/20 I-130 MAILED VIA USPS
4/22 PACKAGE DELIVERED 10:47 A.M.
4/26 MONEY ORDER CLEARED
5/1 TEXT MESSAGE AND EMAIL RECEIPT FOR PACKAGE (NOA1 DATE : 4/24/2017)
5/5 NOA1 HARDCOPY CAME IN MAIL
12/14 request to change address
12/15 address changed

AOS PACKAGE SCHEDULE 2018
3/14 I485,I765,I864 MAILED VIA USPS
3/21 PACKAGE DELIVERED 6:52 A.M.
3/29 CASHIER'S CHECK CASHED
4/2 TEXT MESSAGE AND EMAILS WITH CASE NUMBERS FOR I485 & 1765 12:52 A.M.

REMAINDER OF THE WEEK: CHECKING AND DOUBLING CHECKING MAIL :ph34r::ph34r: LOL 

@Tenreyro Do you also have two different dates for NOA ? Example my first package NOA1 Date shows 4/24 on the check uscis status page but when i got the uscis/dhs account it shows 4/26...

Wooohoo!!! Congrats!!! You should receive the paper NOA within 7 days.

About your question, that's a good one. Maybe the USCIS/DHS says the last date the NOA file was created in their system rather than the PD. (For example my I-130 says Dec 20, but my PD is Dec 19).

Everything will go well!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

@Tenreyro  Just being "overly analytical" lololol :blink: lol don't mind me.. Hope your biometric appt goes well. Let us know about your experience afterwards.Have a great week! Talk soon.

Edited by Bfree3

54 minutes ago, Bfree3 said:

@Tenreyro  Just being "overly analytical" lololol :blink: lol don't mind me.. Hope your biometric appt goes well. Let us know about your experience afterwards.Have a great week! Talk soon.

I get it, being extra analytical is very useful when dealing with USCIS or any other bureaucracy filled institution. You should get your Bio Appt letter around 3 days after the NOA1, and I estimate your Appointment would be set for the week of April 23-27th, hopefully.

Thanks! My Biometrics Appointment is this Friday, where I live we have a rain forecast for this Friday, but that won't stop the Biometrics party :dance: I'll share my experience after I do it.

@QAF2A also has an appointment coming up, Good Luck!

Hi guys, I kind of left the translation for my birth certificate out of the AOS package, and I have received today a Request for Initial Evidence :P

I have someone that will translate it, to get and send it as fast as possible. So, if anyone forgot their translation, or is planning on sending, keep it in mind.

Have a good week everyone :)

1 hour ago, Tenreyro said:

Hi guys, I kind of left the translation for my birth certificate out of the AOS package, and I have received today a Request for Initial Evidence :P

I have someone that will translate it, to get and send it as fast as possible. So, if anyone forgot their translation, or is planning on sending, keep it in mind.

Have a good week everyone :)

Hi @Tenreyro, Sorry to see the RFIE. I'm sure you will respond timely and everything will resume!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

Hi guys. 

My spouse has a B1/B2 visa and is currently not in USA. We have applied for an i130 under F2A with PD 06/23/2017. 

Do you think we could do an AOS and file an EAD? She could reside fly into the USA when needed. 

What do you guys think?

On 3/30/2018 at 8:19 AM, Tenreyro said:

Hi Clotilda, welcome!!!

It is always adviced to keep a separate legal status independent from your AOS, it is just a way to cover your bases, because even if your F1 status runs out, you are authorized to stay in the U.S. because you are an pending AOS appplicant. If it is too much trouble or economically challenging to maintain the F1 status, you have to evaluate whether to continue or not.

About the medical, from this group I have only heard of @QAF2A filing it, and was because the insurance covered it. In my opinion, for your case Clotillda, I would not recommend it, because it COULD take a year for your PD to get to Chart A, and that would mean you would have to do a second medical before they are able to grant you Permanent Residency, because the medical expires after 1 year. I would only file it together if it is something your insurance covers, and comes to you with no cost, because the medical does not have to be sent with the AOS package, you can send it later, or you can bring it to the interview.

Any question, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you a lot for your answer!

I do have insurance, but after what you are saying I'm not sure if I should do it now lol

So, I just wanted to ask how did you prepare your paper work? Were it just I-485 and I-864? Did you put the copy of NOA1 on the top of other forms?

And one more stupid question lol Where should I translate my Birth Certificate? Are  there any specific companies who do it?

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Clotillda said:

Thank you a lot for your answer!

I do have insurance, but after what you are saying I'm not sure if I should do it now lol

So, I just wanted to ask how did you prepare your paper work? Were it just I-485 and I-864? Did you put the copy of NOA1 on the top of other forms?

And one more stupid question lol Where should I translate my Birth Certificate? Are  there any specific companies who do it?

Thank you!

@Clotilda, I would say the Medical is a case-by-case situation, if you are sure the insurance will cover the expenses, it does not hurt to get it done, that way you can save the vaccination reports for the next one.

Yes, you have to put a copy of the NOA1 from your I-130, but I-485 (AOS) and I-864 (Affidavit) have a lot of paperwork that have to be attached. For the Affidavit you need proof of income from the person signing the affidavit, and copies of the tax filed in previous years. Read carefully the instructions, and remember that any document in a foreign language needs to be translated to English. 

You should also consider filing I-765 to get an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which can be filed for free if you file it together with the AOS or if you send it after. A user from this forum gave me the suggestion to attach a letter in the I-765 explaining it was filed with a I-485, because apparently at some point they separate the forms you send, and some people apparently have received a Request for Evidence (RFE) due to lack of payment of that form.

Depending on your situation, you might want to file I-131, which is for Advance Parole (AP), which, if approved, would allow you to travel, because after filing, if you travel without AP, your form will be considered as 'abandoned'. It is recommended to be used for emergency travel, as AP does not guarantee that you will be able to be granted parole back in the US.

And, of course, the E-Notification forms fill them and sign them, that way, you will get the information in your email as soon as they are filed. Those are the G-1145.

For the evidence to submit, read carefully the instructions of each form. Here I give you an idea of my Cover Letter, which explains what my AOS package included: 

17 hours ago, Clotillda said:

There are no stupid questions :) Stupid silences there are, like when someone has a question, and prefers to remain silent rather than asking things.

I was going to translate it with someone that is family of a few friends, and that person has a side gig with translations and providing help for form filing. But talking with that person, I did not feel confident that she would do a thorough and accurate job. So, I looked around a little bit, and I already did it with a website called Rev.com. The translation looks very complete, and use equivalent legal terms in English, it costs $33 per page, and translated my Birth Certificate (1 page) in 47 minutes. They did a very good job in my case, I asked them to modify something because I feel there is a comma missing in a sentence for it to make proper sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.