1,157 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, Bhumi said:

Did u guys send vaccination report Along with i485 ? 

Because I feel that it's valid for only one year. 

Hi all,

I just did the medical exam because it is covered under my insurance. I am assuming we might get interview when our I-485 is approved hopefully around end of this year till beginning of next year(When chart A moves to our dates.) Then I might have to do medical exam again. But it still did the exams just so it is done..

I'll also put done my timeline:

filed I-130- Feb 01 2017

filed I-485 with I-765 and I-131 Mar 02 2018

receipt to I-485 Mar 17 2018

75th day of I-765 May 14 2018(A future day when I will make my inquiry!)

2 hours ago, talad said:

Thank you @Bfree3 and @Tenreyro for your replies. I'm currently filling out the forms, and am hoping to mail them by Friday after rechecking millions of times.

I do have a few more questions:

• I read on some other forum that someone tried filing their I-485 before their I-130 same as us, and they were denied during interview because of early filing. What do you guys think of this?
  • When you guys filed your I-131 for Advanced Parole, did you indicate a specific date of intended departure? We wanted to file for Advanced Parole without a specific date of travel in mind. We just wanted to be able to freely travel outside the US when the need/want arises. 
  • In the instructions for I-130 (attached picture), it is indicated that someone with a pending application to adjust status, may apply if 'urgent humanitarian reasons', or in furtherance of 'significant public benefit', which may include a personal or family emergency or bona fide business reasons. Does this mean that applying for Advanced Parole when you have a pending I-485 to travel outside of the US for vacation is not allowed?

Thank you so much in advanced for you time and replies :D

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 4.27.16 PM.png

Hi,

I fully agree with @Tenreyro's answers to the questions regarding specific questions to the forms.

And regarding to your question asking about filing with an attorney. Me and my husband did our filing of all forms by ourselves. We have some experienced with a few immigration attorneys before regarding other issues and we did not have a good experience(Longer wait time than agreed, mistakes on forms resulting in forms returned, typos on forms, lack of communication...). I am sure there are lots of experienced professional lawyers out there but we did not get them. So this time we really just want to be responsible for our own case and to take control.

If you do use an attorney, I highly suggest do double check the forms to make sure the information they filled is correct. It is your information and you should have the right to do a final check before they file.

Also as @Tenreyro pointed out, there are intensive work involved preparing the forms and more stress because you would want to check your email 20 times a day. You would save lots of money in the end. (We asked around and the fees are between 800-3000 usd for i-485 filing with law offices). I am thankful that we found this group and we can discuss our situations and work out tactics to deal with the challenges. As there are still many hurdles to jump down the road.

Good luck everyone!

@Tenreyro - Thank you for starting this topic. Feels good to be in company of others in same situation.

Will update you all as soon as we take some action on my husbands application. Have not decided yet if we will wait for the approval of the I-131.

My husband did his medical so we can include it when we apply. It is valid for one year and we sincerely hope that this will be completed within a year...

My husband and myself are from Sweden. Where are you all from?

Thank you all.

10 hours ago, QAF2A said:

Hi,

I fully agree with @Tenreyro's answers to the questions regarding specific questions to the forms.

And regarding to your question asking about filing with an attorney. Me and my husband did our filing of all forms by ourselves. We have some experienced with a few immigration attorneys before regarding other issues and we did not have a good experience(Longer wait time than agreed, mistakes on forms resulting in forms returned, typos on forms, lack of communication...). I am sure there are lots of experienced professional lawyers out there but we did not get them. So this time we really just want to be responsible for our own case and to take control.

If you do use an attorney, I highly suggest do double check the forms to make sure the information they filled is correct. It is your information and you should have the right to do a final check before they file.

Also as @Tenreyro pointed out, there are intensive work involved preparing the forms and more stress because you would want to check your email 20 times a day. You would save lots of money in the end. (We asked around and the fees are between 800-3000 usd for i-485 filing with law offices). I am thankful that we found this group and we can discuss our situations and work out tactics to deal with the challenges. As there are still many hurdles to jump down the road.

Good luck everyone!

My wife and I are not using an attorney either, for our I-130 we used a preparer, but it was not a good experience, and I am hoping we don't get a RFE because of things that she filled out. She filled it with my wife, I actually wasn't able to check the information written on the forms. My wife says she would have filled it herself if she knew it was that easy, but we realized that already too late.

@talad, there is a website where you can consult with lawyers online, for a fee, of course. I saw there a service of Application review, they do not fill the information, but they review your application and give you feedback if everything is okay, or things to improve, I have not used it so I do not know how it works, if they check it once or more, but it is an option you can explore, the fees for that specific service seem to start at 149 dollars, here's the link: https://www.avvo.com/immigration/legal-services/application-review--family-green-card

@BenSherry, you should soon hear something from USCIS, if your lawyer sent it, it is most likely he gets the notification instead of you, but if you signed up for E-notifications, you would receive the emails and texts soon, if you haven't already.

Dec 19, 2016: F2A I-130 Priority Date

AOS with pending I-130 (F2A):

March 2, 2018: AOS Package PD (I-485, EAD, AP)

March 14, 2018: NOA1  / E-Notification // Physical Mail: March 20, 2018

March 17, 2018: Biometric Appt Notice received //  Appointment: April 6th

March 29 RFIE // April 11 USCIS received RFIE response

May 10, 2018: I-130 Approved  :D *But case sent to NVC*

July 11: INFOPASS Appt + Sent Additional Documents

July 20: Case Ready for Interview (Finally!)

August 14: Card being produced //  August 22: Combo Card in hand

11 hours ago, QAF2A said:

Hi all,

I just did the medical exam because it is covered under my insurance. I am assuming we might get interview when our I-485 is approved hopefully around end of this year till beginning of next year(When chart A moves to our dates.) Then I might have to do medical exam again. But it still did the exams just so it is done..

I'll also put done my timeline:

filed I-130- Feb 01 2017

filed I-485 with I-765 and I-131 Mar 02 2018

receipt to I-485 Mar 17 2018

75th day of I-765 May 14 2018(A future day when I will make my inquiry!)

I too have my 75th day on May written on my calendar, to keep an eye and send an Inquiry if by then we still have no EAD. That's very good your insurance covered the medical exam (form I-693) I guess you have to keep it in a sealed envelope until your interview then, or until you send it to USCIS. I didn't do the medical, I'll wait until we're closer to the interview date to get it done, with the filing fees for the I-485 it has been enough expenses for now.

I have just check the mail (physical mail) and there they were, 3 USCIS's Notice of Action Letters, each with the same Receipt No. as the emails.

I also noticed that in the information supplied, USCIS has assigned me an A-number. Which always asks on the forms, but I didn't have, or I didn't know I had. Also, the I-485 was apparently linked correctly to my I-130, since it shows my PD date as Dec 19th, 2016. And correctly places me under F2A.

Now my waiting begins. Good luck to all!!!

Congrats and Thanks @Tenreyro and @QAF2A ! Inspire me to fill forms and prepare the application by my own. 

I am preparing my AOS packaging now and going to file at Wednesday.

Have a couple of questions, @QAF2A you mentioned the the I130 receipt number should be on the top right corner of "every" supporting document. Does "every" include the I131 and I765? Why we need that?

What tools you use for assembly all the files? I read from http://www.visajourney.com/content/assembly, say Chicago lockbox should use paperclips instead of fasten. I guess only binders and paperclips are acceptable?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

I'm  so disheartened and a little depressed at the moment. I mailed my AOS package last week wednesday. It was supposed to be delivered on Saturday.. Its about to be Wednesday again... I received several text messages saying "in transit - delayed" then after having a meltdown today, I got a text message saying it would be delivered tomorrow. Okay felt a little better now I got ANOTHER two text messages saying the package is available for pickup. This is such a grueling process. I have never had any issues with the post office  and now I hate them.:( 

11 hours ago, Bfree3 said:

I'm  so disheartened and a little depressed at the moment. I mailed my AOS package last week wednesday. It was supposed to be delivered on Saturday.. Its about to be Wednesday again... I received several text messages saying "in transit - delayed" then after having a meltdown today, I got a text message saying it would be delivered tomorrow. Okay felt a little better now I got ANOTHER two text messages saying the package is available for pickup. This is such a grueling process. I have never had any issues with the post office  and now I hate them.:( 

You can get in touch with USPS, with all the delivery information correct that the package is not for pickup, but to be delivered to a PO Box. But I think it must be already in Chicago. I have had goog experiences with USPS, I don't know where you are sending from, but there has been several snowstorms and related delays, let's hope you get an answer soon that it was delivered. 

Edited by Tenreyro

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Tenreyro said:

You can get in touch with USPS, with all the delivery information correct that the package is not for pickup, but to be delivered to a PO Box. But I think it must be already in Chicago. I have had goog experiences with USPS, I don't know where you are sending from, but there has been several snowstorms and related delays, let's hope you get an answer soon that it was delivered. 

Just got a text that it’s been delivered as of this morning 🙄😬 patiently waiting now for response. 

1 hour ago, Bfree3 said:

Just got a text that it’s been delivered as of this morning 🙄😬 patiently waiting now for response. 

Congrats!!!! Now it is time to breathe. It might take between 10 to 12 days until you hear something from them, be patient, and don't go crazy if April starts and you haven't heard anything.

By telling you, I am also telling myself to be patient xD. As someone in this forum has said, it is a waiting game.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tenreyro said:

Congrats!!!! Now it is time to breathe. It might take between 10 to 12 days until you hear something from them, be patient, and don't go crazy if April starts and you haven't heard anything.

By telling you, I am also telling myself to be patient xD. As someone in this forum has said, it is a waiting game.

yes, the shipping got me flustered trust me but i'm looking for things to keep me occupied and just ultimately trying to stay positive throughout this journey. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll update once i hear anything. 

After check document several times, sent the package today. Hopefully it will arrive before Saturday.

BTW do we have to maintain the current visa after receive the I797-C (NOA1) from AOS? Now my wife is holding F-1 visa in order to legally stay in U.S. Does it affect  interview or greencard if she stop schooling after she receive I797-C  (NOA1)?

47 minutes ago, markx said:

After check document several times, sent the package today. Hopefully it will arrive before Saturday.

BTW do we have to maintain the current visa after receive the I797-C (NOA1) from AOS? Now my wife is holding F-1 visa in order to legally stay in U.S. Does it affect  interview or greencard if she stop schooling after she receive I797-C  (NOA1)?

Good luck! 

I'm wondering about the same thing. After we receive I-485 notice, does it mean that it is pending, and we don't need to maintain our status anymore?

Timeline
55 minutes ago, markx said:

6 minutes ago, QAF2A said:

Good luck! 

I'm wondering about the same thing. After we receive I-485 notice, does it mean that it is pending, and we don't need to maintain our status anymore?

Only going off forums I've read previously, your status would be listed as "an intending immigrant" so yes pending but safe to overstay. I don't think you have to maintain the other visa if you don't want to (which would apply to other visas, in certain cases you don't have the luxury of maintaining your status - in the case of my tourist visa, depending how long this process takes, I'm sure i'll end up overstaying anyway but the paperwork is already in). Just my opinion. I didn't file for the AP because i have no intention of leaving or taking any trips any time soon and even with the ap, border patrol can still deny you access. 

Edited by Bfree3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.