InLoveWithS

CR1 interview experience in Mumbai

9 posts in this topic

I was reading the forum posts before my CR1 interview that helped me greatly. So in return here is my own experience.

My visa interview was on 7th March, 2017 in US consulate, Mumbai at 7:15am. I reached there @6:20am. They asked all the interviewees to wait on the road opposite the consulate and allowed us to enter the consulate after 7am. They first called the immigrant interviewees to make a queue and asked us to keep the passport and interview letter ready. Plastic bags, transparent bags or folders were allowed to take inside the consulate. They checked my passport and interview letter. Then I entered inside. Then we all went through a security check process. After that they asked us to keep the documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, sealed medical certificate, PCC, DS260 confirmation page, interview letter, passport, 2 photographs and copies of all these things) ready and stand in a queue to collect a token number from counter 1. Make sure all your documents are in English. If not then get the English translation of it with an affidavit. After collecting the token they asked us to wait again and started calling everyone sequentially as per the token number. After waiting for around 20 mins my number came. I was interviewed by an Indian officer. He was nice and polite. Between us there was a glass separator and I had to slide my documents through a thin slot. His work was basically to check the documents. At first he asked me to give all my documents to him along with the copies. He checked the original documents and kept the copies. Then he asked me some questions like my maiden name, my father's name, my mother's name, my mother's maiden name, whether it is the first marriage for both of us. As my husband was married earlier he asked me to  give the divorce papers, both the original and a copy of it. Then he asked me to wait for few seconds and brought my file. Then again he asked few questions like when my husband went to US, have I ever been outside the country, when I last met my husband. Then he gave me a brochure about domestic violence and consequences for it and asked me to go through it. This interview took about 4-5mins. After that he told me that all my documents were in place and asked me to wait again in the waiting area for the next interview. I started waiting in the waiting area. This time it took longer to call me again as they were calling randomly. I was called after a wait of about 40 mins. This time I got interviewed by an American officer. At first he greeted me good morning and started asking questions like what is my husband's name, what is his birthdate, what is his highest educational qualification, where we met, how we met, how the marriage happened between us, were any of us married before. As my husband was married before he asked me a few questions related to his previous marriage like when he got divorced, when they got married, why they got divorced, why he got married to me within 3 months of his divorce, where his ex wife was from, where they met with each other,where she lives now etc. Then he also asked other questions like if I had ever been abroad with my husband, where my husband works, where he lives, what is my birthdate, if I have any photos of the abroad trips with me. I answered everything and showed him the album of sample pictures that I brought with me. I gave him the album with the pages for the abroad trips photos opened. He took the album and saw almost all the pictures. There were about 50 photos. Then he told “Mam YOUR VISA IS APPROVED”. That made my day! I had a sigh of relief. I thanked him and wished him a good day. He wished the same to me and asked to pay the immigration fees in between getting the VISA and travelling to US, kept my passport and told me that the Visa will be sent to Kolkata Visa consulate within 3-5 working days. I left the counter with a big smile on my face. Then almost ran outside the venue so that i can call my husband let him know that I got the Visa.

Edited by InLoveWithS
Removed bold font

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, InLoveWithS said:

I was reading the forum posts before my CR1 interview that helped me greatly. So in return here is my own experience.

My visa interview was on 7th March, 2017 in US consulate, Mumbai at 7:15am. I reached there @6:20am. They asked all the interviewees to wait on the road opposite the consulate and allowed us to enter the consulate after 7am. They first called the immigrant interviewees to make a queue and asked us to keep the passport and interview letter ready. Plastic bags, transparent bags or folders were allowed to take inside the consulate. They checked my passport and interview letter. Then I entered inside. Then we all went through a security check process. After that they asked us to keep the documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, sealed medical certificate, PCC, DS260 confirmation page, interview letter, passport, 2 photographs and copies of all these things) ready and stand in a queue to collect a token number from counter 1. Make sure all your documents are in English. If not then get the English translation of it with an affidavit. After collecting the token they asked us to wait again and started calling everyone sequentially as per the token number. After waiting for around 20 mins my number came. I was interviewed by an Indian officer. He was nice and polite. Between us there was a glass separator and I had to slide my documents through a thin slot. His work was basically to check the documents. At first he asked me to give all my documents to him along with the copies. He checked the original documents and kept the copies. Then he asked me some questions like my maiden name, my father's name, my mother's name, my mother's maiden name, whether it is the first marriage for both of us. As my husband was married earlier he asked me to  give the divorce papers, both the original and a copy of it. Then he asked me to wait for few seconds and brought my file. Then again he asked few questions like when my husband went to US, have I ever been outside the country, when I last met my husband. Then he gave me a brochure about domestic violence and consequences for it and asked me to go through it. This interview took about 4-5mins. After that he told me that all my documents were in place and asked me to wait again in the waiting area for the next interview. I started waiting in the waiting area. This time it took longer to call me again as they were calling randomly. I was called after a wait of about 40 mins. This time I got interviewed by an American officer. At first he greeted me good morning and started asking questions like what is my husband's name, what is his birthdate, what is his highest educational qualification, where we met, how we met, how the marriage happened between us, were any of us married before. As my husband was married before he asked me a few questions related to his previous marriage like when he got divorced, when they got married, why they got divorced, why he got married to me within 3 months of his divorce, where his ex wife was from, where they met with each other,where she lives now etc. Then he also asked other questions like if I had ever been abroad with my husband, where my husband works, where he lives, what is my birthdate, if I have any photos of the abroad trips with me. I answered everything and showed him the album of sample pictures that I brought with me. I gave him the album with the pages for the abroad trips photos opened. He took the album and saw almost all the pictures. There were about 50 photos. Then he told “Mam YOUR VISA IS APPROVED”. That made my day! I had a sigh of relief. I thanked him and wished him a good day. He wished the same to me and asked to pay the immigration fees in between getting the VISA and travelling to US, kept my passport and told me that the Visa will be sent to Kolkata Visa consulate within 3-5 working days. I left the counter with a big smile on my face. Then almost ran outside the venue so that i can call my husband let him know that I got the Visa.

Congratulation 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
5 hours ago, InLoveWithS said:

COngrats. My wife interview at mumbai on march 15th. this helps

CR1 Journey for US Citizen (USC) with Spouse (India)

Service Center: Potomac Service Center

5/22/17 - Got married

6/6/17 - Mailed I-130 via UPS to Chicago Lockbox 6/7/17 - Received by USCIS; Priority Date (PD)

12/4/17 - I-130 Visa Petition Approved :) 

12/8/17- Email & Text message and website change to Case was sent to the Department of State 12/9/17 - NOA2 I-797 received in mail

12/13/17 - NVC received our case

12/21/17 - Received Welcome letter and AOS invoice from NVC thru email,Case number and invoice number assigned

12/22/17- Submit DS-261, Paid AOS fee

12/26/17 - AOS fee confirmed by bank and status change to paid in website

12/28/17 -  Received email for DS-261 confirmation and IV Invoice

12/29/17 - Paid IV fee

01/03/18 -  IV fee status change to paid in website and DS-260 open, DS-260 submitted, AOS & IV Package mailed

01/05/18 - AOS & IV package received by NVC

01/09/18 - Scan date 

01/13/18 - Case Completed. Called NVC on 1/16/18 to confirm

01/30/18 - Called NVC to find Interview is schedule for 3/15/18

02/1/18 - Received Email from NVC for interview letter PK4 dated 01/31/18

02/6/18 - Left from NVC (called on 02/07 to confirm and status changed on 2/7/18 to "In Transit")

02/8/18 - Reached at Mumbai Embassy (status changed on 2/8/18 from "In Transit" to "Ready")

03/9/18 - Medical at 8:30 at Mumbai Done

03/12/18 - Biometrics at 9:30 at Mumbai Done

03/15/18- Interview- Approved

03/19/18- Passport and Visa arrived at Blue Dart Trivandrum pickup location

03/21/18-Passport and Visa picked up

03/23/18- The USCIS Immigrant fee ($220) paid

04/26/18-POE at Chicago :) 

5/7/18-SS Card received

5/18/18-GC status on USCIS website change to Card is being produced

5/29/18- Green Card Received

ROC Journey

02/18/2020- Sent the ROC form and other documents to Phoenix AZ

02/21/2020 - Received ROC at Phoenix AZ

02/27/2020 - Check cashed and received text with receipt # MSC

03/02/2020 - Received NOA1 I-797 in mail dated 02/26/2020

03/14/2020 - Biometrics letter received in mail, notice date 03/06/2020 appointment 03/26/2020, Got cancelled because of Covid19 Closure

11/20/2020 - Received new Biometrics letter for 12/08/2020 appointment Done

12/09/2020 -  Status change to Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An interview

09/09/2021 - Status change to Interview was Scheduled

10/28/2021 - Interview date

Timeline
On 3/9/2018 at 11:03 PM, InLoveWithS said:

Congratulations, plz guide-

1. is it compulsory for mumbai interviewers to do their medical test in mumbai only?

2. Can we take appointment of our medical test before 2 days of interview?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, Info9909 said:

Congratulations, plz guide-

1. is it compulsory for mumbai interviewers to do their medical test in mumbai only?

2. Can we take appointment of our medical test before 2 days of interview?

1.ans. No you can do it from any medical center mentioned in the list by consulate.

2.ans. Generally they give the reports within 2days but it is better to have more time in hand.

Timeline
1 hour ago, InLoveWithS said:

1.ans. No you can do it from any medical center mentioned in the list by consulate.

2.ans. Generally they give the reports within 2days but it is better to have more time in hand.

Ok tysm

Timeline

Any latest Mumbai interview experience???

Today my case status changed from “ Require documents” to “ At NVC” 

w8ting for interview date 😒

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.