bnation_86

HOW TO ANSWER INTERVIEW QUSTION

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

MY WIFE HAS INTERVIEW THIS  MONTH AND THERE IS THIS QUESTION I KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO ASK... HOW WE MET. I MET MY WIFE IN 2009 DURING A CHURCH PROGRAM AND WE EXCHANGED NUMBERS WE BECAME FRIENDS AND LATER ON TRAVELED IN 2010 TO USA. WE LOST CONTACT AND LATER FOUND HER AGAIN IN 2014 THATS WHEN WE SPOKE AND PROPOSED TO HER OVER THE PHONE... WE STARTED MAKING PLANS FOR MARRIAGE AND WE GOT MARRIED IN 2015 MY QUESTION IS WHEN SHE IS ASKED HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN YOUR SPOUSE WHAT SHOULD BE THE BEST ANSWER? THANKS FOR THE REPLY

There is only one way to answer any question asked during this process: truthfully. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

*~*~*moved from "what visa do I need" to "US embassy discussion"*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

GOT IT THATS WHAT IVE BEEN TELLING HER TO BE TRUTHFUL BUT I THINK SHE FEELS LIKE SHE SHOULD SAY NUMBER OF YEARS WE DATED BEFORE WE GOT MARRIED

I'm pretty sure that story answers the question of how many years it was before you married.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
15 hours ago, kubi_gyasi said:

MY WIFE HAS INTERVIEW THIS  MONTH AND THERE IS THIS QUESTION I KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO ASK... HOW WE MET. I MET MY WIFE IN 2009 DURING A CHURCH PROGRAM AND WE EXCHANGED NUMBERS WE BECAME FRIENDS AND LATER ON TRAVELED IN 2010 TO USA. WE LOST CONTACT AND LATER FOUND HER AGAIN IN 2014 THATS WHEN WE SPOKE AND PROPOSED TO HER OVER THE PHONE... WE STARTED MAKING PLANS FOR MARRIAGE AND WE GOT MARRIED IN 2015 MY QUESTION IS WHEN SHE IS ASKED HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN YOUR SPOUSE WHAT SHOULD BE THE BEST ANSWER? THANKS FOR THE REPLY

She should answer the question basically the same way you just explained it. Make sure she knows correct dates and locations of your relationship. If you submitted a timeline with your evidence, her answer should match that timeline. I know someone who recently received the NOIR for their denied CR1. One of the reasons they were denied is because her husband got mixed up on the dates of their meeting, proposal, etc. 

Timeline
51 minutes ago, O&GForever said:

She should answer the question basically the same way you just explained it. Make sure she knows correct dates and locations of your relationship. If you submitted a timeline with your evidence, her answer should match that timeline. I know someone who recently received the NOIR for their denied CR1. One of the reasons they were denied is because her husband got mixed up on the dates of their meeting, proposal, etc. 

Thanks but in our case i met her in 2009 and we dated till i traveled in 2010. lost her contact and found her again in 2014 so i just want to know should we deduct 2011,2012,2013 from the number of years we've known each other since we weren't dating at that time?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, kubi_gyasi said:

Thanks but in our case i met her in 2009 and we dated till i traveled in 2010. lost her contact and found her again in 2014 so i just want to know should we deduct 2011,2012,2013 from the number of years we've known each other since we weren't dating at that time?

No, you should not eliminate those years. You met each other in 2009, just because you didn’t communicate for a few years doesn’t mean you didn’t know each other. 

There is an art to answering questions. You want to give enough information to ensure they know you know your relationships, but not so much that they will ask questions. 

Bad answer: We’ve know each other for 9 years. 

Good answer: We met during a church program in 2009. We dated for about a year until my husband moved/returned to the US in 2010 and we lost contact with each other. We reconnected in 2014 and after chatting on the phone we got engaged and married in 2015. Now we’re ready to spend our lives together in the US. 

Edited by O&GForever

Timeline
24 minutes ago, O&GForever said:

No, you should not eliminate those years. You met each other in 2009, just because you didn’t communicate for a few years doesn’t mean you didn’t know each other. 

There is an art to answering questions. You want to give enough information to ensure they know you know your relationships, but not so much that they will ask questions. 

Bad answer: We’ve know each other for 9 years. 

Good answer: We met during a church program in 2009. We dated for about a year until my husband moved/returned to the US in 2010 and we lost contact with each other. We reconnected in 2014 and after chatting on the phone we got engaged and married in 2015. Now we’re ready to spend our lives together in the US. 

Very smart answer. thanks a lot and i really appreciate it a lot. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, kubi_gyasi said:

This don't add up to me. if you say you met in 2009 and became friends till you relocated to US and lost contact and later reconnected , I think is better than you telling us you met in 2009 and dated till you move to US and lost contact and reconnected in 2014, I think it will be weird to anyone. if you were dating and due to your relocation you lost contact then it don't add up. That statement alone will give rise to more follow up questions. Dating someone means you should know more info about them and how to even contact their relatives if you don't hear from them and you talking of 5 years without contact? The Ghanaian embassy is picky ad in as much as you will have to say the truth, be mindful of how you put it and don't end up contradicting yourselves at the interview.

Timeline
1 hour ago, bravagreen said:

This don't add up to me. if you say you met in 2009 and became friends till you relocated to US and lost contact and later reconnected , I think is better than you telling us you met in 2009 and dated till you move to US and lost contact and reconnected in 2014, I think it will be weird to anyone. if you were dating and due to your relocation you lost contact then it don't add up. That statement alone will give rise to more follow up questions. Dating someone means you should know more info about them and how to even contact their relatives if you don't hear from them and you talking of 5 years without contact? The Ghanaian embassy is picky ad in as much as you will have to say the truth, be mindful of how you put it and don't end up contradicting yourselves at the interview.

thanks bro. i know Ghana embassy is a tough embassy. my point is just wanna know the how she can answer such question if they ask her. like i asked how long have you known each other... i believe the answer should be in numbers maybe 9 years but doesnt demand any explanation of plus or minus of the years we spoke and the years we didnt. im a little confused  because on the answer. met her in 2009 n we became friends till i traveled in 2010(friendship is 1 year) we lost contacts n found each other in 2014. so im wondering if we have to deduct the years we lost contact(2011,2012 N2013) from it or it should be included(making it 9 years?) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, bnation_86 said:

thanks bro. i know Ghana embassy is a tough embassy. my point is just wanna know the how she can answer such question if they ask her. like i asked how long have you known each other... i believe the answer should be in numbers maybe 9 years but doesnt demand any explanation of plus or minus of the years we spoke and the years we didnt. im a little confused  because on the answer. met her in 2009 n we became friends till i traveled in 2010(friendship is 1 year) we lost contacts n found each other in 2014. so im wondering if we have to deduct the years we lost contact(2011,2012 N2013) from it or it should be included(making it 9 years?) 

7 minutes ago, bnation_86 said:

just tell them as it is. tell them the total years you have known yourselves. From 2009.

Edited by bravagreen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.