Dan_&_Juls

319(b): Mailing address, where to file, how long is the process?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi, I am a US Citizen living abroad as a missionary.  My wife is applying for citizenship under 319(b) of the INA.  

My questions are:

1) After research, we've decided we'd be best served to be interviewed and naturalized at the Fairfax, VA USCIS office. We've indicated this both on our cover letter as well as on the application itself.  On my N-400 application, my mailing address is a Tennessee address (where my parents live).  Will this present problems when my application is reviewed?  Should I instead use an address of a friend in Virginia as my mailing address?  

2) Because  we want to be interviewed in VA, I am assuming I need to initially send our packet to the Lewisville ,TX location.  Is this the correct place to file?  I read somewhere that, in times past, there was one specific location (I think it was Phoenix) where all 319(b) cases were to be filed.  Can someone confirm where we are to file our N-400 packet when filing under 319(b)?

3) Has anyone recently gone through this process?  We're intending to file our application the first week of March.   My wife is a month pregnant, so we're hoping that the interview will not be scheduled in the last trimester (where would mean about 5-6 months from the time of filing).  Ideally, the interview would come closer to 9 months after the time of filing (a few weeks after the baby is here).  Can anyone advise how long your process was with filing under 319(b)?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

USCIS

Attn: N-400

P.O. Box 21251

Phoenix, AZ 85036

you can request Virginia 

subject has been bought up in previous posts by ONEK and persiangulf

information is at

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9934.html\\

congratulations on the upcoming new family 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I looked at page 6 of the most recent n-400 instructions (per another VJ user post from 2012) and there it was not specified to send application to Phoenix.  I am wondering if those are outdated instructions and i am now supposed to send to TX. Please advise.  

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, i am also planning to apply under 319b fromoverseas. I have indicated on my m400 that i wish to be interviewed at the Washington field office. However, i do not understand where to mail my packet for n400. None of the options seem to apply to my case, since my husband is a civilian working for the militari in Germany, not a military. Shall we send it to Texas?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 2/22/2018 at 11:14 AM, Dan_&_Juls said:

I looked at page 6 of the most recent n-400 instructions (per another VJ user post from 2012) and there it was not specified to send application to Phoenix.  I am wondering if those are outdated instructions and i am now supposed to send to TX. Please advise.  

Hi i am also getting ready to file from overseas under 319b as my husband is a civilian Govt. employee in Germany. Where did you mail your packet, Texas or Phoenix? TIA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, missingdon said:

Hi i am also getting ready to file from overseas under 319b as my husband is a civilian Govt. employee in Germany. Where did you mail your packet, Texas or Phoenix? TIA

I called USCIS and they told me to file in Texas (mailing address in TN). 

8/16/18 -- Married

10/23/18 -- I-130 filed (DCF in Beijing)

12/03/18 -- I-130 approved

12/23/18 -- Packet 3 Sent to GZ

12/28/18 -- Packet 4 received

02/14/19 -- Interview in GZ -- approved!

Total: 113 days from filing to approval

07/15/19 -- Entered US

08/13/19 -- Applied for Social Security Card

08/16/19 -- Green Card received

08/22/19 -- Social Security Card received

6/22/21 – I-751 (Removal of Conditions) mailed out via USPS

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

9/17/21 - I-751 Biometrics

6/8/22 - I-751 approved (interview waived under new 2022 rule)

6/15/22 - 10-year GC received in mail!

Total: 358 days from filing to receiving 10-year GC

6/18/22 - N-400 filed online

11/18/22 - Interview scheduled for Dallas Field Office

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been searching for a chat on this topic for a long time! 

We are wondering what document(s) is necessary for filing as a spouse of a missionary abroad. 

Any suggestions or experience someone can share?

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, RachelFara said:

I've been searching for a chat on this topic for a long time! 

We are wondering what document(s) is necessary for filing as a spouse of a missionary abroad. 

Any suggestions or experience someone can share?

Many thanks!

Hi Rachel,

You'll need the following:

1. N400 application form (can submit it online)
  2. Evidence of spouse's citizenship (birth certificate, or certificate of citizenship, or  valid US passport)
  3. Evidence of spouse's employment abroad 

"Such evidence may include:

The name of the employer and either the nature of the employer’s business or the ministerial, religious, or missionary activity in which the employer is engaged;

Whether the employing entity is owned in whole or in part by United States interests;

Whether the employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the foreign trade and commerce of the United States;

The nature of the activity in which the citizen spouse is engaged;

and The anticipated period of employment abroad."

4. "Evidence of Applicant’s Intent to Reside Abroad with Citizen Spouse and Return to the United States Upon Termination of Qualifying Employment. 

Along with his or her naturalization application, an applicant for naturalization under INA 319(b) must submit a statement describing his or her intent to reside abroad with the citizen spouse and his or her intent to take up residence within the United States immediately upon the termination of such employment abroad of the citizen spouse. 

5. Copy of your green card (both sides)

6. Application payment

7. Marriage certificate

8. Proof of termination of all prior marriages

9. Tax returns/tax transcripts/bank accounts/leases - for the past three years, mortgages, birth certificates of children

Just check the N400 checklist for all required documentation.

You can read more whether you're qualified to file under 319 (b) here. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.