SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,801 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
4 minutes ago, LuFlolady said:

Can you tell me if on your I-134 was it a wet signature or a copy because my fiance keeps saying i should scan the document to him..but I keep saying no it has to be a wet signature....

Our's was wet/original signatures, not copy or scanned.  You can email the consulate if you like, they are good about returning emails; at consularjohannesburg@state.gov   Let us know what they say, I would be curious to know even though.

Just now, HOORAY7 said:

Our's was wet/original signatures, not copy or scanned.  You can email the consulate if you like, they are good about returning emails; at consularjohannesburg@state.gov   Let us know what they say, I would be curious to know even though.

Perfect! thank you I will contact them just to see what they say...Did you mail yours because I know u didnt attend the interview and if so what mailing service did u use?

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

Timeline
Just now, LuFlolady said:

Perfect! thank you I will contact them just to see what they say...Did you mail yours because I know u didnt attend the interview and if so what mailing service did u use?

I was there for Christmas and our interview wasn't until March, even though we thought it would be when I was there, but nope, no openings.  So I hand delivered mine, but I researched and the only safe option is DHL, but it's pricey, roughly $200 to send your package, at least from Seattle to South Africa.  But DHL is the safest because it has to be signed for all the way through.

Just now, HOORAY7 said:

I was there for Christmas and our interview wasn't until March, even though we thought it would be when I was there, but nope, no openings.  So I hand delivered mine, but I researched and the only safe option is DHL, but it's pricey, roughly $200 to send your package, at least from Seattle to South Africa.  But DHL is the safest because it has to be signed for all the way through.

Got it! Thanks Bunches!

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
Just now, LuFlolady said:

Got it! Thanks Bunches!

Very welcome!!  If you go DHL, keep in mind it's not overnight, I believe it takes like 2-4 days, can't recall.  Good luck!!  Also, our lawyers signature was a wet/original one, not sure if you have one.  Just letting you know so you can ask the Consulate if you email them.   Good luck!

Just now, HOORAY7 said:

Very welcome!!  If you go DHL, keep in mind it's not overnight, I believe it takes like 2-4 days, can't recall.  Good luck!!  Also, our lawyers signature was a wet/original one, not sure if you have one.  Just letting you know so you can ask the Consulate if you email them.   Good luck!

wow 2-4 days for S200 lol These folks are robbing us.....lol and nope didnt use lawyer but thanks for that info too! you are AWESOME!

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
1 minute ago, LuFlolady said:

wow 2-4 days for S200 lol These folks are robbing us.....lol and nope didnt use lawyer but thanks for that info too! you are AWESOME!

lol thanks, just want to help you and anyone else, this process is nuts!!  Yes, I remember for $200 that's crazy, but make sure everything is in your package and you keep a copy "just in case".  :) 

Timeline

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all this information and tips etc.

I have a few questions though:

1. When it comes to proof of relationship - Did they look at photos, messages send, Skype calls, emails etc? My Fiance and I communicate quite a bit so the print out of communication will be a hell lot of paper. How to you balance it? We do not want to overwhelm the person who will be in charge of the interview. Can I print out proof of vacation together with the photos we took? And I suppose photos of our engagement (the ring) etc will help too.

2. They state all documents should be original's but you have to make copies too , is this true? So I guess wet signatures will be efficient to the interview. 

3. When do I have to apply for the Police Clearance. My INS Lawyer told me to wait. I am just worried that the police clearance will take up more time but I guess that there will be time between the USCIS and NVC to apply.

4. Then I have a serious question that really bothers and stress me out. We applied for a Visa B1/B2 last year October and November (My fiance wanted me to come visit him and his daughter in Florida).  but Both interviews were unsuccessful. Reason "not enough proof of country ties". Will this rejections influence my interview for the K1? I am so scared after that two disappointments. I really had two bad experiences last year and that feeling still stuck in my stomach. We are serious about each other and fell madly in love. I just not want anything to ruin our chance to be happy.

5. Did you guys wait for the NOA2 before you make any plans like packing your stuff and sorting it out. Making a to do list for when leaving SA? I am not sure how to go about. We decide to wait for the Notice before we get excited and all about me moving.

Saturday we will be on day 100 since the NOA1. Counting the days. I wish that the USCIS will soon get to work on October and November so that it can be our turn in December. Still a lot of things to arrange and plan before I can get my butt on the plane. I really need positive thoughts and vibes for this interview still to come.

I would appreciate any help or positive vibes to inspire me or motivate me to stay strong.

Kind Regards

Zel

Timeline
17 hours ago, amaraimee said:

You can look at my timeline to find out how long we waited from submitting our petition to scheduling our interview! When scheduling the interview, we were only given the earliest date available. I believe you can change it later on, I'm not quite sure.

187 Days to NOA2 not too bad. I am so happy for you guys. So I will be strong and just keep the faith. I hope that we get good news too. I don't think I need to worry too much about the NOA2. Things will work out I have faith.

Timeline
On 3/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, amaraimee said:

We were approved yesterday! Here's more detail for those that wanted to know :)

Our experience was similar to @HOORAY7's, it went pretty smooth!

We arrived to the Consulate around 12:15, our appointment was at 1:30. The consulate is directly across the street from Sandton City (a big shopping center), he told us we could either go across and hangout and come back right at 1:30 or we could sit on the benches and wait. There were 2 families in front of us. We waited and the time came for us to line up for the specific type of visa. We got into the line for K visas and waited as they came by to check our my fiance's name off of a list. The woman who came by asked me if I was going to go in with him and I said "can I?!?" and she kind of laughed and said "yes, you can!". We waited in line right up until 1:30 or so but once it came time for us to go through the door to security, we were told no laptops were allowed inside, so the security guy let me run across the street to Sandton City where Dopio Zero keeps laptops specifically for people who can't bring them into the consulate. I thought that was pretty cool. By the time I got back to the consulate, my fiance and I were last in line and we went in.

At security, they ask you to turn your phone off. They take your phone and every kind of electronic and keep it in a bin and give you a number. They took our flash drive, headphones, everything. They asked us to sip our water to make sure that's what it was, too. Once we got inside, there was a man checking the beneficiaries passport, he gave them a small paper with instructions to pickup their passport if the visa was approved, along with a number to be called by, ours was 11. 

Once we got past that man, we had to go back outside on the benches to wait, it was a courtyard type of thing. There were many people there for the K-1 that day and there weren't enough seats for everyone. There were 2 other couples outside with us. The same man came out and told us all to come in, there was now room for us. We sat down a hallway away from the interview counters since that's where the extra chairs were. They called us by number, we waited until about 3:00 to be called up. When they called number 11, I went up to the window with my fiance. They asked for our documents and a copy of each, I can't remember exactly since I was shocked I literally got to attend the entire interview with him (I had read you had to wait outside), but I believe it was birth certificate, passport, police certificates, proof of relationship, affadavit of support and supporting evidence, that's all I remember. She looked over our documents, took his fingerprints and had us sit back down. It was about 30-40 minutes later that they called us up for the interview. 

The woman doing the interview was pretty nice, and laid back. She asked if I was in South Africa as a volunteer for the Peace Corps and when I said "no" she said "That's good, because everyone before you was and I didn't approve any of them", and I thought oh great, this should be fun... haha. She looked through the photos we had, and handed all of our proofs and original documents back to us. As she did she smiled and said, "how romantic" I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic but she was smiling so I believe she meant it! She then asked ME if I work in America, I said "yes" she asked what I do, and I told her. She said "that's good work". I take care of disabled adults. She then asked my fiance a few questions. She asked when we first met, how we met, what he was doing living in Ireland for almost 2 years, When the wedding will be, and where he will be living once he comes to the USA. Everything seemed to be fine! She then asked me how old I was, I replied with 20, she asked my fiance and told her 23. She said "you want to get married this young?" She was smiling as she asked this, we both smiled and shook our heads up and down, she smiled more and said "ok". she then told us everything seems good and that the visa is approved! Then she went on to tell us it'll be a max of 2 weeks to get it back, we asked if he could get it quick because we're both stuck here until he gets his passport (he's coming home with me), and she said it's usually before 2 weeks and not usually longer, so we're hoping they'll take it into consideration and hurry it up for us. We asked her "is that it?" and she said "that's it!" 

There were so many things we were both worried about!! His police certificate was dated before our engagement, we were worried that since we planned getting engaged and doing the visa before we were actually engaged that it would cause problems, but it didn't seem to be an issue. I also posted earlier about a concern I had regarding my I-134 but that wasn't an issue either. The officer seemed to be pleased that we had all of our documents because she told us that everyone before us that wasn't approved was because they were missing their Affadavit of support. To be fair, the actual interview letter doesn't state to bring that, but for how prepared we were, I had multiple copies of everything! I'm so so so happy that step is over, I can't wait for all of you to be in the same position! Good luck to everyone, your time is coming!!! Please message me with any questions.

Congratulations 🎉🍾🎊. I don’t know what I would be doing if I wasn’t staying with my fiancé until this process is over but I’m so happy for you and I’m glad everything went smoothly 

@Hooray did you have to pay the DHL fee for the delivery of passports with visa if so how much was the DHL service?

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
20 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

We used FedEx from Alabama to Port Elizabeth, South Africa and it was $133. Arrived within 4 days 

26 minutes ago, GazLoestie1994 said:

We used FedEx from Alabama to Port Elizabeth, South Africa and it was $133. Arrived within 4 days 

thank you for the info FEDEx is an option too this is good to know..... I will be sending the I-134 because I dont have plans to visit anytime soon again unless this process goes past Septemeber then I will make another trip

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
1 hour ago, LuFlolady said:

@Hooray did you have to pay the DHL fee for the delivery of passports with visa if so how much was the DHL service?

No ma'am not to my knowledge, I will ask my fiancé and get back to you!

Timeline
2 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

No ma'am not to my knowledge, I will ask my fiancé and get back to you!

@LuFlolady - my fiancé said the same, she doesn't think so, but is not sure.  Maybe that's part of the $265?  We can let you know when she get's her's though!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.