SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,801 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline
2 hours ago, LuFlolady said:

wow! congrats whats in the DHL packet? CONGRATS on smooth POE

Thank you!! It was so smooth it didn’t feel real haha I’m not sure, when we went to pickup his passport, they only took the passport out and resealed everything else in an envelope- we aren’t allowed to open it.

1 minute ago, amaraimee said:

Thank you!! It was so smooth it didn’t feel real haha I’m not sure, when we went to pickup his passport, they only took the passport out and resealed everything else in an envelope- we aren’t allowed to open it.

gotcha! ok thank you for sharing Congrats again and ENJOY!

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Vintage girl said:

The thing is everyone's situation is different and some cases you have to compromise or make sacrifices for your loved one. If there is kids involve I would say sponsoring the Dad would make you a Hero but it can also put strain on your relationship with the fiance. We can only do what is right even if it seems outrageous. But listen to your heart and think things through carefully and discuss this with your fiance and see if you maybe can work something out that benefit both of you. Strongs. But in the long run she made her choice to start over with you. Maybe she should stick with the choice and give her kids a better future and look forward. There is always skype, Facebook, email etc to communicate with the ex husband.

Sorry everyone, just getting back in the groove of things, I was home in Iowa visiting my family and i'm back in Washington now. Kerren and I worked it out, but I told her i'm not sponsoring anyone, anyone can apply for a tourist visa without sponsorship, it's harder of course, but i'm not putting myself on the line for anyone but her and the boys.  Rough week, but we are pushing through it, thank you everyone for your advice.

They are still waiting on the visa's to be issued and are scheduled to fly 12 Apr, so we hope they get the visa's this week! 

Saw some progress with some folks getting their visa's and interview approvals, congrats to you all!!!!  Love this SA forum, keeping everyone in touch with constant changes or lesson's learned, awesome to see!!!

Timeline
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:34 PM, Wouter Erwee said:

Good Morning Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response, we were celebrating the whole of yesterday.  We are APPROVED!!!

So here's how the whole thing went down:

I arrived at Sandton City a bit early, my appointment ws only at 13:00 the afternoon.  Took a chance and went to the security at the consulate at around 12:00 but was told to come back at 12:45. Went for a coffee in the mall and returned at 12:45.  I was one of only 5 K1 visa applicants.  Started chatting to the other Saffas, 2 girls and another guy. (Sorry I am really bad at remembering names, one girl was from Port Elizabeth moving to NYC, another from Evander moving to Texas I believe and the guy from Pretoria going to Fort Lauderdale. There was another gentleman there too, but did not get the chance to talk to him.

1 - Checked us in on a tablet at the security gate, phones off and then you enter the security building.

2 - Went into the 2nd building and was checked in again, they check your passport, give you instructions on the DHL delivery and give you a number.  Then you sit and wait.  There consulate was really quite.  We were basically the only ones there.

3 - They call your number to a window where they collect all your documents.  I met with a really nice man, making jokes and conversation as you go along.

4 - I was very well prepared with all the documents and copies, but I believe the best approach is to only give them what they ask for and not submit anything extra. He asked for the following:

DS-160 form

Payment Confirmation

Unabridged Birth Certificate

Police Clearance

I-134 form ( affidavit of support)

Tax Returns and other supporting documents

US size passport photos

Proof of relationship

The man combined all the documents into a folder and told me to sit down again.

5 - Get called up for the interview.  Met a nice US lady who asked the following questions, very casual, not intimidating at all. (They must read the documents from your original submission because she knew that we met working onboard cruise ships...)

- So I see you guys met onboard a cruise ship?

- How long ago was that?

- Has she visited South Africa before?

- When was the last time she was here?

- Have you visited here in the US?

- Where are we going to live in the US?

Then she said "Great, I see no reason why I can't approve you visa application." and that was it, approved!!

6 - She then proceeded to cancel my C1D and B1B2 visas and told me that I could collect my passport within 7-10 days.

7 - She said that I would also receive an envelope with my visa to take with me to the US and give to the CBP officer at the port of entry. She instructed me very seriously " Do Not Open the Packet", haha. and that was it, out the door with an approved K1 visa.

Not sure if the other Saffas got approved as I was out the door first, but I believe all went well for them. whole process from start to finish was about 90 mins.

Not sure if I should go ahead and book a flight yet or wait till I have my visa in hand. If anyone has any input, please let me know. ...

I must say that I have found this South African forum very useful and would like to continue on the forum as we move along with with process.

Thanks for all the wishes and let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks 

Wouter

So happy for you, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

11 hours ago, HOORAY7 said:

Sorry everyone, just getting back in the groove of things, I was home in Iowa visiting my family and i'm back in Washington now. Kerren and I worked it out, but I told her i'm not sponsoring anyone, anyone can apply for a tourist visa without sponsorship, it's harder of course, but i'm not putting myself on the line for anyone but her and the boys.  Rough week, but we are pushing through it, thank you everyone for your advice.

They are still waiting on the visa's to be issued and are scheduled to fly 12 Apr, so we hope they get the visa's this week! 

Saw some progress with some folks getting their visa's and interview approvals, congrats to you all!!!!  Love this SA forum, keeping everyone in touch with constant changes or lesson's learned, awesome to see!!!

glad everything worked out and hoping they get the visas soon and have a smooth POE

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline

Guys I'm just wondering what is the worst of this K1 process : The waiting on the NOA2? The interview? The POE? Gosh this waiting is very frustrating. We are now on day 111 and still a long way to go. I just wish that the process with the NOA2 will go faster. I miss my Fiance so much. I can't wait to start my life with him.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Vintage girl said:

Guys I'm just wondering what is the worst of this K1 process : The waiting on the NOA2? The interview? The POE? Gosh this waiting is very frustrating. We are now on day 111 and still a long way to go. I just wish that the process with the NOA2 will go faster. I miss my Fiance so much. I can't wait to start my life with him.

The worst part by far is waiting on the NOA2!!  Ours took 5 months, that was the longest time of our lives!!  Once you get that NOA2, it goes by quicker and with much more professional people.  Use this time wisely to get the things together you can without going past the 6 month deadline.  Anything requiring a 6 month deadline, wait until you get your NOA2, such as police records.  Keep the faith, your time is coming!  :) 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HOORAY7 said:

The worst part by far is waiting on the NOA2!!  Ours took 5 months, that was the longest time of our lives!!  Once you get that NOA2, it goes by quicker and with much more professional people.  Use this time wisely to get the things together you can without going past the 6 month deadline.  Anything requiring a 6 month deadline, wait until you get your NOA2, such as police records.  Keep the faith, your time is coming!  :) 

I agree. The waiting and uncertainty of the NOA2 is the most torture part of this journey but I will stay positive and focus on the goal. I know that after this I can spend the rest of my life with the one I love and if destiny agree with my wishes then everything will be what is meant to be. I am looking forward to finish this journey with a positive attitude. And maybe we can inspire other couples who is going through the same thing. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Counting the days. :)

9 hours ago, Vintage girl said:

the waiting on the NOA2 is the hardest for me....What part of SA is your fiance?

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline
18 minutes ago, LuFlolady said:

the waiting on the NOA2 is the hardest for me....What part of SA is your fiance?

Im the one in SA Potchefstroom area. My fiance is in Florida. 

Just now, Vintage girl said:

Im the one in SA Potchefstroom area. My fiance is in Florida. 

ok my fiance is in Green Point

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

Timeline

Good evening/morning to everyone!  I have a question for you all.  My fiancé there in SA will be emigrating next week here to Washington State (hope we get our visa's before next Thursday!) and she has been given some jewelry from her mum that has been in her family for a while and wants her to have.  Does anyone know if she needs to claim this at customs and if so, pay anything on it?

Timeline

Just checked out status on the AIS website for my fiancé and her boys visa's, her's has been issued, but now the boys are under administrative processing.  UGH!!  Not what I wanted to see, I've heard this could take weeks!!  Oh boy, I hope this doesn't take long or it's time to reschedule everything!  Anyone know how long AP could take with children?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.