aloma

Employment and N400

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

This January I just started with my doctoral program. The undertaking of this program is so overwhelming that most universities with this program highly encourage students not to work (I have a letter of the university stating this and their website also states it).  Back in December I quit my job to start this program. Right now our only income is my husband's but we managed to have good savings to pay for the very expensive education. Since I am most likely filling for citizenship after my midterm's tests I was wondering if it is going to be any red flag/issue in the application that right now I am not employed and I am a full-time graduate student instead.

Any words of wisdom? Thank you in advance!

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, aloma said:

Hello everyone!

This January I just started with my doctoral program. The undertaking of this program is so overwhelming that most universities with this program highly encourage students not to work (I have a letter of the university stating this and their website also states it).  Back in December I quit my job to start this program. Right now our only income is my husband's but we managed to have good savings to pay for the very expensive education. Since I am most likely filling for citizenship after my midterm's tests I was wondering if it is going to be any red flag/issue in the application that right now I am not employed and I am a full-time graduate student instead.

Any words of wisdom? Thank you in advance!

Are you filing based on marriage or employment?

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, aloma said:

I have lived in the USA as a PR for 7 years. I could either state I have been married to a USC for 3 years or say I have lived in the USA for 5 years.

OK.  Either way, there is no legal requirement to be employed when applying for citizenship.  Some employment-based applicants are more worried about their job situation than their marriage-based counterparts (partly as a psychological holdover from the green card application process).  But in the end it shouldn't matter. Good luck and keep us posted!

I never had any issues. I was unemployed also(my husband was the one working). It shouldn't matter like the other ones said. Good luck! :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline
On 2/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, aloma said:

I have lived in the USA as a PR for 7 years. I could either state I have been married to a USC for 3 years or say I have lived in the USA for 5 years.

Go for the 5 year rule - less paperwork and less hassle...  This was exactly the advise that I was given by the lawyer that had originally handled my GC application when I asked him to do a once-over on my N400.  I was eligible for either, so in his opinion there was a chance that the 5 year rule would get you through faster as well since there would be less paperwork for them to handle (and potentially lose...)

Good luck!

3 hours ago, jkstark said:

Go for the 5 year rule - less paperwork and less hassle...  This was exactly the advise that I was given by the lawyer that had originally handled my GC application when I asked him to do a once-over on my N400.  I was eligible for either, so in his opinion there was a chance that the 5 year rule would get you through faster as well since there would be less paperwork for them to handle (and potentially lose...)

Good luck!

jkstark,

After reading the N-400 form, I do not see what would be the extra paperwork to base it on the 3 years instead than the 5 years. Either or they will ask if I am married with a U.S. citizen, I will have to say yes, and I will have to show his citizenship certificate (again), and I will have to show the marriage certificate (again). I do not know what would be the extra paperwork your lawyer was talking about. Did he/she mention what would be?

Timeline

Just no need for the familial proof paperwork - just having been in country is enough.    I did not end up having to show anything special - simply the application...  I did send the basic requirements of paperwork, but nothing else was ever asked for...

Being employed isn't an N-400 requirement.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Of course it’s not a problem... the oldest person at my oath ceremony was 80. I highly doubt she’s employed. The person sitting next to me was a grad student too.

Ps. Filing based on the 3 year rule would mean you need to provide marriage evidence, such as comingling financial records. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, MiraW said:

Of course it’s not a problem... the oldest person at my oath ceremony was 80. I highly doubt she’s employed. The person sitting next to me was a grad student too.

Ps. Filing based on the 3 year rule would mean you need to provide marriage evidence, such as comingling financial records. 

This is what I was trying to say - the evidenciary paperwork that you don't need with a 5 year rule petition...  You don't have to go through the trouble to get it all together, nor does the IO have to sift through it...  Again, this was the recommendation from my previous attorney based on the fact that I qualified for both.

I also don't recall seeing any questions about income, other than the requirement for tax returns, but I suspect that was more along the lines of verifying that you are filing and paying rather than to verify any income level.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.