brunt11

AOS process, any help greatly appreciated

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Im a UK citizen here on a Visa Waiver, recently got engaged to my partner whose an American Citizen,  ( we have been together for over 5 years) we have fathomed that by getting married that I can apply for AOS to get residency. What we want to know is;

1) Is there a way in Las Vegas to get the Marriage certificate on the same day? or do we have to wait to receive it in the post?

2) What information will we need to provide to prove the legitimacy of our relationship?

3) When will the interviews take place? is there a set time?

4) roughly when will I have authority to work here in the US?

Thanks for any help or guidance, I hope I have posted this in the right thread.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
8 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

Im a UK citizen here on a Visa Waiver, recently got engaged to my partner whose an American Citizen,  ( we have been together for over 5 years) we have fathomed that by getting married that I can apply for AOS to get residency. What we want to know is;

1) Is there a way in Las Vegas to get the Marriage certificate on the same day? or do we have to wait to receive it in the post?

2) What information will we need to provide to prove the legitimacy of our relationship?

1. I am not sure if you can get it same day. I got married in the state of Washington and I had to wait for them to get the paper from the person who officiated the ceremony in order to get a copy. 

2. Pretty much, what we will show on the interview and what we sent with the form were pictures, stuff that we share like bank account, insurance, etc..

3. The interview depends on where you live and the office..the busier the office is, the longer the wait. For Seattle is around 200+ to 300 days from the day of the Biometrics to the interview date. If everything is correct and they don't send you a RFE it can go 2 ways. One is that they decide that you don't need an interview and they start processing your card to send it to you. The second one would be that they put you on "ready to schedule an interview" status and that from that moment, you could get a letter any day saying when your interview will be. 

4. When you apply for the AOS, you should apply for the EAD and AP (in case you want to leave the country on a trip or something). After 3 months or so and after Biometrics, you should get a combo card with the EAD/AP that will allow you to work while waiting for the Green Card. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

1) google getting married in Las Vegas.  It will give you everything you need to know

YMMV

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Andsco said:

1. I am not sure if you can get it same day. I got married in the state of Washington and I had to wait for them to get the paper from the person who officiated the ceremony in order to get a copy. 

2. Pretty much, what we will show on the interview and what we sent with the form were pictures, stuff that we share like bank account, insurance, etc..

3. The interview depends on where you live and the office..the busier the office is, the longer the wait. For Seattle is around 200+ to 300 days from the day of the Biometrics to the interview date. If everything is correct and they don't send you a RFE it can go 2 ways. One is that they decide that you don't need an interview and they start processing your card to send it to you. The second one would be that they put you on "ready to schedule an interview" status and that from that moment, you could get a letter any day saying when your interview will be. 

4. When you apply for the AOS, you should apply for the EAD and AP (in case you want to leave the country on a trip or something). After 3 months or so and after Biometrics, you should get a combo card with the EAD/AP that will allow you to work while waiting for the Green Card. 

thanks.

wow that long for the interview..

Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

1) google getting married in Las Vegas.  It will give you everything you need to know

I gone through a good 5 or 6 pages on google but I can't see any way around having to wait for the certificate. I guess I can always contact the local court and find out if the ceremony is done there if they can do it for me

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

I gone through a good 5 or 6 pages on google but I can't see any way around having to wait for the certificate. I guess I can always contact the local court and find out if the ceremony is done there if they can do it for me

Wait for the certificate after the ceremony?  The officiant has 10 days after the ceremony to file it with the county.  You can order the marriage certificate online after is has been filed

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Wait for the certificate after the ceremony?  The officiant has 10 days after the ceremony to file it with the county.  You can order the marriage certificate online after is has been filed

I just wanted to get the certificate asap as I need that to process my AOS, this way I spend less time in breach of US law

Timeline
17 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

thanks.

wow that long for the interview..

Yep..I sent my AOS docs back on August 2017. On September (the 7th) I took my Biometrics and I am since the end of September under the "ready to schedule an interview" status haha but don't worry about the GC really..just make sure that you send the right documents in order to not get the RFE and for the rest, just worry about the EAD/AP card. Think that even though the GC is important, the EAD is the one that will allow you to work until you get the GC. I would assume you will get the GC before you even have to renew the EAD, so no problem!

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
11 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

Also whilst I'm on the topic?

on the 60-90 day rule? is it better to marry on the 90th day or after the visa expires? or does it not matter?

Does not matter. That is state department  rule not a USCIS rule. So unless you plan to go back to the UK to complete the process from there it is irrelevant to you.

Timeline
Just now, azblk said:

Does not matter. That is state department  rule not a USCIS rule. So unless you plan to go back to the UK to complete the process from there it is irrelevant to you.

thanks for your reply. no planning on staying here

so we can tie the knot and once we are in possession of marriage certificate can begin the AOS procedure?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
13 minutes ago, brunt11 said:

thanks for your reply. no planning on staying here

so we can tie the knot and once we are in possession of marriage certificate can begin the AOS procedure?

yes you can and you should. The processing times are getting longer and longer so the earlier you start the sooner you will get your green card.

19 hours ago, Andsco said:

If everything is correct and they don't send you a RFE it can go 2 ways. One is that they decide that you don't need an interview and they start processing your card to send it to you. The second one would be that they put you on "ready to schedule an interview" status and that from that moment, you could get a letter any day saying when your interview will be. 

OP will definitely have an interview as they are adjusting status from entering the US on the VWP.  Only K-1 applicants, such as yourself, potentially may not have an interview.

Jlj4m8.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, brunt11 said:

Also whilst I'm on the topic?

on the 60-90 day rule? is it better to marry on the 90th day or after the visa expires? or does it not matter?

My advice is, get the SS done before marriage and marry before the 90th day. It doesn't really matter as far as I know but it is always good to know that you are still under the legal terms and that you have time to apply for the AOS. I married on the 15th of July and I sent my AOS package on the 1st of August. My visa wasn't expiring until the 14th of September.

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.