3 posts in this topic

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. 

I am a Canadian citizen (born in Canada) and I have been dating my girlfriend who is a us citizen (born in the us) for approximately 4 years. We have now filed petition for the k1 visa

My questions and concerns revolve around my criminal record. Juvenile record is assault police officer in 2010 ( which I recived while trying to be detained inside my home and resisting) I was 16 at the time.  I have an assault x2 which I received for slapping another youth that was in a cell with me during the time I was in custody for the assault police. At the time I was told I no longer had a home to go to and was scared to leave the juvenile hall and not have a home to go too. I slapped this youth intentionally to be able to extend my stay in detention.

fast forward 2 years in 2012 I am now18 years old. I had a really bad day and made the mistake of trying to relive my stress by drinking alcohol. While at my friends house I realized I've had way to much to drink and called a cab to come take me home. I remember getting into the cab and then I woke up in custody. I had been dropped off not at the requested destination, where I had stumbled into a coffee shop. I ended up picking a fight with one of the employees and damaging some property. I received an assault charge and a mischief under. I was also charged with breaching my conditions of probation from my first conviction ( a no alcohol order, a curfew and a keep the peace)

fast forward to 2016  I've mature and made many positive strides in my life. I am now 22 and in a committed long term long distance relationship. At this point we've done some reading and assumed I'd need a waiver for inadmissability. We spent many months going through this process and come to the final step of handing in the forms at a port of entry. Where I was informed by the officer (who also went and spoke to his superior) that I was indeed admissible because I have no cimt's. He specified that they don't even take into consideration my youth record, and the assault and micheif could be something very minor( I did not go into detail about my chargers) he told me I had been misled by the waiver company inside Canada. He clipped somthing to my criminal records copy that said "no cimt's" and told me to bring this record file everytime I cross and hand it to them at the boarder when asked about my criminal history. I left with a huge smile excited to be able to go see my girlfriend there and finally meet her family and her  2 young children who at the time I have never met in person just FaceTime but had still grown to love them very much.

fast forward another 2 years and it's now 2018 and I'm 24. My girlfriend has both been here a bunch and I have traveled there a few times with 0 problems crossing the boarder. I took the advice of the officer at my initial vist at the port of entry. The longest time spent there being 3 months. 

As the time between now and my interview shortens I find my anxiety about this at an all time high. I've planned my whole life around this and I am with the woman of my dreams, the thought of any coming between that makes me sick to my stomach.

im concerned if my k1 visa will be approved in the interview. I know they base their decision on cimt's which I've been informed I do not have. But I've also read they use discretion at these interviews. I'm fairly good at articulating myself but that little voice in the back of my head named anxiety doesn't allow my mind to be at peace with this.  

Please,  

I would really appreciate any and all input on our situation. Thanks in advance. I also apologize for the story book, I just like to be thorough. 

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.