starsky

I-751 February 2018 Filers

2,688 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/3/2019 at 3:10 PM, TS_BB said:

Hi, I recently went to Canada and back with expired GC and extension letter, no problems at all. Travelled by air and needed eTA, also no problem. As someone said above, if you're back before extension letter expires, you won't need anything else. Good luck!

Thanks! We've traveled before to Canada and back with the extension letter without issue. Well, the person at the border claims the extension letter had a typo on the date or something like that (said it said mm/dd/2018 instead of mm/dd/2019). Upon looking at the letter now, I see the first sentence as follows:

"You received an I-797C, Notice of Action, for your I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, extending your status from 12 months to 18 months between August 20, 2018 through August 30, 2018. The notice may have been sent to you with incorrect information; therefore, we are sending you a revised notice. Please review the old notice you received, and if any of the information is incorrect, please return the old noticed to the following address and identify what information was incorrect. If your information is correct on the old notice, you can discard it."

Now we still have the "old" 18-month extension notice, but I'm not seeing any "incorrect information", so I didn't send it in nor discard it. Should I be worried about those dates above (August 20, 2018 through August 30, 2018)? I can see where that sentence can be interpreted in different ways, so I'm not sure if that's really incorrect or not. If it is, is it something as simple as calling USCIS and telling them, and they'll send me a new notice ASAP? I'm a little nervous that with the trip only a month away, if we request a new document, it won't be here in time for the trip.

Edited by Danielle and Jake

K1 Visa Timeline 01/30/2015- Engaged02/20/2015- I-129F petition filed03/12/2015- NOA 1 received04/02/2015- NOA 2 received!04/24/2014- Case sent from NVC to Consulate in Montreal04/27/2015- Called NVC to receive Case #05/04/2015- Emailed/mailed Packet 3 to Montreal05/13/2015- Consulate received Packet 305/20/2015- Packet 4 email06/12/2015- Medical06/25/2015- Interview-APPROVED07/08/2015- Visa issued07/14/2015- Visa in hand07/20/2015- POE Sarnia/Port Huron border<p>08/14/2015- wedding!

September 2015- Applied for AOS

September 30th- Biometrics Appointment

November 2015- Advanced Parole/ Employment Authorization Received

Timeline

What's strange is the "original" 18 month extension notice doesn't have this date whatsoever, but the "Revised" does. I'm submitting a request online, but don't they do that "we have 3 weeks to look at it" stuff? It definitely won't be fixed before our trip and I'm worried we'll get turned down at the border. Has anyone else seen anything similar on their "Revised" 18 month extension?

K1 Visa Timeline 01/30/2015- Engaged02/20/2015- I-129F petition filed03/12/2015- NOA 1 received04/02/2015- NOA 2 received!04/24/2014- Case sent from NVC to Consulate in Montreal04/27/2015- Called NVC to receive Case #05/04/2015- Emailed/mailed Packet 3 to Montreal05/13/2015- Consulate received Packet 305/20/2015- Packet 4 email06/12/2015- Medical06/25/2015- Interview-APPROVED07/08/2015- Visa issued07/14/2015- Visa in hand07/20/2015- POE Sarnia/Port Huron border<p>08/14/2015- wedding!

22 minutes ago, Danielle and Jake said:

What's strange is the "original" 18 month extension notice doesn't have this date whatsoever, but the "Revised" does. I'm submitting a request online, but don't they do that "we have 3 weeks to look at it" stuff? It definitely won't be fixed before our trip and I'm worried we'll get turned down at the border. Has anyone else seen anything similar on their "Revised" 18 month extension?

Hm, interesting. I didn't know there were two versions. Mine says "extending for 18 months counting from the expiration date on your green card". The letter itself has no expiration date. I guess I never got the revised version then. Can you use your "old" version without the dates? That will avoid any confusion.

3 hours ago, Danielle and Jake said:

Also, if you believe it's a typo, there's an online e-request form you can submit and ask for a correction. Search for 'uscis typographic error'. You might get the corrected document faster that way, before your trip. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, TS_BB said:

Also, if you believe it's a typo, there's an online e-request form you can submit and ask for a correction. Search for 'uscis typographic error'. You might get the corrected document faster that way, before your trip. 

Yup, that's what I did, unfortunately they give the 3 week time period for a reply, but yeah. I still have the "old" version, which while it looks different with some of the paragraphs, it doesn't contain an incorrect information about my wife (the GC holder). I'm just so paranoid/worried about using that one because I feel like they could scan or it something and see it's an "old" copy. But to the point of your previous post, why would they give a date range for the extension time expiring? The GC expires on a given date, so the "extension" would just go 18 months from that date.

I think that those dates really correspond to when they sent out the notice? We got our "old" version in early October, not August though, but that's the only way I can make sense out of the line.

2 hours ago, Danielle and Jake said:

Yup, that's what I did, unfortunately they give the 3 week time period for a reply, but yeah. I still have the "old" version, which while it looks different with some of the paragraphs, it doesn't contain an incorrect information about my wife (the GC holder). I'm just so paranoid/worried about using that one because I feel like they could scan or it something and see it's an "old" copy. But to the point of your previous post, why would they give a date range for the extension time expiring? The GC expires on a given date, so the "extension" would just go 18 months from that date.

I think that those dates really correspond to when they sent out the notice? We got our "old" version in early October, not August though, but that's the only way I can make sense out of the line.

I see, yeah, it is really confusing! 

You're right, that range is prob not the expiration. It's just oddly worded. I can tell you that my notice was not scanned at all, they just read it. I don't think the customs officers have a way to know what letters were sent to you. And there are so many people with extension letters these days,1 they're used to seeing them. If you don't get the correction in time you could bring both notices with you, show the old one (no dates) and only show the new one if asked (I doubt they'll ask). It'll be fine, they'll see the date on the GC (which is all that matters) and let you back in. 🙂

And we are now almost 2 months after sending the RFE package back. Nothing anywhere. I'm getting really close to throwing in the towel on this one and packing everybody up to move to Europe. This is ridiculous.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
11 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

And we are now almost 2 months after sending the RFE package back. Nothing anywhere. I'm getting really close to throwing in the towel on this one and packing everybody up to move to Europe. This is ridiculous.

Man that's a long time. I've seen people get approve one to two weeks after they sent RFE reply. I can understand your frustration. 

Hoping  you hear something soon. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, implife said:

Can you please remind me what your RFE was for?

Request for Further Evidence. Meaning something was missing in the application or not enough. For example I got an RFE during my K1 for sending in the wrong tax forms. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
12 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

You're at the home stretch now, don't give up. Plus if the Netherlands have similar immigration rules as Sweden, bringing your family over is not going to be easier or faster anyway... Good luck, I hope you hear something soon! 

Hi guys. I haven't received any updates since i received my 18 months extension letter and have decided to file the n400 on june 6th. I have already received the biometrics appointment for the 28th. It says the case would take about 9 months. In case there is an interview for the removal of conditions could it be possible to get interviewed for the naturalization also? 

Hi all i have lurking in this thread for quite a while now and i must say you all been a  great help reducing a lot of my stress . I applied for my removal of condition around 8th of feb in 2018. Got my 18 month extension letter like everyone in august of 2018. Date was 12th august. Since than i am checking this forum and USCIS site every day without fail. I had to go to india for my brothers wedding in end of May for 15 days and i took all the necessary documents so i dont have any issues entering back to US. Day before my flight back to US when i check my status i saw that "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" and thats the best thing i have seen in quite a few time. :P  

During my entry in US yesterday me and my wife went to self serve kiosk and scanned our documents, we got the ticket with "X" mark and asked to go in line to see immigration officer. I was expecting that as my GC was expired and i had my extension letter with me. During interview with immigration office he asked us few question. What is the nature of your relationship? A: Married, we are husband and wife.  What was the purpose of your trip? A: Family wedding. How long you been out of US in this trip? A: My wife's was out for 4 weeks and i was out for 3 weeks. (she went a week ahead of me but we purposely booked a return ticket on the same day so there are no issue with immigration if we go together in front of officer. ). Then he asked me You have a green card and 18 month extension letter, to this my wife replied we received a notification form USCIS yesterday that my card was being picked up by USPS and i will get the new card tomorrow and office replied, "Good, got it." and he stamped our passports and handed our document back to us. :) .

Again thanks every one who contributed to this forum and all the best who are still waiting for their approvals. 

PS: I never applied for my N400 as i was expecting a visit outside US, and didnt want to complicate things while i am out of US. I was planning to do it after i came back to US.

Edited by VisaJourney43

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.