egroeg

I-751/N-400 combo filers in Chicago

196 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, L&B2018 said:

My N400 interview is on October 9th. Hoping for a joint interview.

Hi @L&B2018 

Please share your experience, when you will have an interview. When did you file for I -751 and when did you file for N400? Thanks in advance.

Background

Filed August 2016

Went through 2 RFE 

Filed N-400 March 2018

Interviewed ROC (I-751) July 2018

Interview (N-400) October 2018

Online Status:

I-751 still shows "Receipt of Biometrics and case in progress" although already had an interview 2 months ago. 

Action Taken:

Called USCIS: Submitted an inquiry

Infopass (August 2018): Only shared the same information as online.

USCIS Inquiry: August 2018): No additional information

3 hours ago, L&B2018 said:

I-751: October 2016

N400: February 2018

It looks like your I-751 is out of standard processing time already. If you didn't receive any update for I-751 , you can submit an inquiry for your case, cause it is out of processing times or you should contact your local representative . I am pretty sure they will confirm it is a Combo interview .

So, I am still waiting...no combo interview for me. Naturalization approved, already put me in line for oath....BUT I haven't received the letter with the Oath date due to I 751 pending. :( My IO was great, but he did point that he couldn't approved my I 751 and that it will need a supervisor to okay it. Now my concern is that I moved...I had to send AR 11 yesterday and today I called USCIS to make the address change official (we are liable if we don't, it's a requirement for LPR). Now, I don't know what would happen to my file. I hope it's not going to be months of delay, it's really frustrating becasue I travel a lot and it seems that (somebody correct me if I am wrong) they keep counting your days even after the 3 years.

I 751 waiting time: 22 months. N 400 interview was on August 27th.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, benny_oo said:

Anyone know how long it takes after the combo interview before they approve the application or update your profile online? The IO cancelled the I-551 stamp on my passport, so I was thinking it will be fast.

Does your letter says it will be combo I? I wonder why some people get those and some others, like me, just get the regular letter. In my case, the status online changed right away.

That's interesting what you say about IO cancelling your I 551. Mine did not do that. I had 2 of those (one expired of course). So, I guess that means I will be waiting longtime. 

Edited by Charly2

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi All,

I have been following this chain for sometime now.

I had my N400 / I751 interview today at the Chicago Office and would like to share my experience.

I showed up to my 9am interview 5 mins before ( Cutting it close i know lol), any way i signed in and saw a ton of people waiting. I found out that some folks were waiting for their Oath Ceremony to begin and the others we there for their interview. Anyway i was still expecting a decent wait time, but got called within 5 mins of sitting down.

Now, my wife was not with me at the time as she is in school and is not allowed to miss classes, being that it was the N400 interview and it never asked for her to be present. I told my wife to come after she got out of class at 10am, so i was actually banking on having a long wait time so she could show up. As i mentioned i got called within 5 mins of sitting down by the interviewing officer, and would you know the first thing she said to me was

"I noticed you did not come with your spouse" of which i responded she is on her way. The officer followed with, "Okay, we will try to get through the pending I-751 as much as possible without her. I said Okay, and explained that she is in school and is not allowed to miss classes.

I751 Interview

We walked in her office and she asked to me to remain standing as she placed me under oath. From their she pulled out an extensive detailed file of all my filings, and God knows what other info she had on her screen but she had tons of info. She spent some time going through my file and it looked like she was getting familiar with what was already submitted and not submitted. Anyway she then asked if i had my most recent Tax forms, and additional proof to show a bonafide marriage. I gave her all my tax documents dating back 4 or 5 years, and the original marriage certificate, as well as info showing my wife on my insurance plan, and a car insurance card with both or names on it. She took all of that and then asked for all my passports issued, as well as my green card. From their she started flipping through my file again and it seems she was looking at pics we submitted when we applied for the ROC, she then asked if we still had our dog and i said yes we do.

Then she started fact checking all that was inputted in the application, asking me my name, DOB, Address, Phone # etc. Then she asked me my wife's DOB, and if she currently resides with me.

The we moved on to the N400 Application.

We jumped right into the Civics test. (Sorry i do not remember the questions) I got the first 6 right and we moved on to the Reading and Written piece which i also passed. We verified that my info submitted was correct and she asked me a long list of the Yes or No questions on the application, Goes without saying that the majority of the time spent was me saying No to questions like "Have you ever supported a communist party" etc.

Then she asked me if i had traveled out the country the last 5 years, i said yes and listed all the places. Then she asked if i stayed 6 months outside of the US at anytime since my residency i said no

From their she had me sign some papers and docs on an Ipad, and told me she was approving my I751 and Recommending my N400 for approval. So i then asked her does she still need to see my wife. She replied: "No, you provided enough info" Then i asked if i could text my wife to not come anymore, she said it was okay. Then she told me that i should receive a letter in the mail advising me on my oath ceremony date in 6 weeks or less.

The interview took around 30 -35mins, i was expecting it to be longer. However i had a great experience with the officer, i walked out on cloud nine as i was terrified i wouldn't be approved without my wife being present.

I hope this info helps someone as much as your submissions have helped me prepare.

Thank You all!

16 hours ago, Tcainkb said:

Hi All,

I had my N400 / I751 interview today at the Chicago Office and would like to share my experience.

I showed up to my 9am interview 5 mins before ( Cutting it close i know lol), any way i signed in and saw a ton of people waiting. I found out that some folks were waiting for their Oath Ceremony to begin and the others we there for their interview. Anyway i was still expecting a decent wait time, but got called within 5 mins of sitting down.

Now, my wife was not with me at the time as she is in school and is not allowed to miss classes, being that it was the N400 interview and it never asked for her to be present. I told my wife to come after she got out of class at 10am, so i was actually banking on having a long wait time so she could show up. As i mentioned i got called within 5 mins of sitting down by the interviewing officer, and would you know the first thing she said to me was

"I noticed you did not come with your spouse" of which i responded she is on her way. The officer followed with, "Okay, we will try to get through the pending I-751 as much as possible without her. I said Okay, and explained that she is in school and is not allowed to miss classes.

I751 Interview

We walked in her office and she asked to me to remain standing as she placed me under oath. From their she pulled out an extensive detailed file of all my filings, and God knows what other info she had on her screen but she had tons of info. She spent some time going through my file and it looked like she was getting familiar with what was already submitted and not submitted. Anyway she then asked if i had my most recent Tax forms, and additional proof to show a bonafide marriage. I gave her all my tax documents dating back 4 or 5 years, and the original marriage certificate, as well as info showing my wife on my insurance plan, and a car insurance card with both or names on it. She took all of that and then asked for all my passports issued, as well as my green card. From their she started flipping through my file again and it seems she was looking at pics we submitted when we applied for the ROC, she then asked if we still had our dog and i said yes we do.

Then she started fact checking all that was inputted in the application, asking me my name, DOB, Address, Phone # etc. Then she asked me my wife's DOB, and if she currently resides with me.

We jumped right into the Civics test. (Sorry i do not remember the questions) I got the first 6 right and we moved on to the Reading and Written piece which i also passed. We verified that my info submitted was correct and she asked me a long list of the Yes or No questions on the application, Goes without saying that the majority of the time spent was me saying No to questions like "Have you ever supported a communist party" etc.

Then she asked me if i had traveled out the country the last 5 years, i said yes and listed all the places. Then she asked if i stayed 6 months outside of the US at anytime since my residency i said no

From their she had me sign some papers and docs on an Ipad, and told me she was approving my I751 and Recommending my N400 for approval. So i then asked her does she still need to see my wife. She replied: "No, you provided enough info" Then i asked if i could text my wife to not come anymore, she said it was okay. Then she told me that i should receive a letter in the mail advising me on my oath ceremony date in 6 weeks or less.

The interview took around 30 -35mins, i was expecting it to be longer. However i had a great experience with the officer, i walked out on cloud nine as i was terrified i wouldn't be approved without my wife being present.

I hope this info helps someone as much as your submissions have helped me prepare.

Thank You all!

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your experience. 

17 hours ago, Tcainkb said:

Hi All,

I751 Interview

Thank You all!

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your experience. 

Edited by MemeB
Adding question

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good News! My Oath Ceremony is 10/11/18, i really was not expecting to get this fast. I thought it would at least be a month. However before i left i remember the officer mentioning that it seems they are holding more ceremonies.

I am trying to understand the timeframes for I-751 , they updated it for CSC recently, and right now it says 15.5 - 21.5. How is that possible that they have such a big gap in processing. Some cases might be processed like 6 months earlier than others, just trying to understand it. What do you guys think?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.