Nafisa & Bryce

Affidavit of support documents

12 posts in this topic

We are July 10 i129f filers, hoping to get an NOA2 within the next few weeks (I know it’s not very predictable). I’m the USC and I’m  expecting our first baby Feb 13th. Is it okay to get the financial documents-specifically a letter from my bank confirming balance and stuff, already have all of my tax documents and employer letter- in order for the affidavit of support as soon as we receive the NOA2? Or should i wait until the interview is scheduled to get that? If I’m able to get everything ready on my end before our son is born, I’d like to since it may be a bit of a challenge while I’m caring for a newborn. Thanks for any advice!

The I-134 and supporting documents just need to be "recent" enough for a CO to believe they are still current. Getting them before NOA2 is likely premature. I personally would at least wait until you have an NVC case number (since NOA2 -> NVC is taking close to 2 months now). Just give yourself enough of a margin between interview and getting & sending the documents.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The I-134 and supporting documents just need to be "recent" enough for a CO to believe they are still current. Getting them before NOA2 is likely premature. I personally would at least wait until you have an NVC case number (since NOA2 -> NVC is taking close to 2 months now). Just give yourself enough of a margin between interview and getting & sending the documents.

Thanks, I knew we should at least wait for the NOA2 but I was hoping I could get everything together before baby comes. My fiancé is in Australia, and the Sydney consulate tends to schedule interviews pretty quickly from what I’ve heard. We have an attorney but they tend to give info as needed, and I like to get a head start whenever I can, so again, thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Nafisa & Bryce said:

We are July 10 i129f filers, hoping to get an NOA2 within the next few weeks (I know it’s not very predictable). I’m the USC and I’m  expecting our first baby Feb 13th. Is it okay to get the financial documents-specifically a letter from my bank confirming balance and stuff, already have all of my tax documents and employer letter- in order for the affidavit of support as soon as we receive the NOA2? Or should i wait until the interview is scheduled to get that? If I’m able to get everything ready on my end before our son is born, I’d like to since it may be a bit of a challenge while I’m caring for a newborn. Thanks for any advice!

I would check your embassy's site.  Mine said financial documents are valid as long as they are no more than a year old.

Edited by barltok

9 hours ago, barltok said:

I would check your embassy's site.  Mine said financial documents are valid as long as they are no more than a year old.

That’s very good to know, I’ll do that! Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

geowrian you wrote:

(since NOA2 -> NVC is taking close to 2 months now). Just give yourself enough of a margin between interview and getting & sending the documents.

I thought NOA2>NVC (Philippines) used to take a few weeks, am I crazy or have things changed considerably.  I may be relating to ~2012 when I first read about the process so I guess my knowledge is outdated.  Thank you for the answer.

Receiving the NOA2 had dragged out 1.5 months longer than was predicted (Philippines) so now another delay.  Am I surprised....no.  But it looks like it'll go through near the end of this month.  Darn, I thought she could do the St Luke exam within a month or so...so now it's more like 11 weeks?

37 minutes ago, Balamban said:

geowrian you wrote:

(since NOA2 -> NVC is taking close to 2 months now). Just give yourself enough of a margin between interview and getting & sending the documents.

I thought NOA2>NVC (Philippines) used to take a few weeks, am I crazy or have things changed considerably.  I may be relating to ~2012 when I first read about the process so I guess my knowledge is outdated.  Thank you for the answer.

Receiving the NOA2 had dragged out 1.5 months longer than was predicted (Philippines) so now another delay.  Am I surprised....no.  But it looks like it'll go through near the end of this month.  Darn, I thought she could do the St Luke exam within a month or so...so now it's more like 11 weeks?

You may or not be crazy (:P) , but that's correct. It used to take a week or 2 to get from USCIS to NVC, then like a week to the embassy. It's taking ~6+ weeks to get from USCIS to NVC alone now (after NOA2). This started a few months ago, I believe.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I've read the instructions for I--134 which makes no mention of pay stubs or tax documents. Anyone know why I'm reading these as required docs so often? Are they just a "nice to have" or truly required?

Thanks,

Brian

10 minutes ago, Brian&Prasha said:

Hello,

I've read the instructions for I--134 which makes no mention of pay stubs or tax documents. Anyone know why I'm reading these as required docs so often? Are they just a "nice to have" or truly required?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

We have been working with an attorney (highly rated in my area, with many clients from out of state as well), so I haven't read all of the requirements, but I can tell you what our attorney asked me to provide:

-Income tax return from previous year

-Employment verification letter stating how long I have been with the company, my current position and salary, as well as the nature of my position (temporary v. permanent)

-a letter from an officer at my bank stating the date the account was opened, the total amount that has been deposited over the past 12 months, and current balance. They only ask for my checking account, but said if I wanted to include savings as well it wouldn't hurt.

-a list of bonds (if any) with serial numbers and denominations

-other documents, such as real estate or other appraisals (I assume the last two are if you are using assets as a basis for support)

Just now, Nafisa & Bryce said:

Hi Brian,

We have been working with an attorney (highly rated in my area, with many clients from out of state as well), so I haven't read all of the requirements, but I can tell you what our attorney asked me to provide:

-Income tax return from previous year

-Employment verification letter stating how long I have been with the company, my current position and salary, as well as the nature of my position (temporary v. permanent)

-a letter from an officer at my bank stating the date the account was opened, the total amount that has been deposited over the past 12 months, and current balance. They only ask for my checking account, but said if I wanted to include savings as well it wouldn't hurt.

-a list of bonds (if any) with serial numbers and denominations

-other documents, such as real estate or other appraisals (I assume the last two are if you are using assets as a basis for support)

Also, just read through what the attorney sent, and they mentioned these as "required documents." Hope this helps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Brian&Prasha said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Brian

Every country's consular office in different in their financial requirements. Some consular offices might require these documents, some might recommend them, and some might not need at all. Ultimately, though, the burden of proof is on the petitioner to prove that they (or their cosponsor) will be able to provide for the beneficiary upon arrival to the U.S. So extra proof, even if superfluous, can always be a good thing when it comes to proving your ability to financially support your beneficiary. Contacting your specific consular office is probably the best way to ensure that you have all the necessary financial documents, as well as learn which documents may not be required.

As Kush_Omaded stated, this varies heavily from embassy to embassy. It even varies from CO to CO, and case to case. The I-134 does not have many hard requirements, and is not even a required form under law. The I-134 is only a tool to help the CO assess the public charge concern of the NIV applicant.

NOTE: This differs than the I-864 (for AOS or an immigrant visa), which does has more defined minimum requirements and is actually required under law.

Showing proof of assets is generally optional if you have sufficient income. For the I-864, it is completely optional (it says so right on the section).

6 hours ago, Brian&Prasha said:

The I-134 lists tax returns as one form of documentation for people who are self employed. (page 3, item C). However, COs at some embassies want to see it for any individual. In general, having this ready to show is suggested.

The I-134 does not explicitly list pay stubs, but it falls under the same category as evidence of current income alongside a letter of employment.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.