Kathryn Baer

US Citizenship automatically revokes previous citizenships?

20 posts in this topic

The US does not recognize dual citizenship but they don't prevent it either (i.e you're a citizen of the US first and foremost).

I know Canada isn't strict with it either and they allow dual citizenship but certain countries like South Korea, China, etc DO NOT allow for dual citizenship. You automatically lose your citizenship in those countries when you naturalize and people who try to skirt around this by not reporting it to the former country's consulate will face issues traveling. In this day and age with APIS and biometrics, it's pretty easy to find out who holds dual nationality and who doesn't.

However, if you naturalize in other countries while holding US citizenship, based on your statements showing intent of giving up US citizenship (i.e many countries have naturalization oath that states you'll give up other citizenship, etc), you can relinquish your US citizenship by choice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It was just something I heard from a friend now pursuing a K-1 Visa. I figured he was wrong, but just wanted to check.

Do any of you know if they allow triple citizenship? My husband has dual, US & Italian. We we looking into obtaining Italian Citizenship for me as well. But would it be possible for each of us to have US, Canadian & Italian Citizenship's?

Edited by Kathryn Baer
Forgotten info

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

You can have as many as you're eligible for. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most I have personally come across is 5, no doubt somebody with more.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline
6 hours ago, Kathryn Baer said:

It was just something I heard from a friend now pursuing a K-1 Visa. I figured he was wrong, but just wanted to check.

Do any of you know if they allow triple citizenship? My husband has dual, US & Italian. We we looking into obtaining Italian Citizenship for me as well. But would it be possible for each of us to have US, Canadian & Italian Citizenship's?

There is no difference between dual, triple, quadruple, quintruple, etc. citizenship as they are only variations of multiple citizenship. Either all countries involved allow their citizens to hold another citizenship, or two, or three, or four, etc., or they don't. In the case you mentioned, we are talking the United States, Canada, and Italy.

The United States doesn't recognize multiple citizenship, so it's neutral.

Canada not only allows it, but openly encourages it. Probably the most multiple citizenship-friendly country on Earth.

Italy is one of the two countries on the planet that extend jus sanguinis to a 2nd generation, meaning someone can claim Italian citizenship if a grandparent was an Italian citizen. Italy has no problem with multiple citizenship either.

Thus, the answer to your question is "yes." I'm a citizen of the United States, Sweden, and Germany.

Edited by Brother Hesekiel

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.