UKtoUSA99

Juvenile crime on my criminal record?

10 posts in this topic

My fiancee and I are September filers and I have been thinking that I've made a mistake about my criminal record? 

When I was 13 I got caught shoplifting with a group of people. We never went to court and never got charged with anything. Only got told by the store security guard that we couldn't return to the store, the guard took a picture of everyone that was involved to put in their "book of people that are banned", and a police officer came to talk to us. We had to attend a theft class at the police station and nothing else was said about the incident after that. I haven't been in trouble since and I thought of that as a "warning". 

Would that have gone on my record if I never went to court? I'm worrying now that we will be denied even though it's such a minor crime and I was also underage. I checked "no" to the part of the i129f form where it asks if you've ever been charged, arrested, cited ect with any crime. Will we get a RFE if this comes up or will they simply deny us and make us restart? 

I'm really nervous. It was totally overlooked when I was filling it out 

Only a few crimes you have to disclose and it's on the I-129 form,  You are fine

I have been arrested about 6 times: DWI, Public Intoxication, Trespassing, Burgurlary of coin operated machine, Fighting, Criminal Mischief 

None of them were listed as needing a police report on the application, I never listed them and never were brought up at any time in the process.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

@Chris Duffy thank you so much for the reassurance 😁😁 I've done research and some sites say it's vital to disclose all of the criminal acts you have ever done and I thought that was ridiculous. I was terrified they'd deny us for misrepresentation or something but I truly didn't think that applied to me 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Juvenile records appearing into adulthood may be part of local laws and policies.  The police clearance is only required to go to 16 years of age for USCIS purposes. I'm not an expert, but I doubt it will be a sticking point.  First I don't know if you were formally arrested in a way that leaves a record.  Second, it was at an age younger than 16 which may be ignored anyway. 

@bakphx1@aol.com thank you for your feedback. I didn't think it would be relevant since I was so young and it was very minor. I wasn't arrested. A cop came to the store but all she did was talk to us and waited with us until our parents came. I never had to go to court or anything, that's why I didn't think I needed to include it on the i129f. 

Are you the petitioner? If so, it will be no problem at all. It's possible to petition with a far more extensive criminal history than that. My husband stole considerably more than what you did and spent 3 years in prison for his theft. And he successfully petitioned me. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

21 minutes ago, UKtoUSA99 said:

@JFH yes I am the USC/Petitioner. Thank you for your reply. I'm happy to hear that your husband's past didn't have a negative impact on the K1 ☺ do you think I'll be fine since I didn't mention it on my I-129f? All I took was some underwear 

Actually we did a CR-1 because we got married first. We did this so that I could work right away and a bunch of other reasons but that's another discussion. 

You didn't have to mention that on the I-129F if that was your only brush with the

law so it'll be fine. They run an extensive background check on you anyway, regardless of what you put on the I-129F. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.