fromphtousa.com

What was your job in the Philippines before moving to the US?

20 posts in this topic

Hey there.

I was doing digital marketing in the Philippines before I moved to the US last August 2017. Most of my relatives thought that I would not find a job aligned to my field because the competition is tough here. I'll find out if that's true once my AOS gets approved.

I'm just curious. What was your career back in the Philippines? If you already have an EAD or a Green Card, are you still practicing the same profession or did you change your career path?

---

Note to Admin: I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in the Job hunting forum since this question is just for Filipinos like myself. Please move this if it's inappropriate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was a licensed teacher (license expired). I taught grade school and high school for 5 years before switching careers. I worked for an American payroll company as a tech analyst/report writer in my last 4 years before moving here in Texas.  I just filed for my AOS/EAD/AP last Monday. I have checked my previous employer's job portal but most job openings they have are cities away from where I live. Teachers get sh#t pay here from what I've heard and been told so  even though I'm a trained teacher, it's at the bottom of my list.

Edited by notantifun

1 hour ago, notantifun said:

I was a licensed teacher (license expired). I taught grade school and high school for 5 years before switching careers. I worked for an American payroll company as a tech analyst/report writer in my last 4 years before moving here in Texas.  I just filed for my AOS/EAD/AP last Monday. I have checked my previous employer's job portal but most job openings they have are cities away from where I live. Teachers get sh#t pay here from what I've heard and been told so  even though I'm a trained teacher, it's at the bottom of my list.

My asawa was a teacher as well in Mindanao and she will never be a teacher here she said. 

Hi! I used to work as a workforce management analyst in the Phils. I am a green card holder and I am doing the same job here in the US. It took me 11 months, 3 other jobs, and 1hr and 30 mins drive a day to get and keep that job.

Edited by mrsphillips

5 hours ago, notantifun said:

I wish the best of luck on your AOS application. What kind of jobs are you planning to apply to when you get your green card?

4 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

My asawa was a teacher as well in Mindanao and she will never be a teacher here she said. 

Is she a housewife now or is she thinking of working again?

20 minutes ago, mrsphillips said:

Hi! I used to work as a workforce management analyst in the Phils. I am a green card holder and I am doing the same job here in the US. It took me 11 months, 3 other jobs, and 1hr and 30 mins drive a day to get and keep that job.

That sounds so challenging. Good thing that you got to practice the same profession here and the traffic here isn't as bad. 

Just now, filipinainusa0811 said:

Is she a housewife now or is she thinking of working again?

We have a 10 month right now but she plans on going back to school and get a nursing degree. 

Just now, cyberfx1024 said:

We have a 10 month right now but she plans on going back to school and get a nursing degree. 

Congratulations on your newborn! And I wish your wife the best of luck. 

8 minutes ago, fromphtousa.com said:

Congratulations on your newborn! And I wish your wife the best of luck. 

We have two girls together(4, 10 months) and we are done. So my asawa is going back to school in September. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, cyberfx1024 said:

My wife was a teacher also (In Cebu). Before that she worked for Philippines NSO (Now PSA).

She is going to nursing school here.

K1 Visa

5-04-16 – Mailed I-129F

5-12-16 - NOA 1

7-18-16 - NOA 2

7-25-16 - Hard copy of NOA 2

8-03-16 - NVC case number assigned

8-09-16 – Consulate received

8-24-16 – Interview date @ USEM - Approved!

9-16-16 - CFO completed in Cebu

9-22-16 - P.O.E. Boston, MA

10-08-16 - Wedding!

AOS

10-29-16 - Submitted AOS with EAD/AP applications

11-02-16 - AOS package delivered to USCIS Chicago lockbox

11-16-16 - NOA1 Text message with receipt numbers

11-21-16 - Received NOA1 Hard Copies
12-05-16 - Biometrics

02-14-17 - Received EAD/AP Combo card

04-24-17 - Received notification of AOS approval w/o interview

04-27-17 - Received hard copy of AOS approval

05-03-17 - Received Green card

ROC

04-08-19 - Submitted ROC Form I-751 

04-26-19 - Received I-797 NOA Hard copy

05-17-19 - Received I-797C NOA Biometrics Appt.

12-17-20. Interview: approved

12-26-20 Received Green card

N400 citizenship 

09-29-20 Submitted N400 form

10-07-20 Received NOA

12-28-20 Interview: approved 

I have Actuarial Science degree and been working for 4 years with Actuarial science expertise in PH and my first job in the US is a programmer. I got a job 2 months after I came here. I started looking after a month stay (I waited for me physical green card). I got a 2 year green card. I left the programming job after a month. It was not meant for me. But while I am still doing the programming job I kept looking for Actuarial job and I got it. I started working as a programmer May 2016 then got a new job June 2016 with same Actuarial job I did in the Philippines. I think it depends on your location. Here in WA a lot of programming jobs due to Microsoft.

Also, I worked in US company with external office in PH. Their main office is in Pennsylvania and I used them as my reference. I think it helped a lot for me because I have a US person as reference doing same degree as I have.

32 minutes ago, hyommysone said:

I have Actuarial Science degree and been working for 4 years with Actuarial science expertise in PH and my first job in the US is a programmer. I got a job 2 months after I came here. I started looking after a month stay (I waited for me physical green card). I got a 2 year green card. I left the programming job after a month. It was not meant for me. But while I am still doing the programming job I kept looking for Actuarial job and I got it. I started working as a programmer May 2016 then got a new job June 2016 with same Actuarial job I did in the Philippines. I think it depends on your location. Here in WA a lot of programming jobs due to Microsoft.

Also, I worked in US company with external office in PH. Their main office is in Pennsylvania and I used them as my reference. I think it helped a lot for me because I have a US person as reference doing same degree as I have.

It probably did help that you had a US Company to use as a reference because a number of employers are initially scared away from hiring people that are immigrants and not on a H1B. 

7 hours ago, jasper383 said:

My wife was a teacher also (In Cebu). Before that she worked for Philippines NSO (Now PSA).

Yeah my wife said she would never want to be a teacher here due to the respect issue. I asked because here in CA teachers make alot of money with good bennies as well. 

1 hour ago, hyommysone said:

Wow. That's very fortunate for you. My previous company only had a regional office in Southeast Asia and I've never worked for a company that had an office in the US. 

8 hours ago, jasper383 said:

Yes, we have a lot of Filipino nurses here so good for her. Did she think of going into public service here like what she did in the Philippines?

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, cyberfx1024 said:

My wife was an elementary school principal, and also a teacher before that. She chose to not be a teacher in the USA as well. Now she is a registered nurse and in the military.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.