RaspberrySwirl

Soldier: Honor troops like Va. Tech dead

62 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/afghanistan_fla...rog2RjLXZgDW7oF

By ALISA TANG, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 23, 11:16 AM ET

KABUL, Afghanistan - An Army sergeant complained in a rare opinion article that the U.S. flag flew at half-staff last week at the largest U.S. base in

Afghanistan for those killed at Virginia Tech but the same honor is not given to fallen U.S. troops here and in

Iraq.

In the article issued Monday by the public affairs office at Bagram military base north of Kabul, Sgt. Jim Wilt lamented that his comrades' deaths have become a mere blip on the TV screen, lacking the "shock factor" to be honored by the Stars and Stripes as the deaths at Virginia Tech were.

"I find it ironic that the flags were flown at half-staff for the young men and women who were killed at VT, yet it is never lowered for the death of a U.S. service member," Wilt wrote.

He noted that Bagram obeyedPresident Bush's order last week that all U.S. flags at federal locations be flown at half-staff through April 22 to honor 32 people killed at Virginia Tech by a 23-year-old student gunman who then killed himself.

"I think it is sad that we do not raise the bases' flag to half-staff when a member of our own task force dies," Wilt said.

According to the Defense Department, 315 U.S. service members have died in and around Afghanistan since the U.S.-led offensive that toppled the Taliban regime in late 2001, 198 of them in combat.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force said that the flags of all its troop-contributing nations are flown at half-staff for about 72 hours after the service member's death "as a mark of respect when there is an ISAF fatality."

Sgt. 1st Class Dean Welch, who works with Wilt at the U.S.-led coalition public affairs office, said the essay is a "soldier's commentary, not the view of the coalition and not the view of the U.S. forces."

Welch added that such outspoken opinion pieces are rare.

Wilt suggested that flags should fly at half-staff on the base where the fallen service member was working and in the states where they hail from. He said some states do this, but not all of them.

He wrote that the death of a U.S. service member is just as violent as those at the university last week, but it lacks the "shock factor of the Virginia massacre."

"It is a daily occurrence these days to see X number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq or Afghanistan scrolling across the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen. People have come to expect casualty counts in the nightly news; they don't expect to see 32 students killed," he wrote.

"If the flags on our (operating bases) were lowered for just one day after the death of a service member, it would show the people who knew the person that society cared, the American people care."

___

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No question about it. Each casualty deserves far more attention than it gets from our profit-driven media.

And we should also be mourning the Iraqi civilians dying at mind-boggling rates in senseless tragedies that our administration is in large part responsible for.

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

I AGREE WITH THE SGT. !

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

I agree too!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't. Soldiers willingly signed up for the gig. The risk factor is part of the job -- they

rolled the dice and accepted it. The students didn't expect to die in their classroom

when they signed up.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I don't. Soldiers willingly signed up for the gig. The risk factor is part of the job -- they

rolled the dice and accepted it. The students didn't expect to die in their classroom

when they signed up.

oh, brother MA, you hard azz..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/afghanistan_fla...rog2RjLXZgDW7oF

By ALISA TANG, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 23, 11:16 AM ET

KABUL, Afghanistan - An Army sergeant complained in a rare opinion article that the U.S. flag flew at half-staff last week at the largest U.S. base in

Afghanistan for those killed at Virginia Tech but the same honor is not given to fallen U.S. troops here and in

Iraq.

In the article issued Monday by the public affairs office at Bagram military base north of Kabul, Sgt. Jim Wilt lamented that his comrades' deaths have become a mere blip on the TV screen, lacking the "shock factor" to be honored by the Stars and Stripes as the deaths at Virginia Tech were.

"I find it ironic that the flags were flown at half-staff for the young men and women who were killed at VT, yet it is never lowered for the death of a U.S. service member," Wilt wrote.

He noted that Bagram obeyedPresident Bush's order last week that all U.S. flags at federal locations be flown at half-staff through April 22 to honor 32 people killed at Virginia Tech by a 23-year-old student gunman who then killed himself.

"I think it is sad that we do not raise the bases' flag to half-staff when a member of our own task force dies," Wilt said.

According to the Defense Department, 315 U.S. service members have died in and around Afghanistan since the U.S.-led offensive that toppled the Taliban regime in late 2001, 198 of them in combat.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force said that the flags of all its troop-contributing nations are flown at half-staff for about 72 hours after the service member's death "as a mark of respect when there is an ISAF fatality."

Sgt. 1st Class Dean Welch, who works with Wilt at the U.S.-led coalition public affairs office, said the essay is a "soldier's commentary, not the view of the coalition and not the view of the U.S. forces."

Welch added that such outspoken opinion pieces are rare.

Wilt suggested that flags should fly at half-staff on the base where the fallen service member was working and in the states where they hail from. He said some states do this, but not all of them.

He wrote that the death of a U.S. service member is just as violent as those at the university last week, but it lacks the "shock factor of the Virginia massacre."

"It is a daily occurrence these days to see X number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq or Afghanistan scrolling across the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen. People have come to expect casualty counts in the nightly news; they don't expect to see 32 students killed," he wrote.

"If the flags on our (operating bases) were lowered for just one day after the death of a service member, it would show the people who knew the person that society cared, the American people care."

___

Well he does have a point,but OTOH,we do have Memorial Day.

drinkblink14.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Anyone know about studies done on the motivations that trigger citizens to enroll in the military? It would be interest to know what percentage go because they are more or less forced to out of economic hardship and because of a lack of other opportunities.

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
No question about it. Each casualty deserves far more attention than it gets from our profit-driven media.

And we should also be mourning the Iraqi civilians dying at mind-boggling rates in senseless tragedies that our administration is in large part responsible for.

I agree about american casualties of war getting more attention, the Iraqi civilians in senseless tragedies, and about the profit driven LIBERAL media

I do not agree that our administration is responsible for it, even in part. President Bush is one of the greatest presidents that has ever served in office. He has taken it upon himself, against popular opinion it would seem, to personally insure the safety of the WORLD by seeking out terrorists where they live. Terrorism is the reason for the deaths in Iraq, not the president.

When Osama Bin Laden used commercial airliners to bomb the World Trade Centers in New York on September 11, 2001 the amount of support that the president received for his plan of ending terrorism was overwhelming. If he doesn't follow thru with his promise then I believe that he is not a man of his word. He isn't doing what is popular, he is doing what is right.

I suggest that you (mmarlo) look at the list of Senators and Representatives that supported the mission in the beginning. Consider those that have changed their opinions; vote to put elected officials in their place that will either stick to their word, or make more educated decisions on issues of such a great nature before they state their opinions. I have far more respect for those elected officials that have been against this mission from the beginning than the wishy washy majority that have proven thier inability make sound judgement calls.

You are living in the greatest country in the world. If you want to vioce your opinion about our duly elected administration I suggest that you do it in the voting booth.

In reply to the original post,

Most of the men and women that are serving in the military actions overseas are doing so with pride. Many have come from middle (or lower) income families and couldn't afford to go to their local community college let alone Virginial Tech. The military offers many incentives for the aspiring student; repayment of college loans, GI Bill, etc. and this may be the reason some of the service members sign up for their branch of choice .. they don't have rich parents or scholarships to pick the bill up for them. 315 of those service members (at the time of the article) died performing their duty and unless they come from near your community you never hear about those casualties. This needs to change.

My heart goes out to the families of the students that died and to the students that were injured at Virginia Tech, it truly was a tragedy. I do not believe that any sign of respect for the dead there should have been any less than it was, but perhaps we need to spend a little more time remembering all of that are cut down in their youth .. not just americans, everyone in the world. Maybe then we can justify our presence in countries where people die wrongfully on a regular basis (like the ones at Virginia Tech) at the hand of a terrorist.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one, but all of the times that I have heard statements on VJ about our current administration I just had to reply to this one .. this one hit really close to home.

My post is just my opinion

CB

Donnie and Sylvia

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

when they signed up.

oh, brother MA, you hard azz..

I'm not saying the troops shouldn't be honored, just not in the same way. :D

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

when they signed up.

and no funerals for police or firemen killed in the line of duty either eh?

i agree with the nco :thumbs:

and you the man, cb, for your post :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

when they signed up.

and no funerals for police or firemen killed in the line of duty either eh?

i agree with the nco :thumbs:

and you the man, cb, for your post :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

seconded !! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree about american casualties of war getting more attention, the Iraqi civilians in senseless tragedies, and about the profit driven LIBERAL media

I do not agree that our administration is responsible for it, even in part. President Bush is one of the greatest presidents that has ever served in office. He has taken it upon himself, against popular opinion it would seem, to personally insure the safety of the WORLD by seeking out terrorists where they live. Terrorism is the reason for the deaths in Iraq, not the president.

When Osama Bin Laden used commercial airliners to bomb the World Trade Centers in New York on September 11, 2001 the amount of support that the president received for his plan of ending terrorism was overwhelming. If he doesn't follow thru with his promise then I believe that he is not a man of his word. He isn't doing what is popular, he is doing what is right.

I suggest that you (mmarlo) look at the list of Senators and Representatives that supported the mission in the beginning. Consider those that have changed their opinions; vote to put elected officials in their place that will either stick to their word, or make more educated decisions on issues of such a great nature before they state their opinions. I have far more respect for those elected officials that have been against this mission from the beginning than the wishy washy majority that have proven thier inability make sound judgement calls.

You are living in the greatest country in the world. If you want to vioce your opinion about our duly elected administration I suggest that you do it in the voting booth.

In reply to the original post,

Most of the men and women that are serving in the military actions overseas are doing so with pride. Many have come from middle (or lower) income families and couldn't afford to go to their local community college let alone Virginial Tech. The military offers many incentives for the aspiring student; repayment of college loans, GI Bill, etc. and this may be the reason some of the service members sign up for their branch of choice .. they don't have rich parents or scholarships to pick the bill up for them. 315 of those service members (at the time of the article) died performing their duty and unless they come from near your community you never hear about those casualties. This needs to change.

My heart goes out to the families of the students that died and to the students that were injured at Virginia Tech, it truly was a tragedy. I do not believe that any sign of respect for the dead there should have been any less than it was, but perhaps we need to spend a little more time remembering all of that are cut down in their youth .. not just americans, everyone in the world. Maybe then we can justify our presence in countries where people die wrongfully on a regular basis (like the ones at Virginia Tech) at the hand of a terrorist.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one, but all of the times that I have heard statements on VJ about our current administration I just had to reply to this one .. this one hit really close to home.

My post is just my opinion

CB

You must be pretty hardcore if you still believe that (see bolded).